Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    The chains were designed to move stars between galaxies as well. The distance tossed is even to what the chains are stated to be able to do.

If you are implying that the one handed aspect of it is the important part, well the chains supposedly dont get damaged doing what they are intended to do. Like, I doubt its particularly stressful or difficult for them to perform their stated function. Yet Clark overwhelms and shatters them. And not just at the point of contact. They crumble into pieces at their thickest points literally meters away from his arms.

It's like if Houdini didnt just break a handcuff link, but instead shredded ever piece of the handcuff into junk.

I'm not arguing PC Clark isnt stronger based on other stuff, I'm just not seeing it from this example. In both cases "moves solar masses from galaxy to galaxy" is the baseline.
    I think what Pen is saying is that it is like comparing the chain you used to tug a heavy object on wheels vs casually throwing the heavy thing into the sun. (Right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think what Pen is saying is that it is like comparing the chain you used to tug a heavy object on wheels vs casually throwing the heavy thing into the sun. (Right?)
    Feels like an over analysis of what is effectively just two different things moving stars to different galaxies personally.

The weight, pressure, resistances, distances and harmful emitted radiation dont appear to bother the chains nor Superboys arm.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Feels like an over analysis of what is effectively just two different things moving stars to different galaxies personally.

The weight, pressure, resistances, distances and harmful emitted radiation dont appear to bother the chains nor Superboys arm.
    It's more like... you're reading too much into the chain feat, and being overly dismissive of the discus toss of a neutron star from one galaxy to the next.

One requires far more power than the other, bottom line, and it's not the chain feat.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    It's more like... you're reading too much into the chain feat, and being overly dismissive of the discus toss of a neutron star from one galaxy to the next.

One requires far more power than the other, bottom line, and it's not the chain feat.
    Why? Both things just need to overcome the things mass and not get damaged in the process.

We have like... no info on the chains other then the fact that solar masses getting shifted from one location to other is their intended function and it probably doesn't damage them to do so. But currently Clark can out muscle them to the point where the thickest point of the thing shatters like glass under a hammer despite being feet away from his arms.

I'm not even arguing it's a better feat. I just feel like they sit pretty comfortably on the same level as each other. If the neutron star feat is better, it's not so much better as to be in class of it's own in comparison.

If we wanted to get reaaally critical of the superboy feat, I think he says it's only trillions of tons and doesn't seem to be able to overcome its death grip on Kryptos metal collar.

Fair warning, I have not read that comic. I dont know squat about what happens before or after the tossing scene.
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 06-22-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

You're doing a really odd comparison of one man under his own power throwing a neutron star with one hand from this galaxy, into a different galaxy, in one motion, and really quickly at that, to chains that pull a thing via various means.

They're not comparable and it doesn't bear out.

I think he says it's only trillions of tons and doesn't seem to be able to overcome its death grip on Kryptos metal collar.
    He also says it's exerting a magnetic pull greater than a dozen supernovas if you really want to get into that.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 06-22-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Dont MAKE me put these feats under the microscope Pen. We all KNOW how discussing planetary bodies and the physics involved turns out between us. :P

*vietnam flashbacks*
    - big_adventure

Its possible I'm not wording my point perfectly. I get that the mechanics are different. I'll work up a better response after work.
    - big_adventure

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Strictly speaking supernovae don't have a magnetic pull.

They leave behind neutron stars or, even better, magnetars which have absurdly powerful magnetic fields but nova themselves don't have intrinsic magnetic fields.

I am aware this isn't the place for real science but I'm a helper!

Why? Both things just need to overcome the things mass and not get damaged in the process.

We have like... no info on the chains other then the fact that solar masses getting shifted from one location to other is their intended function and it probably doesn't damage them to do so. But currently Clark can out muscle them to the point where the thickest point of the thing shatters like glass under a hammer despite being feet away from his arms.

I'm not even arguing it's a better feat. I just feel like they sit pretty comfortably on the same level as each other. If the neutron star feat is better, it's not so much better as to be in class of it's own in comparison.

If we wanted to get reaaally critical of the superboy feat, I think he says it's only trillions of tons and doesn't seem to be able to overcome its death grip on Kryptos metal collar.

Fair warning, I have not read that comic. I dont know squat about what happens before or after the tossing scene.
    You're basically arguing that the durability of a rope that's capable of pulling a two-ton stone for as long as you need it to, is as physically strong as taking that same two-ton stone and hurling it into the sun.

Ignoring everything else you're trying to do by comparing the feats, that doesn't make sense.

Also, like, let's put it this way.

You need more strength to hurl something super heavy, than you do to be able to throw that same something.

The World's Strongest Man can lift 1,000+ pounds for a bit. The World's Strongest Man cannot lift AND throw 1,000+ pounds like a tennis ball. To then say, "but his pants survived the process of lifting it" is just... not the same discussion, really.

Even if his pants held up real nice after he pooped himself for trying.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

To be faaaaair... I don't think the physics make sense anyway you slice it, probably in either feat. Once you get an object moving in space it keeps moving until it hits things. That being said, I feel like the feat as presented is stronger because hurling an object like a baseball is more impressive than being able to drag the weight of said object. I'd be shocked if any of that makes sense for real world physics but that is my view of the comic book logic. One is presented as more than the other.

To be faaaaair... I don't think the physics make sense anyway you slice it, probably in either feat. Once you get an object moving in space it keeps moving until it hits things. That being said, I feel like the feat as presented is stronger because hurling an object like a baseball is more impressive than being able to drag the weight of said object. I'd be shocked if any of that makes sense for real world physics but that is my view of the comic book logic. One is presented as more than the other.
    Excuse me.

I was quite proud of my World's Strongest Man poops himself joke.

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Excuse me.

I was quite proud of my World's Strongest Man poops himself joke.
    I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry.
    This thread is done.

We have won.

Arx Inosaan

All-New Member

That's great and all but it has nothing to do with Superman, who didn't even move a star. He broke chains that could be used to do that. The number of chains, width, acceleration of the stars, the galaxy, the distance -- not even mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    So is he stronger then Superboy prime now
    Dude, that is a question that can only be answered with "Yes/No". Both being as equally right as they are wrong.

Prime originated back in the Silver age, and was presented as a precrisis Kryptonian who was immune due red sunlight. Yet, throughout the entirety of his time during post crisis, even after getting a buff via turning into an adult, he varied radically in power in a panel per panel basis, with showings ranging from being radically below Pre crisis levels(his flash phobia being a glaring example), to radically above it(such as him smacking around a 5D imp and killing the Anti Monitor who was far more powerful than he was back when he killed Pre crisis Supergirl despite not being anywhere near as powerful as he was when he clashed with the Spectre).

So...that is why your question is hard to answer.
    Last edited by Cody; 06-23-2020 at 01:43 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral