Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Gimmick covers is what will change the comic industry? Well it sure did in the 90s! Crashed the whole industry and made marvel go bankrupt forcing them to sell X-Men and ff movie rights leading us to the mess we are in now! It's coming full circle!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 07-12-2017 at 06:15 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Anyway this isn't the thread for this, this is about how gimmicky covers somehow change the industry according to Marvel.
    No one at Marvel said anything about the covers changing the industry. That's just the facile, snarky take - which sadly is all some fans want to bother with.

Ultimately, the Legacy books will be judged on their actual content. That they're doing lenticular covers with these Legacy homage covers just makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Why not do it? As soon as I saw the gifs, I thought that lenticular covers for these would look cool. DC still does "gimmick" covers of their own. The Metal preludes have sported '90s style foil covers and they did a whole month of lenticular covers during the New52 (villain month, I believe) so it's more than fair game for Marvel to go this route. And as these are variants, there's no need for anyone who doesn't want them to buy them.

How can someone still deny the burying of the Fantastic Four ?

- No book
    - Removed from games
    - Gazillon had trouble with Marvel because they wanted to make a F4 event.

Common now @Ianbarreilles, you're delusional.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    How can someone still deny the burying of the Fantastic Four ?

- No book
    - Removed from games
    - Gazillon had trouble with Marvel because they wanted to make a F4 event.

Common now @Ianbarreilles, you're delusional.
    I know what my stance is so agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Ianbarreilles; 07-12-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    No one at Marvel said anything about the covers changing the industry. That's just the facile, snarky take - which sadly is all some fans want to bother with.

Ultimately, the Legacy books will be judged on their actual content. That they're doing lenticular covers with these Legacy homage covers just makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Why not do it? As soon as I saw the gifs, I thought that lenticular covers for these would look cool. DC still does "gimmick" covers of their own. The Metal preludes have sported '90s style foil covers and they did a whole month of lenticular covers during the New52 (villain month, I believe) so it's more than fair game for Marvel to go this route. And as these are variants, there's no need for anyone who doesn't want them to buy them.
    If Marvel didn't want fans to take the piss out Legacy, then they shouldn't have called it "industry changing".They should have called Legacy what it really was, a variant month, then people wouldn't make much of a fuss.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

With the news that Spirits of Vengeance is just a mini, Legacy has no new ongoings since the Falcon book is just taking the place of Sam's Cap book.

What a joke of promotion.
    Songbird Appreciation Thread

Support Flintstones & Future Quest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    If Marvel didn't want fans to take the piss out Legacy, then they shouldn't have called it "industry changing".They should have called Legacy what it really was, a variant month, then people wouldn't make much of a fuss.
    As some fans do nothing but make kneejerk, snarky observations no matter what, it probably didn't matter what Marvel said about Legacy in advance.

That said, the fact that people are acting like they already know everything about Legacy is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post
    With the news that Spirits of Vengeance is just a mini, Legacy has no new ongoings since the Falcon book is just taking the place of Sam's Cap book.

Moon Knight is potentially an ongoing among the new titles.

In addition to that, Marvel rolls out their fall launches over the course over several months so October - of which we haven't even gotten the full solicitations for yet - will not be the sum total of their Legacy books.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 07-12-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CIA View Post

Also Marvel Two-In One

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    As some fans do nothing but make kneejerk, snarky observations comments no matter what, it probably didn't matter what Marvel said about Legacy in advance.

That said, the fact that people are acting like they already know everything about Legacy is ridiculous.

Moon Knight is potentially an ongoing among the new titles.

In addition to that, Marvel rolls out their fall launches over the course over several months so October - of which we haven't even gotten the full solicitations for yet - will not be the sum total of their Legacy books.
    Moon Knight ended recently. It's more a relaunch than a new book.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm preparing myself right now...
    Well Marvel still thanks them for buying it regardless of what they do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    I can't beloved there are still people who don't believe marvel are trying to kill off the FF brand and tried with the X-Men and failed.

It's hilarious and disturbing at the same time, defending and making excuses for them!
    I would argue they are sidelined the FF franchise (somewhat) rather than kill it.

No one is really denying that the fact Marvel not owning the movie and some merchandising rights isn't a factor in their decision to do this and yeah it sucks but people make these same hyperbolic arguments about the X-Men line being killed and remind me again how many books they have? Because they still sell. Fact is apart from a minor uptick that was Hickman's run the book hasn't sold well in decades; That's why there is no FF book right now.

