Page 38 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Did anyone have the no cell phone warning with Chadwick and Letitia right before the movie? It was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Did anyone have the no cell phone warning with Chadwick and Letitia right before the movie? It was pretty funny.
    Naw mines was the dumb M&M one.

I agree with the idea that Killmonger didnt really care about helping ppl. That was a guise he really just wanted to punish a destroy all Opressors. He saw the leaders of Wakanda as part of the problem. And he was definetly lashing out but im not sure how that maked him a weak villian. You understood his pain and sympathised with him while compeltely despising him for his actions at the same time. Thats a good character in my book

I will say when Killmonger said Hi Aunty everyone in the theater errupted in laughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    He wanted to fix how black people around the world are treated, he wanted every black person to have it as good as the Wakandans do and he was willing to do that literally by any means necessary. In his world black people aren't treated like second class citizens in their own country
    If he had actually wanted that, he would have approached Wakanda in peace and tried to work the system. He comes in, establishes who he really is (and the ID benchmark does seem to be rather low) and he's instantly got a seat in the inner circle (Royal blood and all that).
    Instead, the very first thing was a personal grab for power. He wanted revenge against Wakanda, he wanted to make Wakanda pay. Like I said, it seemed his entire angle was lashing out rather than actually really trying to help. We even see huge hints of this earlier in his life - he didn't try to fix things, he joined various military outfits and learned to kill and destroy as best he could. He saw destroying as a good thing, even giving himself scars as trophies. Glorifying the destruction he caused. Classic signs of someone traumatised and lashing out.

In a lot of ways I see it as really similar to what Megatron tried to do over in the IDW Transformers titles - his revolution may have sounded like a great idea but, in the end, it was about becoming a tyrant and obtaining personal power to make up for humiliation earlier in life. Killmonger was acting out of anger, hurt and frustration which clouded his judgement and resulted in his tantrum antics. His plan would never, ever work and his methods would be utterly self defeating.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

One aspect of Wakandan society that did puzzle me a little is the whole idea of the challenge day and challenging in general.
    Various Wakandans often said their society was better than the rest of the world (and on many levels it is, this much is obvious) yet the idea of the royal challenge boils down to one incredibly idiotic concept - that might makes right. That physical prowess is the biggest single criteria for someone to be king. Wisdom, intelligence, compassion, critical thinking skills ... none of these seem to rate under the Wakandan system at all. I would have thought that Wakandan society would have jettisoned such a daft power system literally centuries beforehand.

As terrible as, for example, the US political system is - it at least includes safeguards, power checks and balances of power. You have to be native born. You have to be, at least in theory, selected by your peers to be the best person for the job.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    He wanted to fix how black people around the world are treated, he wanted every black person to have it as good as the Wakandans do and he was willing to do that literally by any means necessary. In his world black people aren't treated like second class citizens in their own country
    And explain how he wanted to fix this (because it's key to making him a villain).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    One aspect of Wakandan society that did puzzle me a little is the whole idea of the challenge day and challenging in general.
    Various Wakandans often said their society was better than the rest of the world (and on many levels it is, this much is obvious) yet the idea of the royal challenge boils down to one incredibly idiotic concept - that might makes right. That physical prowess is the biggest single criteria for someone to be king. Wisdom, intelligence, compassion, critical thinking skills ... none of these seem to rate under the Wakandan system at all. I would have thought that Wakandan society would have jettisoned such a daft power system literally centuries beforehand.

As terrible as, for example, the US political system is - it at least includes safeguards, power checks and balances of power. You have to be native born. You have to be, at least in theory, selected by your peers to be the best person for the job.
    In the comics at least the system is semi-rigged, because the herb is poisonous to anyone outside the royal family. When Kill monger defeated T'Challa in the comics he ended up in a coma. Really, you can almost argue it's an unintentional means of eliminating rivals more than anything else.

Obviously the MCU doesn't have such safe guards though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Namor is a good option since he was hinted at way back in Iron Man 2.
    Once they get F4 rights , they could go a Doomwar route. Establish Latervia as a warring nation against the spread of Wakandan influence and Dr. Doom going after Vibranium as a first step in the post Thanos big bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    As far as the after credit scene....... Bucky gonna smash! Shuri seems to like White boys
    The actress is an adult but Shuri is supposed to be a teenager in the mcu...or at least that's what I've heard. If true, then that's a big hell no to Bucky smashing anything other than the heads of alien invaders.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Killing Killmonger was not only correct, it is vital for the plot. Sure he is likeable, sympathetic, and charismatic, but none of these outweigh the importance of his death to T’Challa and the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sure he is likeable, sympathetic, and charismatic
    I don't see him as any of those things.
    He's not likeable - indeed, he revels in death and combat. He treats everyone around him like dirt. His actions indicate he only cares about himself.
    Sympathetic - Not really. He'd only be sympathetic if his stated goals were his actual motivation but his actions indicate they're not. His actions are pretty much entirely selfish.
    Charismatic - His ability to hold the loyalty of his troops is extremely fleeting to say the least. Even the Royal Guard, whose whole purpose is to serve whoever sits on the throne, quickly grow tired of him and rebel against him in very short order.

