Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Default Master WuXian (The Legend Of Hei) runs a Gauntlet

So, on a long train ride the other day I got around to watching the Chinese animated film The Legend Of Hei. It has some very nice and dynamic fight scenes and some quite nifty powers on show.

In light of this, and to put the film on other people's radar, I figured I'd put one of the lead characters Master WuXian through a few fights.

All fights take place on an abandoned Manhattan Island. WuXian is healed after each successive fight.

1) Spider-Man, Venom and Carnage (616)
    2) The Black Order (MCU)
    3) The LotR Gank Squad. (Lord of the Rings)
    4) Invincible, Rex Splode, Monster Girl and Atom Eve (Invincible TV Series)
    5) The Justice League (DCEAU, not the Snyder cut)

FEATS - Containing BIG spoilers for The Legend Of Hei (you should all watch it)

- Snazzy multiperson fight:

- His introductory fight

- Versus FengXi

- Versus FengXi in the domain I (FengXi is slowly becoming quasi-omnipotent in this realm)

- Versus FengXi in the domain II (FengXi has more control over his powers but Hei ends up messing with his powers.)

How far does he get?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I'm really not liking the odds for the first group of three. This guy has some level of outright superspeed, a fair amount of either metal control or telekinesis, seems ridiculously tough...yeah, I figure he cleans up the first three.

I can't speak to the rest, because I don't know them.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-20-2021 at 06:06 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm really not liking the odds for the first group of three. This guy has some level of outright superspeed, a fair amount of either metal control or telekinesis, seems ridiculously tough...yeah, I figure he cleans up the first three.

I can't speak to the rest, because I don't know them.
    It's metal control specifically.

In his introductory fight, you get a good example how he can twist his bracelets from plates, to blade, to wire on the fly.

No thoughts on the Gank Squad?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    It's metal control specifically.

In his introductory fight, you get a good example how he can twist his bracelets from plates, to blade, to wire on the fly.

No thoughts on the Gank Squad?
    I guess I wasn't clear enough - I figure this guy cleans up on the first three choices on the list, ie up to and including the Gank Squad. He's too fast, he controls metals, they have an awful lot of metal, etc. As long as it works on 'All Metal' and not 'Specifically High Carbon Steel' or something like that, they're pretty screwed.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Cripes, with his speed he avoids everyone, takes control of the Deathiron and Anguirel, and that's pretty much all she wrote. :(
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Cripes, with his speed he avoids everyone, takes control of the Deathiron and Anguirel, and that's pretty much all she wrote.
    The speed thing surprises me.

He's definitely fast, his flight speed is really good and he's got some feats of reasonably complicated movement (when he blitzes onto the train to drop the rock guy in the first clip I posted) but I don't know if he's entirely too fast for say high bullet timers like Team 1 to react to. They'll have a hard time but it's not insurmountable methinks.

The Gank Squad clock in at what... peak human plus-ish right? As I recall? Something about some fellows dodging barrages of big explosions and whatnot? I figured their sheer numbers plus possible debilitating effect of the terror aura might give them something to work with. They are definitely hampered by wearing a lot of metal which puts them in a bad spot.

What if we were spot their weaponry and armour immunity to his metal manipulation? That leaves him with ambient metal in the environment only. That change anything?

The speed thing surprises me.

He's definitely fast, his flight speed is really good and he's got some feats of reasonably complicated movement (when he blitzes onto the train to drop the rock guy in the first clip I posted) but I don't know if he's entirely too fast for say high bullet timers like Team 1 to react to. They'll have a hard time but it's not insurmountable methinks.
    I'm not figuring him to be so fast he's 100% blitzing team one into paste. The issue is that he can play keep-away indefinitely, given his flight, his speed, the precision of his movement at said speed while using whatever he has for metal and so forth to try to ruin them. I guess Carnage might be impossible for him to put down? I don't know, what kind of hitting power does he have?

The Gank Squad clock in at what... peak human plus-ish right? As I recall? Something about some fellows dodging barrages of big explosions and whatnot? I figured their sheer numbers plus possible debilitating effect of the terror aura might give them something to work with. They are definitely hampered by wearing a lot of metal which puts them in a bad spot.

What if we were spot their weaponry and armour immunity to his metal manipulation? That leaves him with ambient metal in the environment only. That change anything?
    There's some argument for the Gank Squad to be at least Comic Book Peak Human in speed. We need to basically use Legolas as an example of that, Legolas being a dude who can draw an arrow from his quiver, fit it to his bow, and draw said bow 'quicker than the eye' while encircled by a group of angry, suspicious warriors.

1. This puts Legolas roughly CBPH in speed, in my opinion. Eldar are, in general, superior to humans in every single way (except dying */Dalek*). Legolas is a particularly strong Sindarin Eldar of the Third Age and has this nice feat in a book that is sadly lacking in feats in general.

2. Every. Single. One of the Gank squad would be superior to Legolas. Every one of them is a First Age hero, the Eldar are all either Noldor who have spent time in Valinor with the Valar (this actually has meaning), or Sindar who are considered the top warriors in a Sindarin kingdom that makes Mirkwood look like the sticks. They've all fought in countless battles against hordes of orcs and trolls. Heck, even the humans here have feats for either beating all hell out of Eldar with their bare hands (Túrin, Beren, Beren having beaten up one of the Sons of Fëanor, who are also in the Gank Squad) and evading them in the woods, or 'being Húrin', who feels that murdering countless hordes of orcs - alone - isn't enough, he has to go on to slaughter seventy (!!!) armed and armored trolls with a melting axe. Then we have Fingolfin, who is the guy kitted out in full armor (like, chain and plate) who nonetheless skips about like a sparrow, evading explosions in the ground that create huge craters from which lava seeps.

I'm pretty cool with calling at least a chunk of the Gank Squad CBPH-ish.

The issue here is that none of them can fly.

Beleg MIGHT get lucky with arrows. He's a First Age archer who Legolas wants to be when he grows up, by all accounts. Making his arrows immune to WuXian's power means he could land a hit. And with Finrod messing around with WuXian via songs of power - at the least, we know he can create illusions and such, and he fought with Sauron with songs in a battle that would clearly mess up the loser - and if Fingolfin gets worked up to 'suicidally enraged' levels to further debilitate WuXian with the 'I make armies pee themselves and run the other way' aura, I suppose the Gank Squad has a chance. But basically it comes down to Beleg and Finrod (and to some extent Fingolfin), because the others have neither ranged weapons nor actual feats for using what humans would refer to as 'magic' (and Eldar would simply call 'nah, that's just another way of fighting, what are you talking about "magic"?').

Fëanor, for example, should be perfectly capable of using 'magic' given the crazy stuff he has created, but we don't see him doing so.
    Why are we here?

That seems like a fair assessment, thank you for the breakdown. A tough fight for the Gank Squad but... possibly doable if we make their weaponry and armour immune to his metal manipulation.

Without it, as you say, he can just ragdoll them far too easily.

That seems like a fair assessment, thank you for the breakdown. A tough fight for the Gank Squad but... possibly doable if we make their weaponry and armour immune to his metal manipulation.
    Agreed.

Without it, as you say, he can just ragdoll them far too easily.
    Worse, they give him weapons he can manipulate that will shred them. Two of their swords are considered stellar even by the standards of the stuff made in the First Age: two-of-a-kind weapons, forged of a secret alloy known only to a single smith of the First Age, that slice through metal like it's nothing. One of them even holds some level of sentience, thanks to...fate? Something like that.

They're basically the Captain America shields of Tolkien. Only for killing.
    Why are we here?