Page 35 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    BP was viewed as a character that could never have mainstream appeal (although that was mainly in the comics community because said community is rather enclosed).
    People said the same thing about Dr Strange, Antman, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor, you'd think they'd be tired of being wrong

movie was very good, broke away from the formula a bit by having a lot less comedy and being a lot more serious, and it still worked.

This movie is really breaking out in a way I never thought posssible.

Like I said earlier, BP was viewed as a character that could never have mainstream appeal (although that was mainly in the comics community because said community is rather enclosed).

It’s very uplifting to see so many people across the world praise the movie so much.
    As a life long BP fan i couldnt have dreamed for it to be this well recieved. Coogler and Michale B Jordan are gonna be hollywood juggernauts if they keep this up. Fruitville station,Creed, and Now Black Panther are all great movies. And this might be blasphmey but Creed is my favorite Rocky movie. Also the best acting ive ever seen Stalone do. Im excited for the inevitable BP 2 with the increased budget. Wakanda was so beautiful from the landsape to the architecture. Imagine if this movies had a 220-250m budget. Which i think the next one will.

Ultimate Member

I REALLY liked this movie:

-The cast are all fantastic, with Shuri, Killmonger, and Nakia being particular standouts.
    -The female characters, with one exception, were all great overall.
    -The worldbuilding here is some of the best that the MCU has to offer, and the world of Wakanda itself is fascinating.
    -The action is mostly solid.
    -Killmonger gives Loki and Vulture a run for their money as the best/most interesting MCU villain to date.
    -Klaw is amazingly entertaining.
    -Etc.

My complaints are relatively minor:

spoilers:

-I kind of wish that they hadn't have killed off Killmonger and Klaw by the end. Both because I wanted to see more of them in the future and because that's arguably BP's two most well-known villains offed in the first film.
    -The transition between Klaw and Killmonger as the main villain felt kind of rushed and a bit clunky, and the former's death felt, unnecessary.
    -Some of the CGI wasn't great.
    -Ramonda was good, but a bit underused imo.
    -It seemed like they were setting up Killmonger's partner/GF to be a more important character, but then they just cast her aside without much fanfare. It was, odd, especially in a movie that does really well by it's female characters otherwise.
    end of spoilers

But still, I'd easily give it a 9/10, maybe a 9.5.

Whew... Armond White outdid himself in his review.
    Live true or lie well.

Looking forward to seeing it today. I'll come back and join the discussion soon!
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

This movie is really breaking out in a way I never thought posssible.

Like I said earlier, BP was viewed as a character that could never have mainstream appeal (although that was mainly in the comics community because said community is rather enclosed).

It’s very uplifting to see so many people across the world praise the movie so much.
    I wouldn't say he was a character that was viewed as never being able to have mainstream appeal. All the elements were there for him to be a viable mainstream character.

But I think it's just hard for a character to get that. Marvel and DC have been around for decades and they each have created maybe half a dozen or so characters with legit mainstream appeal of of hundreds and hundreds of characters.

But I think (and I've always thought) there was something special about Black Panther. And I think marvel thought that too, hence them trying to keep a solo book even when he wasn't a breakout star. But I think the perfect storm of events came together to create a legit break out star for him. This might not have happened 10 years ago, but the right director and actor and script just came together to catch lightning in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    As a life long BP fan i couldnt have dreamed for it to be this well recieved. Coogler and Michale B Jordan are gonna be hollywood juggernauts if they keep this up. Fruitville station,Creed, and Now Black Panther are all great movies. And this might be blasphmey but Creed is my favorite Rocky movie. Also the best acting ive ever seen Stalone do. Im excited for the inevitable BP 2 with the increased budget. Wakanda was so beautiful from the landsape to the architecture. Imagine if this movies had a 220-250m budget. Which i think the next one will.
    In the least it's probably fair to say Creed was the best Rocky movie in a long long time (though I'd say it's just short of being my favorite). And I agree it might be Stalones best performance. Coogler does seem to have built quite a body of work for himself. And ya almost have to assume he's got at least one more BP film down the pike, if not 2. That alone will probably keep him pretty busy for the next decade.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

If I may ask a few questions before I see it, do they explain just how Wakanda in the MCU manages to be so technologically advanced? And why they were isolated for so long?
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    President's Day.
    For some it's a holiday and others it's not.

Like my school district normally has school on that day and be the ONLY one in the city to do it. While everyone else is out.

