Page 869 of 985 FirstFirst ... 369769819859865866867868869870871872873879919969 ... LastLast
Results 13,021 to 13,035 of 14769
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Also a lot of white people. I mean, we've all heard the old joke about the kid whose only qualification for the school he's attending is that his daddy bought the school a new gymnasium. No, the only reason this is news is because it involves a few actresses we all thought of as "nice" because they never said anything offensive in an interview or on Twitter.
    Yeah, actresses who are probably already hiding behind the skirts of high priced lawyers eager to plea bargain their brains out for their clients so they'll never see so much as a minute in even a courtroom, never mind prison.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Trump just suggested his SA equivalent (Bikers for Trump) and other groups should start a civil war if action is taken against him.

Perfectly normal. It's perfectly normal to stay a registered Republican even after it became the party of Trump. After all, Republicans are just following orders.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    So is he going to get a hundred thousand years in prison like Smollett?
    Smollett made multiple false statements to different types of authorities, regarding a physical attack. Though I'd have no problem with throwing Wohl in jail and giving him the maximum sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I just want to point out that Mets is defending voter suppression by pointing to a supposed mistatement by Hillary Clinton while thousands of eligible voters were, in fact, deterrred by unecessary laws which were designed as part of a multi pronged voter suppression effort by the GOP.

Thank you for tacitly acknowledging the fact that thousands of voters were deterred or unable to vote because of these laws. Now add in all the other GOP voter suppression policies.
    I don't think it's a "supposed" misstatement by Hillary Clinton. From what I've read, and from the Washington Post fact-check, there's no question about whether she was objectively wrong on several counts.

Before I address any other points, we should get this matter of unambiguous fact settled. There's no point in any discussion in which objective facts are in dispute. It's one thing to argue about the significance of crime statistics in Chicago; it's another to argue about whether Chicago is in Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by aja_christopher View Post
    I think that -- like the habitual liar Trump -- you're trying to find excuses to promote the "open borders" lie and to deflect from the corrupt Republican party's factual and legally proven concentrated effort to disenfranchise minorities.

The original point stands: you have no

The biggest shock may be that they couldn't find a legal way to get their kids into USC.
    real facts to back up your assertion that the Democrats seek "open borders" and their actual record on immigration is solid -- your (and Trump's) "reasoning" is both flimsy and biased, based on "t-shirts" and "suspicion" rather than actual policy and results.

-----
    "Voter suppression is treason at the most basic level and should be prosecuted as such."

Edit: And just to be clear -- these posts aren't to "change your opinion" but to further expose the lies and corruption within the Republican party.
    You're not answering the questions. Have Democrats expressed any opinion on a limiting principle on legal immigration (an upper limit on the number of immigrants who should be allowed in)? If not, what should we infer from the silence, and why should we infer that?

I'm not deflecting from voter suppression, since this chain of posts started with the suggestion that my comments on the topic of legal immigration were so outrageous as to merit bringing up again weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Why is everyone acting all surprised by this college admissions scandal? I thought it was common knowledge that the entire system was completely corrupt and tilted toward affluent and undeserving brats, as just about anyone who has spent time at one of these elite universities in any capacity will tell you in a heartbeat. Prosecuting a few D-list celebrities and going back to pretending that everything's fine is not going to fix anything, and actually trying to tackle the root of problem may just cause the whole system of higher education to unravel before our very eyes.
    The biggest shock may be that they couldn't find a legal way to get their kids into USC.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You're not answering the questions.
    Because the questions are irrelevant to the facts: namely that the Democrats have a solid record of negative immigration and have not proposed open border policies.

Conversely, the Republican record on immigration involves racist border wall proposals based on lies and separating mothers from children with no plans for reunification.

-----
    Facts (including citations):

The Trump administration family separation policy is an aspect of U.S. President Donald Trump's immigration policy. The policy was presented to the public as a "zero tolerance" approach intended to deter illegal immigration and to encourage tougher legislation.[1][2][3][4] It was adopted across the whole U.S.–Mexico border from April 2018 until June 2018,[5][6][7] however later investigations found that the practice of family separations had begun a year previous to the public announcement.[8] Under the policy, federal authorities separated children from parents or guardians with whom they had entered the US.[6][9][10] The adults were prosecuted and held in federal jails, and the children placed under the supervision of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.[6]

By early June 2018, it emerged that the policy did not include measures to reunite the families that it had separated.[11][12] Following national and international criticism,[13][14][15][16][17][18] on June 20, 2018, President Trump signed an executive order ending family separations at the border.[7] However in March 2019, a government report showed that since that time 245 children had been removed from their families, in some cases without clear documentation undertaken to track them in order to reunite them with their parents.[19]

On July 26, 2018, the Trump administration said that 1,442 children had been reunited with their parents while 711 remained in government shelters.[20] However, in January 2019 the administration acknowledged that thousands of children affected by the policy remained separated from their families, with officials uncertain of the exact number.[21][22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_...aration_policy
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-14-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I agree this appears to be all about hoping to catch lightning in a bottle for a second time like with Obama. But, yeah, O'Rourke is a nothingburger who's only going to be wasting his time, and everyone else's. Maybe Beto did read too many of his own press clippings and thinks he walks on water enough to take his shot, but it's much too early for a neophyte such as him.
    i still think that he has running mate written all over him. i don't think that he'd win a primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Smollett made multiple false statements to different types of authorities, regarding a physical attack. Though I'd have no problem with throwing Wohl in jail and giving him the maximum sentence.
    And what do you then think about the Manafort sentence?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Except for the whole they had an aura of coolness thing and actually accomplished things
    The ressemblance is purely cosmetic. He sort of looks like them.