And yet despite there being little commercial reason for it we still have two FF characters placed in prominent positions in Marvel's publishing. Heck not only did we also get a Doctor Doom book and now getting a Marvel Two-In-One and people are still arguing that Marvel are trying to kill the Fantastic Four?
    Last edited by Orbus; 07-12-2017 at 10:06 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    Also Marvel Two-In One
    Yep.

Moon Knight ended recently. It's more a relaunch than a new book.
    But still, it's a new book whereas MK could've easily been left in limbo for an indefinite time.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Well Marvel still thanks them for buying it regardless of what they do with it.

I would argue they are sidelined the FF franchise (somewhat) rather than kill it.

No one is really denying that the fact Marvel not owning the movie and some merchandising rights isn't a factor in their decision to do this and yeah it sucks but people make these same hyperbolic arguments about the X-Men line being killed and remind me again how many books they have? Because they still sell. Fact is apart from a minor uptick that was Hickman's run the book hasn't sold well in decades; That's why there is no FF book right now.

And yet despite there being little commercial reason for it we still have two FF characters placed in prominent positions in Marvel's publishing. Heck not only did we also get a Doctor Doom book and now getting a Marvel Two-In-One and people are still arguing that Marvel are trying to kill the Fantastic Four?
    FF still sold more than Solo, America, Mighty Captain Marvel, etc. Not selling isn't what's stopping Marvel from doing it. If that was the case, we would have around 30 on-going instead of 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I think the issue with the first round of lenticular covers wasn't the covers themselves; retailers and readers seemed pretty enthusiastic. But then DC had a really short pre-order window, botched the roll-out, shorted the retailers, and caused a lot of ill-will.

I'm surprised Marvel didn't decide to one-up DC by going for photicular motion-vignette covers or something.
    Nah. The issue with DC's lenticular covers were they were nothing more than a gimmick with crappy content. Might work once but with frequent or repeated use, isn't as effective. Retailers overcompensated for the short supply on Villains Month when DC offered 3D variants again on Futures End and sell-through was poorer that go around. DC was pretty much just relying on gimmick after gimmick (events and variants) to sell their books and as the gimmicks lost their effectiveness, so did DC lose retailers' trust (and business).
    Last edited by rui no onna; 07-12-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Incredible Member

FF still sold more than Solo, America, Mighty Captain Marvel, etc. Not selling isn't what's stopping Marvel from doing it. If that was the case, we would have around 30 on-going instead of 52.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Solo is cancelled.

My point is that that FF hasn't really sold well in decades. You could still put a big name creative team any number of low selling books and have the potential for them to bounce back up. Good word of mouth could mean they'll pick up in trade and with Captain Marvel in particular...well the character has got a movie coming out, Marvel has every incentive to keep Carol's book going to see if the feature leads to an uptick in her comic book sales. Fantastic Four has had all that for years but something is obviously not clicking with readers.

What you're doing is criticizing Marvel for taking a decent chance on other books which might sell and not taking a chance on one that has consistently not sold that well for a long time. That is of course unless you don't count Marvel Two-In-One as taking a chance on the selling power of two FF characters stripped of elements that may not be clicking with readers. We'll see how that experiment goes and if it does succeed then movie rights or no then people at Marvel's publishing will begin to chat about a proper FF return.
    Last edited by Orbus; 07-12-2017 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Solo is cancelled.

My point is that that FF hasn't really sold well in decades. You could still put a big name creative team any number of low selling books and have the potential for them to bounce back up. Good word of mouth could mean they'll pick up in trade and with Captain Marvel...well the character has got a movie coming out, Marvel has every incentive to keep Carol's book going to see if the feature leads to an uptick in her comic book sales. Fantastic Four has had all that for years but something is obviously not clicking with readers.

What you're doing is criticizing Marvel for taking a decent chance on other books which might sell and not taking a chance on one that has consistently not sold that well for a long time. That is of course unless you don't count Marvel Two-In-One as taking a chance on the selling power of two FF characters stripped of elements that may not be clicking with readers. We'll see how that experiment goes and if it does succeed then movie rights or no then people at Marvel's publishing will begin to chat about a proper FF return.
    You nailed it (bold). They don't have the FF's right. That is the actual reason.

Hulk hasn't sold well in many years and he has an on-going. Same goes for the Inhumans, etc.

Let's be real, not selling isn't the reason. Why did Gazillon (Marvel heroes) got in trouble because they wanted to make a FF event. Why isn't there any toys, why aren't they in any Marvel promo image. Please.

In 2015 :
    - Fantastic Four 645 = 40,823 (last issue I think).
    - Fantastic Four 644 = 33,297

Those numbers are better than most on-going they have right now.