Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    It's not like DC fans never mentioned or celebrated the success of Aquaman and Joker.
    Usually as a rebuttal to claims about the MCU and the BO. Also people usually don't claim Aquaman is a good film because it made money.

Plus the commercial success of a project impacts how the series unfolds.
    I never claimed it didn't. Just that the BO is representative of the quality of the film nor its cultural impact.

The commercial success of Batman: The Animated Series helped launch Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League. WB executives would not have brought in Joss Whedon and demanded a 2 hour run time if Batman vs. Superman hadn't been a financial disappointment. If BvS had broken a billion dollars, Snyder's original plan wouldn't have changed, Justice League would have been Snyder's cut with a sequel released in 2019, and Snyder's 5 movie plan would still be happening.
    This is fanfiction. According to you, BvS did so poorly that they allowed Zach Snyder to work on JL to the point that the film was nearly complete and then...what, they just realized how much BvS made in the BO months later and decided to pull the plug?

Anyone who dismisses the importance of box office performance is in denial of reality.
    Depends on the context. If someone says Avatar, the Transformer franchise, all those live action Disney remakes, the Sequel trilogy, etc say these are good films because of their box office performance. Then yeah, I agree they are denying reality.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is fanfiction. According to you, BvS did so poorly that they allowed Zach Snyder to work on JL to the point that the film was nearly complete and then...what, they just realized how much BvS made in the BO months later and decided to pull the plug?

BvS was released on 3/25/2016 with the second week drops on 4/2/2016. The preproduction for Justice League had started in 2014. Principal photography began on 4/11/2016. The production of JL was too far along to completely scrap it. Scirpt changes were being made during production to lighten the tone of the movie. It was only after teh WB executives saw the assembly cut that Whedon was hired to do extensive reshoots with a mandated 2 hour limit on the run time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_(film)

Do you think this happened because the studio was thrilled with BvS performance? Zach Snyer himself says otherwise.

"The original Justice League that Chris [Terrio] and I wrote, we didn't even shoot," Snyder said. "There's a lot of it that we shot [but] the actual idea, the hard, hard idea, the scary idea, we never filmed because the studio was like, 'That's crazy.' And we were so insecure at the time after [Batman v Superman] came out, we were just like, 'I guess it is crazy. We're f—in' nuts. There's gonna be mass hysteria in the streets if we film this.'"

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/zack-s...ne-time-travel

Astonishing Member

Hell no,in fact I'm terrified that X-Men my favourite marvel property will be completely screwed by Marvel quippping and jokes.After how good First class ,DoFP and yes even Dark Phoenix were .I shudder at the thought.As for DC I have been absolutely mesmerized by Snyder's deep symbolic,realistic and profound take on the DC mythos.I don't care what the haters say MoS,BvS and now ZSJL will be my cannon.This trilogy will still be relevant even a decade from now.If anything DCEU not allowing for the original 5 part saga to be realised is my greatest regret.

Astonishing Member

BvS was released on 3/25/2016 with the second week drops on 4/2/2016. The preproduction for Justice League had started in 2014. Principal photography began on 4/11/2016. The production of JL was too far along to completely scrap it. Scirpt changes were being made during production to lighten the tone of the movie. It was only after teh WB executives saw the assembly cut that Whedon was hired to do extensive reshoots with a mandated 2 hour limit on the run time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League_(film)

Do you think this happened because the studio was thrilled with BvS performance? Zach Snyer himself says otherwise.

"The original Justice League that Chris [Terrio] and I wrote, we didn't even shoot," Snyder said. "There's a lot of it that we shot [but] the actual idea, the hard, hard idea, the scary idea, we never filmed because the studio was like, 'That's crazy.' And we were so insecure at the time after [Batman v Superman] came out, we were just like, 'I guess it is crazy. We're f—in' nuts. There's gonna be mass hysteria in the streets if we film this.'"

