Page 21 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    The reality is that sooner or later Tim would have had to graduate the Robin role just like Damian will someday.
    They don't have to anything, it's fiction. DC just has a bad habit of creating replacement versions of their characters and not fully committing to it, then struggling to keep all of them around at the same time.

Tim's intelligence and costume because clearly Dick was a bumbling moron. I remember before Tim came along and Dick was a great detective. Tim comes along and he drops several IQ points.

And while we are at it that Suit was designed for Dick Grayson for the Burton Movies so it was always Dick's suit.

Perhaps if Tim Drake was created to be more than just Robin we wouldn't be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    They don't have to anything, it's fiction. DC just has a bad habit of creating replacement versions of their characters and not fully committing to it, then struggling to keep all of them around at the same time.
    Well they have to which is why he is doing and he did do. They are Fictional and DC has decided that they have to. DC has all four robins going and are currently making money off fans of all 4 sounds more winning.

Tim has been misused for years.
    Rebirth DC sticks him in nostalgic colours gets fans cash then promptly puts him on ice while stringing fans along with promises of a big role in Rebirth that never amounted to anything.

Bendis comes along brings back a missed team tells us Tim is Robin. The best robin in fact. Gets the fans money.
    Then we find out he's not using him in his big event that has the core Batfamily [Batman, nightwing, Red Hood, Batgirl and robin Damian] then we find out that Tim is actually not going to be Robin.

Sounds to me like they know exactly what they are doing. Call me cynical but it does strike me as they are not having issues keeping them all around but are stringing certain fans along.

BANNED

Tim's intelligence and costume because clearly Dick was a bumbling moron. I remember before Tim came along and Dick was a great detective. Tim comes along and he drops several IQ points.

And while we are at it that Suit was designed for Dick Grayson for the Burton Movies so it was always Dick's suit.

Perhaps if Tim Drake was created to be more than just Robin we wouldn't be here.
    Dick was still a great detective when Tim was around. He became dumber and dumber as time passed because thats the kind of character they wanted to sell, this carefree ladiesman with a heart of gold, trying to find himself and becoming an adult and his own man while staying outside the shadow of batman. I dont think it had anything to do with whatever the Robin at the time was doing, just kinda the direction they took with dick.

If anything his interactions with Tim were always as a mentor, so it always seemed that dick was smarter, wiser and more experienced around Tim than in his own book. Even in the storyline where Tim is shown to be a better detective, its not because of hes better at detecting, but because he is more detatched.

As to the second point, Tims problem isnt that he was made to be just Robin, any character can evolve past a role. The problem was comes from the fact that Tim, after the new 52, had nothing to evolve from. Continuity shenanigans ruined this character, and putting it all back together requires a lot of legwork. Tim wasnt the only character to suffer this fate with the new 52, just one of the most obvious examples.

Incredible Member

Well they have to which is why he is doing and he did do. They are Fictional and DC has decided that they have to. DC has all four robins going and are currently making money off fans of all 4 sounds more winning.

Tim has been misused for years.
    Rebirth DC sticks him in nostalgic colours gets fans cash then promptly puts him on ice while stringing fans along with promises of a big role in Rebirth that never amounted to anything.

Bendis comes along brings back a missed team tells us Tim is Robin. The best robin in fact. Gets the fans money.
    Then we find out he's not using him in his big event that has the core Batfamily [Batman, nightwing, Red Hood, Batgirl and robin Damian] then we find out that Tim is actually not going to be Robin.

Sounds to me like they know exactly what they are doing. Call me cynical but it does strike me as they are not having issues keeping them all around but are stringing certain fans along.
    Tbh idc for Tim not being in the family event. I just want a proper YJ contained run. The Bat Family has been feeling wrong for a while. Damian's back to being edgelord, Dick is Ric,Jason is a MK fighter, Batman is depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Tbh idc for Tim not being in the family event. I just want a proper YJ contained run. The Bat Family has been feeling wrong for a while. Damian's back to being edgelord, Dick is Ric,Jason is a MK fighter, Batman is depressed.
    I feel like I'm the only person who likes Jason's new design xD

You and me both mate on the bolded to be honest.

Agree 100% on the family currently feeling wrong. Rebirth started so well then it went to ****
    I don't care for Ric or this depressed Bruce but I'm liking Damian and Jason's current arc's.

I believe you will getting a proper YJ contained run.

Incredible Member

You and me both mate on the bolded to be honest.

Agree 100% on the family currently feeling wrong. Rebirth started so well then it went to ****
    I don't care for Ric or this depressed Bruce but I'm liking Damian and Jason's current arc's.

