More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Default Alien rights in the MU

We've heard a lot about mutant rights and metahuman rights in the last decade or so, but has there been any discussion of the position of aliens in human society in the MU? Are they just lumped in with other metahumans, or are they treated differently in any sort of way? I think it would be interesting, if it hasn't been done already, if Marvel told a story about the government deciding to deal with the alien 'problem.'
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    We've heard a lot about mutant rights and metahuman rights in the last decade or so, but has there been any discussion of the position of aliens in human society in the MU? Are they just lumped in with other metahumans, or are they treated differently in any sort of way? I think it would be interesting, if it hasn't been done already, if Marvel told a story about the government deciding to deal with the alien 'problem.'
    Nuhumans, humans with latent Inhuman DNA, are technically part alien. They face a lot of discrimination and hatred in their countries. In one Inhuman story one of them was caged and being abused in Australia. In Secret Empire, they're being rounded up and put in prisons en masse. The Royal Family is viewed with immense suspicion as well.

If you mean true aliens who don't come from Earth at all I'd imagine it varies from place to place. In another Inhuman story, Black Bolt creates a bar that has a distinctly alien clientele. There, we saw a bunch of aliens, including some Shiar if I remember correctly. But that was in NYC. There were some alien refugees that Ms. Marvel dealt with in her run I think. Generally speaking, aliens are probably looked at the same way as mutants and Inhumans. Like mutants and Inhumans they'd probably try to blend in with the rest of society or form and maintain their own communities like Mutant Town or Attilan.

Might be interesting if a storyline explored a single country trying to establish valid diplomatic ties with a significant extra-terrestrial power.

The norm is just an alien race trying to simply attack or conquer or infiltrate the planet as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Nuhumans, humans with latent Inhuman DNA, are technically part alien. They face a lot of discrimination and hatred in their countries. In one Inhuman story one of them was caged and being abused in Australia. In Secret Empire, they're being rounded up and put in prisons en masse. The Royal Family is viewed with immense suspicion as well.

If you mean true aliens who don't come from Earth at all I'd imagine it varies from place to place. In another Inhuman story, Black Bolt creates a bar that has a distinctly alien clientele. There, we saw a bunch of aliens, including some Shiar if I remember correctly. But that was in NYC. There were some alien refugees that Ms. Marvel dealt with in her run I think. Generally speaking, aliens are probably looked at the same way as mutants and Inhumans. Like mutants and Inhumans they'd probably try to blend in with the rest of society or form and maintain their own communities like Mutant Town or Attilan.
    That alien bar sounds fascinating, is it still around? I do agree that most of them seem to want to blend in, but I think it would be interesting if there was a story dealing specifically with their struggles (other than the experiences of the Inhumans).

Might be interesting if a storyline explored a single country trying to establish valid diplomatic ties with a significant extra-terrestrial power.

The norm is just an alien race trying to simply attack or conquer or infiltrate the planet as a whole.
    I wholeheartedly agree. While leaving most humans at least somewhat in the dark about the MU cosmic realm does allow for the heroes to interact with the "real world" and preserves Stan Lee's "world outside your window," I think it's high time that there is at least some acknowledgement of aliens beyond just deal with individual super-powered people, forcing humans to deal with alien powers as a whole.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

I don't think aliens have any rights. I seem to remember S.W.O.R.D. hunting them down worldwide. On the flip side at the end of the short lived Squadron Supreme series it was shown that various aliens united (with Warrior Woman in charge) and formed their own country. Never touched on again.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Zarda (the evil version) formed her own nation (on Earth) composed entirely of extraterrestrials who found their way to Earth, for some reason. but that plot was clearly dropped.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

To be fair, without Terrigen, most Inhumans's Inhuman DNA are latent, Medusa has said it's just a way to distinguish Attilan's original citizens and new-comers, they(Attilan Inhumans, Nuhumans, also Tribal Inhumans) all fill in the big category of Inhumans.
    Also Inhumans are considered Aliens, what is it really the case? The Kree used the captuerd Eternals as raw genetic material to create Inhumans.(Not their own DNA like the MCU version.)
    Do Eternals count as aliens? They are Earth-born, sure they are genetically modified by the Celestials, but so was human.(Otherwise there won't be mutants.)
    So to me, I never consider human subspecies and brother races like Mutants, Inhumans, Atlanteans, Lemurians, Eternals and Deviants as "alien."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    That alien bar sounds fascinating, is it still around? I do agree that most of them seem to want to blend in, but I think it would be interesting if there was a story dealing specifically with their struggles (other than the experiences of the Inhumans).

I wholeheartedly agree. While leaving most humans at least somewhat in the dark about the MU cosmic realm does allow for the heroes to interact with the "real world" and preserves Stan Lee's "world outside your window," I think it's high time that there is at least some acknowledgement of aliens beyond just deal with individual super-powered people, forcing humans to deal with alien powers as a whole.
    Black Bolt's bar(the "Quiet Room") is a neutral ground for all kinds of people(heroes, villains, humans, aliens,etc.) You can do your stuff, have your meeting here as long as you don't pick up fights or you will be dealt with by BB himself. But I believe the bar is closed when Black Bolt left Earth.

Extraordinary Member

Mar-Vell was being hunted down during Kree/Skrull war, I doubt he had any rights back then.
    His son Hulking seem to have a life on Earth though, but does the people know he is a Kree/Skrull hybrid? Or they just think he is Hulk Junior.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    I don't think aliens have any rights. I seem to remember S.W.O.R.D. hunting them down worldwide. On the flip side at the end of the short lived Squadron Supreme series it was shown that various aliens united (with Warrior Woman in charge) and formed their own country. Never touched on again.
    Wasn't S.W.O.R.D. wrecked by a Brood/symbiote alliance? I'd really love to see a follow up to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Zarda (the evil version) formed her own nation (on Earth) composed entirely of extraterrestrials who found their way to Earth, for some reason. but that plot was clearly dropped.

They should bring this back. What species was the nation composed of?

They call themselves the Myriad and they took over the country of Alambra. They're composed of "the deserters and runaways from every race who have ever set foot on Earth," and their science is about a century ahead.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

^what Johnny Peril said. the invidual races weren't listed, unfortunately. but they were numerous. and they had infiltrated much of Earth. Zarda was only waiting on Namor to rule by her side before launching her attack on Earth.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-03-2017 at 08:03 PM.

y'know, until now i never realized how much Zarda looks like Elisa Sinclair/Madame Hydra. she's too obscure for them to use in a big event like Secret Empire. but consider her ambitiousness and the fact that she's from a different reality (a reason why no one would know who she is). now factor in that this particular version was ancient and worshipped as a god (one of her followers brought her back through blood sacrifice). that might explain Elisa's knowledge of something like Hive (who also might have been of extraterrestrial origin). then factor in that power-augmenting star creature (introduced in Hyperion's solo) that Namor has possession of (and Namor's involvement to begin with). don't mind me. biggest issue is that Elisa isn't as bold as Zarda. i just like drawing wild conclusions from stuff that I've read.