View Poll Results: Should the Michelle Jones character be brought into Marvel Comics?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supporting character for Peter Parker

11 24.44%
  • Supporting character for Miles Morales

18 40.00%
  • Supporting character for Ben Reilly

8 17.78%
  • Supporting character for Gwen Stacy

8 17.78%
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I think many readers figure out that a beautiful young woman who is biracial, conspiratorial and artistic is inspired by Zendaya's MJ. Word of mouth will get around.

But it really doesn't matter if they recognize the connection. The point is to have a supporting character who serves a particular role and to do new stories involving a dynamic that worked in the movies.
    Michelle does not work in the movies as well as Mary Jane ( when we’ll written) does in 616, AU’s the newspaper strip or Into The Spider Verse, and replacing Mary Jane with Michelle will work as well as when they tried it with Gwen, Felicia, Carlie or anyone else: Most people prefer the redhead ( myself at the top of the list).

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Nobody would care if they tried to insert Zendaya's MJ into the comics. Nobody cares when they take characters created for the movies and shows and put them in the comics. We saw what happened to Coulson when they added him to the comics.

Her particular role is awkward first love, which is kind of hard to add to Spider-Man at this point outside of major retconning or a new continuity or a reboot.
    Or a new Spider-Man. Maybe adapt the alt-U Indian Spider-Man and tell his origin story?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Or a new Spider-Man. Maybe adapt the alt-U Indian Spider-Man and tell his origin story?
    That's the thing. Would Marvel rather put resources into trying to create a new supporting character for Spider-Man? Or would they rather put resources to create a new hero that could be marketed and sold to appeal to the public at large?

That's the thing. Would Marvel rather put resources into trying to create a new supporting character for Spider-Man? Or would they rather put resources to create a new hero that could be marketed and sold to appeal to the public at large?
    New hero, new continuity in general yes?

Astonishing Member

What resources are required for adding a new supporting character to the Spider-Man comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What resources are required for adding a new supporting character to the Spider-Man comic?
    Do you remember that the epilogue to One More Day featured MJ being shown the door and Peter meeting Carlie Cooper. It was very blatant what they were doing with that.

But did you ever notice how none of the new love interests created since have meant anything to the franchise long term?

The closest thing is Silk. And everyone hated her romantic relationship with Spider-Man to the point that Dan Slott took to twitter and actually apologized for it.

Marvel is going to need people to create both. There will need to be new heroes. There will also need to be new supporting characters for Spider-Man.

The writer and artist of Amazing Spider-Man can introduce a new coworker for Peter Parker, and a new superhero, in the same issue. Doing one doesn't prevent the other.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Do you remember that the epilogue to One More Day featured MJ being shown the door and Peter meeting Carlie Cooper. It was very blatant what they were doing with that.

But did you ever notice how none of the new love interests created since have meant anything to the franchise long term?

The closest thing is Silk. And everyone hated her romantic relationship with Spider-Man to the point that Dan Slott took to twitter and actually apologized for it.
    Okay, but what resources are required for adding a new supporting character to the Spider-Man comic?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel is going to need people to create both. There will need to be new heroes. There will also need to be new supporting characters for Spider-Man.

The writer and artist of Amazing Spider-Man can introduce a new coworker for Peter Parker, and a new superhero, in the same issue. Doing one doesn't prevent the other.
    What role do you think the new supporting character should have in a nearly 60 year old franchise?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Okay, but what resources are required for adding a new supporting character to the Spider-Man comic?
    What role do you think a new supporting character should have?

Astonishing Member

The closest thing is Silk. And everyone hated her romantic relationship with Spider-Man to the point that Dan Slott took to twitter
    and actually apologized for it.
    That is exactly right and a point I made earlier (fans preferring Mary Jane over Felicia and the others). If Marvel thinks that Michelle is a good character, they can find a spot for her outside Peter’s world ( that is what happened with Cindy Moon ( Who I consider an inferior character to Michelle)),

This just feels like a weird conversation to be having for a character that is effectively a stand-in for an already established character because of the studios' shoddy execution and lack of commitment.

This is probably kind of tangential, but I was a big fan of Chat from Marvel Adventures Spider-Man. I think she's my favorite Spidey love interest.

Chat-with-Avian-accompaniment.jpg
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    This is probably kind of tangential, but I was a big fan of Chat from Marvel Adventures Spider-Man. I think she's my favorite Spidey love interest.

Chat-with-Avian-accompaniment.jpg
    Chat was alright, a bit too overpowered at times, but she had nice chemistry with Peter.

She's more or less in 616, showed up in Anya's Spider-Girl comic, but wasn't a mutant and basically was just a generic supporting cast member, from what I remember that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    She's more or less in 616, showed up in Anya's Spider-Girl comic, but wasn't a mutant and basically was just a generic supporting cast member, from what I remember that is.
    I did not know that. Although I remember Paul Tobin writing Anya's Spider-Girl comic, which explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I did not know that. Although I remember Paul Tobin writing Anya's Spider-Girl comic, which explains a lot.
    I didn't even know the same guy who wrote MA: Spider-Man wrote Anya's Spider-Girl... I guess it explains why Anya has a random cameo in MA:SM, and why Chat ended up in Anya's Spider-Girl to begin with lol.

But yeah, Chat didn't stand out much in there, and checking out the wiki, understandable, while Anya's SG was short lived (8 issues, 11 if you count the Spider-Island tie-in), Chat only showed up twice, and there wasn't much focus on her, she did seem friendly and snarky at least, probably could end up more like MA:SM Chat if there was enough time.