I believe you will getting a proper YJ contained run.
    After Ric, I realized being close to the Bat family = any Batman event happens will involve people around him to suffer. It's better to be in your own team outside the Bat realm. YJ is the last book on my wishlist so I really am glad Tim is contained in it. Removes the possibility of Bat events messing him or the team up/

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Dick was still a great detective when Tim was around. He became dumber and dumber as time passed because thats the kind of character they wanted to sell, this carefree ladiesman with a heart of gold, trying to find himself and becoming an adult and his own man while staying outside the shadow of batman. I dont think it had anything to do with whatever the Robin at the time was doing, just kinda the direction they took with dick.

If anything his interactions with Tim were always as a mentor, so it always seemed that dick was smarter, wiser and more experienced around Tim than in his own book. Even in the storyline where Tim is shown to be a better detective, its not because of hes better at detecting, but because he is more detatched.

As to the second point, Tims problem isnt that he was made to be just Robin, any character can evolve past a role. The problem was comes from the fact that Tim, after the new 52, had nothing to evolve from. Continuity shenanigans ruined this character, and putting it all back together requires a lot of legwork. Tim wasnt the only character to suffer this fate with the new 52, just one of the most obvious examples.
    Pretty much, Dick basically showed Tim the ropes of how to do the job right, in his first apperances Dick was the one that resolved the murders of the circus, while Tim conclussion was wrong.

I always find weird when people say that Tim's problem is that he wasn't designed to be anything more than Robin, mostly because none of the boys were mean to go beyond that either, Dick became Nightwing because he was thriving in NTT and couldn't be a sidekick anymore, Jason was mean to fill the hole than Dick left and was eventually rebooted into something more or less new, Damian was mean to die, even if Morrison knew that keeping something like that in the current market is impossible.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Pretty much, Dick basically showed Tim the ropes of how to do the job right, in his first apperances Dick was the one that resolved the murders of the circus, while Tim conclussion was wrong.

I always find weird when people say that Tim's problem is that he wasn't designed to be anything more than Robin, mostly because none of the boys were mean to go beyond that either, Dick became Nightwing because he was thriving in NTT and couldn't be a sidekick anymore, Jason was mean to fill the hole than Dick left and was eventually rebooted into something more or less new, Damian was mean to die, even if Morrison knew that keeping something like that in the current market is impossible.
    None of the others were created by committee with intensive data to be the ideal sidekick. I mean I strongly believe that characters should be able to evolve. maybe it's Tim's fans who can't see beyond Robin. I mean that's the reason why we are still having this discussion 10 years after he someone else inherited the Robin mantle.

It would appear that fans have their special bias tinted googles on when we read comics. Characters get dumbed down around tim especially Dick and Jason. I will attribute this a bit to up-scaling with each new addition [Damian upped the ante then Duke took it up a tad more leading to button pressing Rebirth Tim] but it is most notable where Dick, Jason and Tim are concerned.

After Ric, I realized being close to the Bat family = any Batman event happens will involve people around him to suffer. It's better to be in your own team outside the Bat realm. YJ is the last book on my wishlist so I really am glad Tim is contained in it. Removes the possibility of Bat events messing him or the team up/
    You are not wrong. Sadly the Batfamily has become angst fodder for Batman especially with the current run. Dick gets the brunt of it because he's under the batoffice and is closest to Bruce. I'm not looking forward to Leviathan and would be quite happy if Damian was just left out. As is it I'm more wary than excited for the event.

Metal was great but this I'm not feeling.

Astonishing Member

So...no one cares about this?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...ung-justice-7/

No speculation?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Tim’s getting a new name and costume in YJ #7 (according to Bendis’ twitter)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    So...no one cares about this?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...ung-justice-7/

No speculation?
    This was what we talked about. IDK why the author thinks this is a bad thing. As long as the name feels heroic its all good. I trust Bendis 100% on this. I hope it has the same success that Nightwing and Red Hood was for Dick and Jason.

Tim as Robin is great and i dont mind seeing more of it. But the character has to move on and grow up just like the gen that started reading him has.

Im also glad they confirmed a new costume too. Tim is more of a red and black costume char. Although we dont know what his new suit will look like.

Astonishing Member

This was what we talked about. IDK why the author thinks this is a bad thing. As long as the name feels heroic its all good. I trust Bendis 100% on this. I hope it has the same success that Nightwing and Red Hood was for Dick and Jason.

Tim as Robin is great and i dont mind seeing more of it. But the character has to move on and grow up just like the gen that started reading him has.

Im also glad they confirmed a new costume too. Tim is more of a red and black costume char. Although we dont know what his new suit will look like.
    Agreed.

I hope for a more yellow costume.