Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPEMM Yourself

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Spock, as Enterprise science officer, would also have a good grasp of the physics of warp drive, although our universe may or may not work exactly that way. You could probably devise experiments to zero in on it, though.
    Beast's science knowledge is beyond Spock's and everyone else's on that list. He's built teleporters and warp drives and spaceships and all matter of other nonsense - and that sort of stuff is kinda sorta not actually his strong point. Comic "science" is crazy.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Honestly, I have no idea what it would take to create true A.I., if that’s even desirable.

Or how to induce the tech singularity, if that’s even desirable (I’m suspicious).

I’m far less than any of the exemplars on this list, including Sparky the mechanic.
    General AI is a matter of time, if humanity doesn't wipe itself out or something.

It's certainly far more likely to be achievable in the real world than all the other crazy stuff that many of the characters on the list can do. Given that the characters have already worked out how to do this, I may already have a general idea of the scope and requirements of what I need to do. From there, it's a question of actually implementing it.

Now if we get the ability to "magically" just do all the things that the characters in the lists can do, then there are probably more impactful options. But going by real world stuff, achieving straight up technological singularity is probably what would have the largest impact and kind of lets you then transition to the other areas of science and technology that need attention.

The desirability aspect isn't relevant for me since this is something people are trying to do anyway. Responsible AI is extremely important, but it's a different topic from trying to achieve some form of progress, be it on an individual level or a societal level.

Heck, even if I can't achieve technological singularity, I can almost certainly automate all my day to day tasks, which itself is a huge bonus.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Beast's science knowledge is beyond Spock's and everyone else's on that list. He's built teleporters and warp drives and spaceships and all matter of other nonsense - and that sort of stuff is kinda sorta not actually his strong point. Comic "science" is crazy.
    Beast built Warp drives?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Each of these has a distinct superpower included as part of the package.

• Science ... Dr. Julian Bashir (DS9) - [you get his memory and ability to process data]....

• Programming: Douglas Ramsey (616) - [you get mutant translation power, but only for machine languages]....

• Electronics/Mechanics: Nikola Tesla (The Prestige) - [you get his fabled ability to visualize machine construction]...

• Mathematics: HAL 9000 (2001: A Space Odyssey) - [you get his A.I. supercomputer-level mathematical computational ability]....
    In addition to asking myself which skill-set most appeals, I'm also considering the superpower. The power that most appeals is Julian Bashir's super-memory and genetically-enhanced processing. It seems like something that would simply be extremely useful in all walks of life.

The scientific knowledge is a really big bonus, though. Not sure what I'd do with it. Retire to the country and run experiments to learn about the true nature of reality and so forth.