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/zack-s...ne-time-travel
    'The preproduction for Justice League had started in 2014' ...sources please? Otherwise don't make up outlandish falsehoods

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Except the BO isn't a measure of quality, which is what I was claiming. Bad films make money all the time.
    BvS and Suicide Squad making money is often used as a reason for why they were not bad films.
    When they made their money (mostly in the first weekend in BvS's case) usually gets ignored.

Hmm, early on when it seemed Warners/DC couldn't even get a proper Superman film right it was a bit aggravating in comparison to Marvel's success with their B and C list characters getting good live action representation but now that there's stuff like Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam out not particularly in my case.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    'The preproduction for Justice League had started in 2014' ...sources please? Otherwise don't make up outlandish falsehoods
    https://variety.com/2014/film/news/z...ie-1201165409/

Article from Variety dated 4/27/2014

WB has locked in Zack Snyder to direct, the helmer of “Man of Steel” and its sequel, which goes into production next month. The script for the third pic in the series is currently in development.

Astonishing Member

https://variety.com/2014/film/news/z...ie-1201165409/

Article from Variety dated 4/27/2014

WB has locked in Zack Snyder to direct, the helmer of “Man of Steel” and its sequel, which goes into production next month. The script for the third pic in the series is currently in development.
    That script was never written,Zack himself alluded to the fact that they had broad ideas for the 5 part arc ,but there was no script that early,the only script for JL he had with Terrio was the one filmed for the Snyder cut and it was complete after BvS, that was subsequently repurposed by Whedon contributing his own screenwriting edits to get screenwriter credit on the film.I would not call brainstorming of a general idea,pre-production there was no script

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    That script was never written,Zack himself alluded to the fact that they had broad ideas for the 5 part arc ,but there was no script that early,the only script for JL he had with Terrio was the one filmed for the Snyder cut and it was complete after BvS, that was subsequently repurposed by Whedon contributing his own screenwriting edits to get screenwriter credit on the film.I would not call brainstorming of a general idea,pre-production there was no script
    At this point you're splitting hairs. Snyder was hired in 2014 and was working on the script. The movie had been green lit and announced in 2014. The work began long before the box office for BvS was out.

Jealous of what? That Marvel got into the minds of some comic fans and movie goers to embrace their movie more than DC's. I hate the fact that people ignore Marvel's flaws, and that includes their Sony and Fox films. Too much dumb humor doesn't always equal success and a better movie. Plus, I just can't get behind half of Marvel's casting choices like Scarlet Johansson and Tessa Thompson. Also, people seeing having Batman older is bad, but Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne isn't? Gimmie a break!

Astonishing Member

Jealous of Marvel? Maybe a little bit, but I’m glad DC is charting their own path separate from Marvel.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Except the BO isn't a measure of quality, which is what I was claiming. Bad films make money all the time.
    This didn't refute my point, I never said it measured quality that's something else to measure success by. They do, that's why they get sequels.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    DC movies are starting to get it to get on track but at this point movie wise it would be better just focus on the movie being made and worrying about a shared universe later.

TV wise DC is kicking Marvel's ass seven ways from Sunday. Love it or hate the Arrowverse shows are light years ahead of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which is the currently the only live action Marvel TV show and I keep meaning to get caught up with but I stopped watching it after season 2. The rest of their shows (so far) have all been canceled Agent Carter, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil, The Defenders, Iron Fist, The Punisher, and The Inhumans. DC have tried and succeeded with other second and third string characters and teams like The Doom Patrol, The Teen Titans, Lucifer, and Stargirl even their so called failures like Constantine being incorporated into the Arrowverse.

Movies wise Marvel has won live action TV show wise DC has won. So I call it a draw.
    I can't watch a single CW episode and hate that characters like Green Arrow and Constantine are adapted like that. Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans aside.... Marvel wins

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I can't watch a single CW episode and hate that characters like Green Arrow and Constantine are adapted like that. Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans aside.... Marvel wins
    Agents and Inhumans aside all that is left is the Netflix shows, and they are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The CW shows are cringey, I agree with that. But Doom Patrol, Stargirl, and even Titans are better than a lot of the shows Marvel put out.