Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Loved this issue. Finch's art was gorgeous, and I don't usually care for him. I'm very intrigued by Gotham and Gotham Girl, and the mysterious figure who killed that Kobra agent. I'm guessing he's the Big Bad of the first arc, if not the entire run.

Can't wait for more.

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but each of those 5 complaints would absolutely make the book worse.
    That's why it's an opinion. I didn't just say "the book sucks" i laid out all of my reasoning and thoughts behind it in depth. As i said in the post at the bottom i'm sure numerous people will enjoy it and it's just one person's viewpoint. The book i think would've been great others might not like and vice versa.

Although, i will say you sound somewhat biased by saying all 5 complaints would absolutely make it worse. I mean cmon. How can more background information on two featured items possibly make it worse, for Kobra it would've probably taken up 1 block of space to just say like "Kobra: A fanatical cult who's mission it is to bring about chaos". Or, even showing Alfred and that other guy a few more times. Fair enough if anyone disagrees but all 5 complaints, absolutely. Okay i'm having a hard time buying that in fairness.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-15-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    So you don't think Snyder was a good writer?
    I don't know about the poster you quoted but I do think he's a good writer I just didn't care for how he had to make every story "epic" or how he had to continually use the 'grand epic' model for nearly every story he did. That got repetitive after awhile and a bit predictable as well. It also didn't help that most of the time he was working with a year long story arc to boot. Both of those dragged his run down in my opinion. YMMV.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    That's why it's an opinion. I didn't just say "the book sucks" i laid out all of my reasoning and thoughts behind it in depth. As i said in the post at the bottom i'm sure numerous people will enjoy it and it's just one person's viewpoint. The book i think would've been great others might not like and vice versa.

Although, i will say you sound somewhat biased by saying all 5 complaints would absolutely make it worse. I mean cmon. How can more background information on two featured items possibly make it worse, for Kobra it would've probably taken up 1 block of space to just say like "Kobra: A fanatical cult who's mission it is to bring about chaos". Or, even showing Alfred and that other guy a few more times. Fair enough if anyone disagrees but all 5 complaints, absolutely. Okay i'm having a hard time buying that in fairness.
    I just think it's unnatural exposition, we know that they are "terrorists" though dialogue do these guy really need to explain to each other or the audience what Kobra is as they would more than likely never be mentioned again.
    Last edited by napolid; 06-15-2016 at 07:45 PM.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    I just think it's unnatural exposition, we know that they are "terrorists" though dialogue do these guy really need to explain to each other or the audience what Kobra is as they would more than likely never be mentioned again.
    Like i mentioned i meant how Marvel does it sometimes. Outside of dialogue in what i can only call an "information box" for lack of knowing what else to call it.

For example when it showed the Kobra symbol or the Kobra member there would be an information box hovering around it that said something along the lines of what i put, just giving a little more background/context to it. I find that to be of help as i don't always follow the same book and can read a wide variety which causes one to mix things up or forget things. Or, just missing a few issues. Not everyone buys every issue they might check in every so often or jump back in after a break and that can be of use, at least for me i find it to be. In this instance, i couldn't for the life of me remember who or what Kobra was and i didn't know who that new guy was. That frustrated me a little to where an information box would've went a long way.

EDIT: Added in a further example. Say if Doctor Strange appeared it would go something like this:

(((Insert image of Doctor Stranger here)))
    Doctor Strange
    [Sorcerer Supreme. Currently heading up the magic division of the Avengers. Not in a good mood.]

Doctor Strange: Where's Tony! *Cut to Tony hiding from Strange around the corner*

Just that little bit of context/background i find goes a long way. It might not be for everyone but it's my complaints/opinion. The "not in a good mood" is more about adding a little bit of extra humor to it not really necessary. That bit can add some extra layers to the scene sometimes though.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-16-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

Excellent issue, but just wish the art was better. Not the biggest fan of Finch.

Mixed feelings about it.
    I don't like Batman being too far away from reality. Come on, saving a plane between breakfast and lunchbreak...
    The set-up was OK, King is able to pull the reader in. I just forgot the new guy in training, still unaware what he was all about.
    Loved the ending with the Gothams, Bruce didn't look too pleased.

Artwise I have been a Finch fan since his start at TopCow, thanks to Batt his art looks uncluttered, has room to breathe and the colours add a great atmosphere.

I'm in for the next issue to see where King takes us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Id love an explanation for who and what gotham and gotham girl are.
    They're d-bags that let Batman do all the work of saving the plane, duh.

Incredible Member

Sorry, this is a pretty off-topic question, but I haven't read Batman in a while...does he use guns in the comics, or is that just in the movies? I'm honestly wondering if that's an aspect of characterization that's carried over recently, not at all, or more gradually over the years than I realized. I assume that Bat-Gordon Suit had some kind of artillery, but is Bruce currently cruising around in the bat mobile launching missiles and such?

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Sorry, this is a pretty off-topic question, but I haven't read Batman in a while...does he use guns in the comics, or is that just in the movies? I'm honestly wondering if that's an aspect of characterization that's carried over recently, not at all, or more gradually over the years than I realized. I assume that Bat-Gordon Suit had some kind of artillery, but is Bruce currently cruising around in the bat mobile launching missiles and such?
    Comic book Batman stopped using guns in the early 1940's shortly before Robin was introduced. Aside from some elseworld stuff and moments of moral dilemma... no he does not use guns in the comic books.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Really enjoyed it. Like in Grayson, King doesn't spell everything out so you can savor the plot, story, and characters unfold. Gotham and Gotham Girl intrigue me. I'll be interested to see where he goes with those two, based on how he developed characters in Grayson. How long will it take the detective to decipher the new dynamic duo?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    It's supposed to be cheesy
    Is it? Why?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Comic book Batman stopped using guns in the early 1940's shortly before Robin was introduced. Aside from some elseworld stuff and moments of moral dilemma... no he does not use guns in the comic books.
    Thanks for filling me in. I like how they get around it with, like, shotgun-tasers in the video games. That works for Batman, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Gotham and Gotham girl? Really? They look like Kara and Clark just changed clothes.
    This felt very late-1950's/early 1960's to me (and not in a way I liked). You know, when Superman and Batman, or others, used to find reasons to dress up in different outfits and use different identities for an issue. Nightwing and Flamebird. The Rainbow Batman. Sir Prize and Miss Terious.

Of course I'm not saying this is Clark and Kara. But there's something just so flat about: Gotham and Gotham Girl, two unknown characters who can save a plane (like Superman and Supergirl always do), showing up in new and kind of generic costumes. What Is There Mystery? The issue didn't convince me to care. (The poster who said "it's supposed to be cheesy" may have captured something about why I didn't care very much. Why make them deliberately cheesy?)

I also thought Bruce's conversation with Alfred was way over the top. Batman risks his life every night, and twice on Sundays. He hasn't already had the conversation with Alfred about what to do if he doesn't make it home? The most prepared man in the world?
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Considering conversation, I think that difference is that he got like 15 seconds to save the plane and is aware that he will 100% die while doing it. You really don't get such moments while fighting bad guys each night. Thou that being said I found it also a bit too dramatic.

Well entire point of Gotham/Gotham Girl and that passenger panicking is to make a point how every major city has some big hero (Superman, Flash, Green Lanter) who manage to save stuff like planes on daily basis while Gotham has Batman who really can't do such things. So now we get Superman/Supergirl stand-ins who want to take over as protectors of Gotham since Batman obviously isn't good enough. Thats the main draw here, not their "mystery" or motives.

So anyway, great start, enjoyed it more than Rebirth issue.