Other reactions

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...frica-53161545

As the red carpet in South Africa swirled with stunning outfits and exclamations in the local isiXhosa language used in the film's Wakanda kingdom, cast member John Kani laughed at the U.S. president's views, which several African nations have openly scorned. (Oscar-winning actress Lupita Nyong'o said simply: "No comment.")

The South African actor Kani, like many at Friday night's Johannesburg premiere, expressed pride at seeing an Afrofuturistic society that celebrates traditional cultures and dreams of what the world's second most populous continent can be.

The film has opened in other top economic powers across Africa, where a growing middle class flocked to IMAX showings and shared vibrant opening-night images on social media.

"The African culture highlighted in the movie is so rich that it makes me feel proud of being black. I totally love it," said Liz Muthoni after a screening in Kenya's capital, Nairobi. "I can watch it again and again."

"Black Panther" screened a few days ago in Kenya's western city of Kisumu, where Nyong'o's father, Anyang, is the local governor.

"Sometimes we think that we have two choices to make in Africa," he wrote this month in The Star newspaper. "Choice one: We maintain our traditions and cultures and stay backward forever. Choice two: We modernize by becoming westernized and forgetting our cultural traditions which, by their very nature so we think, are stuck in the past. The experience of the Wakanda people teaches us otherwise."

In Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, "Black Panther" has been selling out its five-times-a-day screenings at the only theater showing the film.

"Moviegoers are enjoying the African heritage part of the film. This is also unique for us because Ethiopia is often mentioned alongside the black power and black movements as the only nation not colonized by Western powers," said Elias Abraha, the cinema's operations chief. "There are people who changed their flight plans just to watch the movie."

Some Ethiopian fans quickly changed their Facebook profile pictures and expressed their adoration.

"Tears stream down my face as I write this," said one Facebook user who goes by LadyRock Maranatha. "Black Panther was basically an enormous . roller coaster of emotions, adventure and most of all the affirmation of what I had felt since I left my country for Cambridge and came back. I cried for my people and felt immense pride in being Ethiopian and most importantly AFRICAN. We are truly resilient and beautiful."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    The Scene where this song comes on had me with the chills.

this one, the track that plays during the Busan chase, and almost everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    Whew... Armond White outdid himself in his review.
    That guy's such a dumbass.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if BP will end up beating Avengers Infinity at the box office on the domestic front. It's projected to surpass Age of Ultrons' 4 day haul. Such impressive numbers. Never imagined BP could rake in over 400M+ on the homefront. Maybe Infinity might barely pass by BP. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I wonder if BP will end up beating Avengers Infinity at the box office on the domestic front. It's projected to surpass Age of Ultrons' 4 day haul. Such impressive numbers. Never imagined BP could rake in over 400M+ on the homefront. Maybe Infinity might barely pass by BP. Amazing.
    Toping Avengers Infinity might be a tall order, because that movie seems the culmination of all the marvel movies. But if any solo movie can do it, it's this one.

I saw this last night with a sold out crowd. I am still on a high with this movie because there is so much to think about with it’s real world themes about Africa and black culture, as well as the super hero Marvel universe stuff. First, the Chadwick and the rest of the cast are phenomenal, but Micheal B Jordan’s Killmonger nearly stole the movie. Not since Loki have I felt compelled to sorta root for the villain. He is a ruthless killer, but you understand his motives and they make sense. And as a black person, you feel his pain about having an absentee father because in the black community, you know someone that has had to deal with that or you dealt with it yourself ( thankfully I never had to experience that pain). Also, it was nice to have strong women in the film that were important to the story. T Challa’s sister was one of my favorite characters as she was awesome! The cinematography and look and feel of Wananda was breathtaking. It felt like a real lived in place, though it did become obvious some of it was green screen.

For people that like to complain about MCU movies being to comedic this is your film, as this is the most serious of the films due to the real world themes it addresses. But that’s not there isn’t any humor because it is and it mostly works thanks to T Challa’s sister and Andy Serkis Klaw. The only real grip with the film is the CG and and the action scenes being a bit underwhelming. I mean they aren’t horrible by any means , but compared to action scenes in other MCU films or even some of the Marvel Netflix shows, they are just okay. The final fight was a bit of a let down too considering how brutal the first fight between T Challa and Killmonger was. Honestly though, the story and acting is so compelling that you won’t really care about any of those minor nitpicks.

I going to see this again with friends tonight and I can’t wait.