Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Thought on James Gunn's "The Suicide Squad"?

I'm not gonna lie I am kinda pessimistic for it but the behind the scenes trailed did give me a little bit more positive thoughts. It does look like more of a Vietnam jungle setting which I will give credit for will be interesting. But as an unpopular opinion I think Gunn was a huge mistake to pick to direct this. I'm a big fan of Gunn as either a director/writer or as a person outside of Marvel I hated basically all his other movies (besides Brightburn I guess if you want to consider it a James Gunn movie) and the Guardians movies I think are way weaker compared to other marvel movies. The problem with Suicide Squad (including the comics) is how blatantly DC has been trying to cash in on Gunn's GotG and now they outright bring in the guy they were trying to copy. I know he has said he is basing it off the 80s run but considering he also claimed to have read most of Nova and GotG I don't hold him highly on being accurate to the comics. Again I will give DC credit the trailer did get me a tiny bit more optimistic for it but I'm not very excited for it still.

I’m extremely excited. He’s a great fit for the Squad I think, and he gets props from me for using a Superman Rogue. If it’s garbage though who cares? The first SS was utter trash so it’s not like he’ll be “ruining” a franchise.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The roll call trailer and behind the scenes short was fun.

it could be good, but I probably won't see it in theaters.

The cast looks impressive I'm not gonna lie, and the trailer looks solid. However, I personally haven't loved the last two or three James Gunn movies I've seen so I'm assuming I won't love this one. I think his style just isn't for me
    The J-man

Looks really cool.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like the trailer
    I like that the number of the cast means we're gonna have people dying in this Squad called Suicide

I probably still not gonna see it since the only character I'm interested are King Shark and Polka Dot
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-22-2020 at 07:37 PM.

Music of the roll call trailer was catchy. Probably not gonna see it but if I do it will be because of Elba and Cena since I'm not really a Gunn fan.

My main takeaway was Peace Maker's helmet really doesn't translate well to live-action. Not that it looked that good in comics in the first place, though.

I think it will be fun, but don’t expect it to be a big important step for the DCEU. The roster overall is a mix of well known squad members, a few competent obscure characters, and some goofy low totem pole villains there for the slapstick and to be killed off. I mean seriously how long do you think Arm fall off boy(TDK), Polka dot man, and the weasel are going to last.

I’m treating it as a B-action movie, because It’s not likely going to set anything up, it’s not introducing anything big to the overall universe, and it probably won’t impact any other movie. It’s going to be it’s own fun thing, and that’s ok
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m extremely excited. He’s a great fit for the Squad I think, and he gets props from me for using a Superman Rogue. If it’s garbage though who cares? The first SS was utter trash so it’s not like he’ll be “ruining” a franchise.
    Great fit for a modern SS? Sure considering modern SS has tried ripping off Gunn's GotG but for a SS based on the Ostrander run which Gunn claims he is using as a basis no he is an awful fit

Fantastic Member

I'm excited but they couldn't have gone with a better lineup?

Why waste Idris Elba on an obscure character that is being turned into a total ripoff of Deadshot....why not have him play Bronze Tiger or just recast him AS deadshot?
    Polka dot man, weasel, mongal, javelin, King shark and lock up over Punch & Jewlee, Nightshade, Count Vertigo, Dr.Light, or even a DC hero? Why can't they just do a faithful Ostrander adaption for once instead of just lip service
    and making up characters instead of using people from the DC stable? cmon

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I don't want to sound pretentious but no Bronze Tiger soured me and I don't care for it at all anymore. Harley looks nice I guess. Maybe the first trailer will convince me...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    I'm excited but they couldn't have gone with a better lineup?

Why waste Idris Elba on an obscure character that is being turned into a total ripoff of Deadshot....why not have him play Bronze Tiger or just recast him AS deadshot?
    Polka dot man, weasel, mongal, javelin, King shark and lock up over Punch & Jewlee, Nightshade, Count Vertigo, Dr.Light, or even a DC hero? Why can't they just do a faithful Ostrander adaption for once instead of just lip service
    and making up characters instead of using people from the DC stable? cmon
    So that a good actor gets to play a death scene? Or rather, build up a character nicely so that they're "kinda" likable then get a death scene?

Devotion to the original Ostrander premise.

I dunno, thought this looked like a fun little teaser. I didn't realize Harley was going to be in this. I like her costume better than previous ones.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Extraordinary Member

I’m supporting it just for the fact that if it does well, WB will have more confidence in less than A tier characters

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I’m supporting it just for the fact that if it does well, WB will have more confidence in less than A tier characters
    Well let's be real here Polka Dot Man and Arm Fall Off Boy arent going to last more than 20 minutes. And I feel Aquaman, Shazam and the up coming Flash movie are more than proof WB may focus on less than A tier characters

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Well let's be real here Polka Dot Man and Arm Fall Off Boy arent going to last more than 20 minutes. And I feel Aquaman, Shazam and the up coming Flash movie are more than proof WB may focus on less than A tier characters
    Aquaman and Flash are A-tier characters, along with Wonder Woman and Batman. Shazam, Black Adam and Suicide Squad are your B-tier, so I’d they’re successful it means we’ll get some Blue Beetle, Firestorm, JSA...etc movies.