Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member ComicBookNoob's Avatar

Default Buying TPBs if I Have the Comic Book Collection

What is your guys opinion on collecting the TPBs if I already have the complete collection of the comic books. My goal is to have the complete collections of some of my favorite series and heroes so would you guys recommend getting the TPBs even though I have the stories in comic book form?
    Check out my blog: http://comicbuffet.blogspot.com/

Favorite DC Heroes: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Green Arrow, The Ray
    Favorite Marvel Heroes: Daredevil, Spider-man, X-23, Iron Man, Iron Heart
    Currently Reading: Robin Vol 4, Iron Man, Teen Titans, Titans, Justice League of America Vol 5, Champions Vol 2, Invincible Iron Man Vol 3, Frank Miller's Daredevil

My opinions irrelevant really. Depends what you want it for.

If you cant be bothered digging out a bunch of back issues or just wanna keep 'em as pristine as possible then I guess having TPB's on hand as a "reading copy" is a good way to go about it.
    Obvious down side is the cost of double dipping. But thats up to you.

Mighty Member

Yeah to each there own. I sell of my singles when i buy them in collections, with a few exceptions. I still have my Mcfarlane ASM run and Dark Phoenix/DoFP issues. I also sell my trades when upgrading to HCs
    Last edited by awayne83; 09-06-2016 at 10:49 AM.

Fantastic Member

If I had a large collection of floppies that had any value, and knowing what I know now - I'd go right to the big HC collections and skip the trades all together.

BANNED

Wait for Hard Covers, just like i do... but if the title is something like Nightwing... then buy the TPBs cause there's no way that they are gonna republish it as HCs... lol I can proudly say that i once triple dipped, i'm probably a pioneer at this, the triple dipping. Is there anyone stu... i mean cool enough to do this ? the triple dipping ? i did it with The JSA, i got the single issues of the third (or second ? not sure) relouch of the title under Geoff Johns's pen and then i got the TPBs of it... becouse the single issues were kind of out of my reach and i wanted to reread them and then i bought the 3rd volume of JSA Omnibus and this was my third dip... (and there is no one to sell the trades here) what can i say, i'm a pioneer... lol It's best to Wait for The HCs cause HCs are the best format. Since i don't have anyone to sell the TPBs around here, i have to entirely pass on The TPBs and wait the hard wait for The HCs because of DC's stupid decision to release TPBs first... :/
    Last edited by Batarang; 09-06-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Spectacular Member ComicBookNoob's Avatar

Yeah I think I'll go with getting HC of the comics in the collections. I enjoy having the single issues so that's not going away but I guess I could skip over the TPBs and just get HC's of what my collection is. I was mainly wondering I guess if there's any real value in having the complete single issue collection and the TPB collection as well
    Check out my blog: http://comicbuffet.blogspot.com/

Favorite DC Heroes: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Green Arrow, The Ray
    Favorite Marvel Heroes: Daredevil, Spider-man, X-23, Iron Man, Iron Heart
    Currently Reading: Robin Vol 4, Iron Man, Teen Titans, Titans, Justice League of America Vol 5, Champions Vol 2, Invincible Iron Man Vol 3, Frank Miller's Daredevil

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Wait for Hard Covers, just like i do... but if the title is something like Nightwing... then buy the TPBs cause there's no way that they are gonna republish it as HCs... lol I can proudly say that i once triple dipped, i'm probably a pioneer at this, the triple dipping. Is there anyone stu... i mean cool enough to do this ? the triple dipping ? i did it with The JSA, i got the single issues of the third (or second ? not sure) relouch of the title under Geoff Johns's pen and then i got the TPBs of it... becouse the single issues were kind of out of my reach and i wanted to reread them and then i bought the 3rd volume of JSA Omnibus and this was my third dip... (and there is no one to sell the trades here) what can i say, i'm a pioneer... lol It's best to Wait for The HCs cause HCs are the best format. Since i don't have anyone to sell the TPBs around here, i have to entirely pass on The TPBs and wait the hard wait for The HCs because of DC's stupid decision to release TPBs first... :/
    The big question is, has anybody ever quad dipped? Singles>TPB>OHC>Omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post
    I think you can go single>tpb>hc>omnibus>absolute as well. Maybe with Sandman?
    or in case of the X-men single>tpb>hc>omnibus>ohc>adamantium and maybe the Anniversary hc? I can imagine DoFP or God loves man kills existing in all this formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I think you can go single>tpb>hc>omnibus>absolute as well. Maybe with Sandman?
    or in case of the X-men single>tpb>hc>omnibus>ohc>adamantium and maybe the Anniversary hc? I can imagine DoFP or God loves man kills existing in all this formats.
    I'd guess you could have a long string with Watchmen as well with all of its various formats and special editions. After my post earlier, I remembered that I've bought four different versions of Waids Daredevil, just the first arc though. Started with singles, decided to trade wait it and bought the first hardcover, remembered how much I don't like those crappy glued premier hardcovers so bought the tpb, since then upgraded to the OHC's. I don't plan on buying the omni though since that could be a sign of some sort of a problem .

Ive been toying with selling my Waid DD OHC's now that theyve announced an Omni...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Ive been toying with selling my Waid DD OHC's now that theyve announced an Omni...
    Proceed with caution. I'm fairly sure the omni only collects their first run, 36 issues. It may be a bit of a gamble to expect a volume 2 omni with their second run. I'd keep the OHC'S, but I also prefer the format over big omnis.

Mighty Member

Proceed with caution. I'm fairly sure the omni only collects their first run, 36 issues. It may be a bit of a gamble to expect a volume 2 omni with their second run. I'd keep the OHC'S, but I also prefer the format over big omnis.
    The omni is only collecting midway thru the 3rd ohc, so not the complete first series. There will almost certainly be a v2 released because they chose to do this.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I'm buying nothing but HC's, omnis and OHC's now. What I have in singles I plan on binding (although I've been saying this for years). I have a lot of comic book runs bound already and they are nice. So binding would be an option for you. Probably cheaper too than buying HC's.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I have Sandman'd, Singles - trades - Omni's - Absolutes,

Has anybody gone from buying only HC's to collecting trades? I swore off trades a while ago but have recently started buying them again (only marvel ones, ultimate and complete collections)
    Last edited by Hellboydce; 09-07-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by awayne83 View Post
    The omni is only collecting midway thru the 3rd ohc, so not the complete first series. There will almost certainly be a v2 released because they chose to do this.
    You're right. It collects 1-27 and a couple of other crossover issues. Leaves 28-36 and the 18ish issues of the relaunch for a second volume. I'd agree that it will most certainly get the second omni, but sometimes you just never know what Marvel is thinking. I'd still recommend waiting for the second one to be solicited. Keep in mind, this advice is coming from someone who sold a complete set of Ultimate Spider-Man trades when I bought the first omni. That was over 4 years ago now and I'm still waiting for volume 2.