To put it more succinctly, he was an arrogant immature snot who really needed therapy and/or a good slap up the backside of the head.
    @Matt_of_Geek

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I don't see him as any of those things.
    He's not likeable - indeed, he revels in death and combat. He treats everyone around him like dirt. His actions indicate he only cares about himself.
    Sympathetic - Not really. He'd only be sympathetic if his stated goals were his actual motivation but his actions indicate they're not. His actions are pretty much entirely selfish.
    Charismatic - His ability to hold the loyalty of his troops is extremely fleeting to say the least. Even the Royal Guard, whose whole purpose is to serve whoever sits on the throne, quickly grow tired of him and rebel against him in very short order.

To put it more succinctly, he was an arrogant immature snot who really needed therapy and/or a good slap up the backside of the head.
    Yeah, I can't agree with any of these characteristics either. People are disposable to him. He seemingly has a romance with a woman, yet easily dispatches her to meet his goals (which was to seize control of Wakanda and start a war against the rest of the world, instead of changing Wakanda and changing the world), among other "noble intentions" (term used lightly) type actions.

Which really just makes him the villain he needed to be (for movie plot purposes). I can certainly see the train of thoughts that led him to where he ended up, but I can't agree with any of his methods.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 02-17-2018 at 07:45 PM.

So, i’m not sure what to say about the movie itself; visually stunning, interesting from a cultural standpoint. I thought michael jordan did a good job at the end, when he shifted from the guy who wanted to watch the world burn, to wanting to see his ancestral home, one final time. I almost sympathized with him at the end. Chadwick boseman played the sympathetic king very well. I would’ve liked to see more interaction between t’challa and ross, especailly at the end. I would’ve liked to see where ross ultimately sided with, his american bosses, or the king who saved his life. I would’ve loved to see a dialogue where ross would ask t’challa how much about his country he wanted to share. Ross was so matter of fact about everything, from telling the women about killmonger’s cia past (how did he end up there?) to throwing in with t’challa to stopping the vibranium from leaving the country. Ross sort of reminds me of a certain SHIELD agent i know.
    Last edited by protege; 02-17-2018 at 09:08 PM.

BANNED

its not Ross' movie

he's just there to move some plot

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So, i’m not sure what to say about the movie itself; visually stunning, interesting from a cultural standpoint. I thought michael jordan did a good job at the end, when he shifted from the guy who wanted to watch the world burn, to wanting to see his ancestral home, one final time. I almost sympathized with him at the end. Chadwick boseman played the sympathetic king very well. I would’ve liked to see more interaction between t’challa and ross, especailly at the end. I would’ve liked to see where ross ultimately sided with, his american bosses, or the king who saved his life. I would’ve loved to see a dialogue where ross would ask t’challa how much about his country he wanted to share. Ross was so matter of fact about everythibg, from telling the eomen about killmonger’s cia past (how did he end up there?) to throwing in with t’challa to dtopping the vibranium from leaving the country. Ross sort of remindsme of a certain SHIELD agent i know.
    That's the downside of a 2 hour movie (or however long it was). I'mean sure there were tons of scenes which gave more development but ended up on the cutting room floor.

More could have been done with Ross certainly, and hopefully we'll get more down the line. They got a heck of an actor playing him.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

THAT. WAS. AWEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was everything I thought it would be and more! The story flowed perfectly, it had superb fight scenes, lots of action, great actors and the dialogue was perfect.

I love how the whole movie was centered around honor. Killmonger was not honorable. Black Panther was. I like how the point of that was driven throughout the movie, and it was great.

Outside of BP, Shuri stole the show. She was hilarious, kicked butt, invented cool tech, is beautiful and played by the amazing Letitia Wright. She was just outstanding! I really hope she has a big role in the upcoming Avengers IW movie. I want more of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BP was super cool. I mean, between his awesome display of fighting skills, sweet costume, impeccable character and big time tech...he was kicking serious butt! I thought all the actors in the whole movie were fantastic, but Chadwick was amazing. Him and Letitia...I just don't have the words. They were incredible.

Michael B. Jordan was also very cool as Killmonger. So was Serkis as Claw. I have to say, I was surprised they killed him off in this one. I thought for sure he would be in the next one. But that's cool because I don't like it when it seems like no one dies.

Danai was great as Okoye, as was Forest Whitaker, Lupia, Daniel (I've liked him ever since the Fades), Martin Freeman as Ross. All outstanding actors. I'm not sure they could have done a better job of casting.

The fight scene between BP and Killmonger at the end was really cool. The two costumes looked awesome, but I think BP's silver with black is more stunning and works better.

Towards the end of the movie, I leaned over to my son and said "I bet the last Infinity Gem is in Wakanda" and he said "Yeah".

I just love this movie. It's easily one of Marvel's best. I give it a 9/10. Now I can't wait to see them in Avengers IW. In the meantime, rock on BP!!

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor