Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Here Come the Oneders!

With the Meh-Men thread going over like a meh balloon ('cause honestly, who wants to talk at length about characters that are, by definition, "meh"?), I thought I'd open up a thread about constructing a team of heroes that are much more fun to think about: One-Hit Wonders (or, in deference to decades-old move, "The Oneders").

Over the years, DC has done an admiral job of strip-mining its past, polishing off even the most obscure characters for reboots, re-imaginings, or even a quick death. But there still remain some heroes out there that have appeared once, and have never been heard from again. I say, let's make a team of these unpolished gems.

The Rules
    1. Heroes only.
    2. Heroes must have only made one (1) official appearance. Exceptions will be made for characters that may have appeared in a subsequent crowd scene, but ideally they should have only shown up once.
    3. (This will be a tough one) No dead characters. Some heroes were created to die. Tomorrow Woman. All those poor schmoes in the first issues of Seven Soldiers. Retro (hm, Grant Morrison seems to be involved in a lot of these, doesn't he?). So if they, appeared once and we summarily killed, they're not eligible.
    4. Have fun.

I'll open the nominations with two characters:
    Miss Terrific
    Before Michael Holt came on the scene, but years after the death of Terry Sloane, Miss Terrific took the DC Universe by storm. And by that I mean "she appeared in one issue of Hero Hotline in 1989." No one knows who she really was, or why she put on Sloane's costume, but she rocked it. You can check her out here.

X-Ms.
    Heckler was a spectacularly silly early-90's comic that featured an absurd amount of world-building around the Heckler's stomping ground of Delta City. In one issue, the Heckler goes on patrol, passing through a neighborhood called "Tinseltown," which celebrates Christmas all year long. It turns out that Tinseltown is guarded by its own vigilante, the white-skinned and somewhat morose X-Ms., who is put out by Heckler's trespass. She's there for one page, and gratuitously quotes Bill Joel. She doesn't even HAVE a DC Fandom entry, but you can see her one appearance here.

Any others?

Oh wait, another one:

Stretch Man
    In one issue of the Super Friends (which was mostly set on Earth-One so I say it counts), the Super Friends faced off against a bunch of apparent villains who resembled classic movie monsters. In a twist, the monsters turned out to be a team of heroes from another planet. They even had a scary-looking Green Lantern among their members. One of the heroes was the imaginatively named "Stretch Man," who had bandages (or were they actually part of his body?) that he could stretch and entangle foes with. He has never been seen again, and I believe that's a shame. Check him out here.

Moon Maiden. A really nice silver age inspired tale for a female Sentry in DC.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Moon Maiden. A really nice silver age inspired tale for a female Sentry in DC.
    I can dig Moon Maiden. After her initial appearance she's shown up in a couple of crowd scenes in JLA/Avengers, but got no more lines of dialog, so she counts, I think.

Personally, I think of Moon Maiden as sort of the anti-Triumph, like, "what if we tried to do Triumph again, but instead of a dillhole, she was so cloyingly friendly and lovable that she was practically a Mary Sue?"

Still, her introduction story was pretty cool, and it's a shame that more hasn't been done with her.

Wonder-Man

He was a Superman robot at one point, and used the name Ajax.
    One appearance as far as i can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Wonder-Man

He was a Superman robot at one point, and used the name Ajax.
    One appearance as far as i can tell.
    He's interesting, that's for sure.

But didn't he die at the end of his story?

Probably.
    So has every other DC character at some point.

-shrug-

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Probably.
    So has every other DC character at some point.

-shrug-
    True dat. But for this group, I'm trying to avoid "one-and-dead" characters who were created for the sole purpose of dying tragically/shockingly. 'Cause, frankly, we could (and probably should) fill out an entire team full of those.

This one's more about "heroes that were created, seemed promising, then no one used them."

Here's one of the more commonly-mentioned ones: Swashbuckler. Nephew of the original Vigilante. Secret identity Michael Carter (same as Booster Gold... weird). Resident super-hero of Houston. Appeared once, never seen again. Check him out here.

Okey doke.

There's a truckload of ersatz DC Supermen (and Supergirls) over in this impressive thread, at least half of whom *haven't* been used by Grant Morrison yet. One of them should probably be on this team, but who?

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    There's a truckload of ersatz DC Supermen (and Supergirls) over in this impressive thread, at least half of whom *haven't* been used by Grant Morrison yet. One of them should probably be on this team, but who?
    Okay, I take that back - approximately 70% of these guys were scooped up in Morrison's Superwatch, making them ineligible for Oneder status. That bastard!

Another one for the group... Mammoth Miss, the only female member of the fabled Space Canine Patrol Agency. She can inflate herself like a balloon.

Arashi

Muhammad X

Mystral

Honest Abe

Queen Cobra

Rajah Rahbin

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Arashi

Muhammad X

Mystral
    Arashi is keen, no doubt about it. Mystral gets bonus points for not even having a proper DC Fandom entry.

Muhammad X? I dunno, man. For a guy created in the 21st century, he sure seems like a walking cliche.