Ultimate Member

Except for the whole they had an aura of coolness thing and actually accomplished things
    I'll wait and see what each candidate has to say in the primaries before judging.

------
    "Beto won 3 House races and spent 6 years in Congress. He has a longer political resume than Obama did in 2007."

"This one seems to be a viable threat to Bernie. Other candidates didn't seem to be pulling from the Bernie supporter pool, and other candidates didn't have the online presence or appeal to young people Bernie does.

Beto has both those things. Bernie supporters have been dreading this day for a while.

It's a year out, at least 3 quarters of the candidates in the dem primary will drop out before Iowa. It's too early to freak out. But any threat to Bernie must be met with immediate and vicious attack on Reddit.

It's exactly what Bernie has asked his supporters to NOT do."

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...rke_announces/
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Trump just suggested his SA equivalent (Bikers for Trump) and other groups should start a civil war if action is taken against him.

Perfectly normal. It's perfectly normal to stay a registered Republican even after it became the party of Trump. After all, Republicans are just following orders.
    Whoa, what????? Link please

Never mind, just found it. The thing is no one bats an eye these days when he goes full on Hitler with this kind of talk. I hope the police and military officials across the country issue a statement that they are not Trump's personal hired goons.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'll wait and see what each candidate has to say in the primaries before judging.

------
    "This one seems to be a viable threat to Bernie. Other candidates didn't seem to be pulling from the Bernie supporter pool, and other candidates didn't have the online presence or appeal to young people Bernie does.

Beto has both those things. Bernie supporters have been dreading this day for a while.

It's a year out, at least 3 quarters of the candidates in the dem primary will drop out before Iowa. It's too early to freak out. But any threat to Bernie must be met with immediate and vicious attack on Reddit.

It's exactly what Bernie has asked his supporters to NOT do."

https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/co...rke_announces/
    I already have their track records. If they something wildly different while campaigning it would be a major red flag.

As to your reddit post, it’s a pretty bad take. Bernie owns the youth vote and some aww shucks moderate from Texas won’t sway that imo. Also Beto has somewhat of an online presence but he doesn’t have the name recognition Bernie does. He’ll struggle to separate from the Warren’s and Harris’ of the world let alone the current most popular politician in the country.

That post was a major reach and based off the poster complaining about Bernie supporters it’s kind of hard to think it’s not a lot of wishful thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i still think that he has running mate written all over him. i don't think that he'd win a primary.
    That's my take on Beto tool. He managed to excite people enough during his run in Texas that he might make the perfect person to put on a ticket as Veep.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ultimate Member

That post was a major reach and based off the poster complaining about Bernie supporters it’s kind of hard to think it’s not a lot of wishful thinking
    If you say so.

Like I said before, I'll wait to see what each has to say in the primaries before judging.

Extraordinary Member

If you say so.

Like I said before, I'll wait to see what each has to say in the primaries before judging.
    Again we have multiple years of a track record for nearly every candidate. I really don’t need to wait to see if there words are different than their actions

Ultimate Member

Again we have multiple years of a track record for nearly every candidate. I really don’t need to wait to see if there words are different than their actions
    I hope you apply that to Sanders with regards to his civil rights record, especially considering the fact that Beto is getting promoted by Oprah, Ellen, and now Gayle King.

Point being, you can vote for whomever you want to, but there are a lot of issues that matter to other Americans that you might not be considering with regards to overall support. What you see in Sanders, not everyone is going to care about.

Regardless, the more you bash Beto, the more it shows you see him as a real threat -- I doubt that will stop you but it does confirm what people are saying about Sanders supporters, especially with regards to Kamala and Beto.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 03-14-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.b084e8678ad0

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8820381.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8822046.html

California’s governor has signed a moratorium halting the use of the death penalty, saying he would be unable to sleep at night if he sent just one innocent person to their death.

“I do not believe that a civilized society can claim to be a leader in the world as long as its government continues to sanction the premeditated and discriminatory execution of its people,” Newsom plans to say. “In short, the death penalty is inconsistent with our bedrock values and strikes at the very heart of what it means to be a Californian.”

Governor Gavin Newsom imposed moratorium on executions, because of his personal beliefs or feelings which he consider more important than the feelings of the victims' families.

Janet Reno opposed the death penalty but she did not let her beliefs influence her duty to enforce the death penalty.

First an AG is different from a Governor.
    Second, you support the death penalty?
    Last edited by Kirby101; 03-14-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!