Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Unless there's something in another verse readily available to consume as this crap goes down, I don't know if I can wait around again for this stupidity to die off. Its exhausting. If there's truth to this it might be a sign that my first hobby is coming to an end.
    Yeah I feel like maybe I'm just getting too old now and my time for comicbooks is at an end. These decisions Marvel and DC are making don't seem to be what I want or for people like me (or us), so maybe I have to soon choose a place to hop off the hobby with good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Yeah I feel like maybe I'm just getting too old now and my time for comicbooks is at an end. These decisions Marvel and DC are making don't seem to be what I want or for people like me (or us), so maybe I have to soon choose a place to hop off the hobby with good memories.
    Yeah, they want younger, newer readers (no idea how old you are). It's a problem. Starting in the 60s/70s, they started targeting older readers, trying to keep them in comics, etc. And as the decades passed, the readership got older and older. Not just because of the stories and complexity, but also because of distribution - I'm nearly 40 and never saw a comic book until I was a tween and my dad picked some up in and out-of-state gas station when were on a road trip because he knew I liked the cartoon version of the title. Subscription-only is not good for kids to be able to buy them themselves. Digital only works if parents will buy them for the kids. And they still have see the comics and know they exist. I thought the idea of the Walmart distribution was great, but they needed more kid-friendly stories on toy aisles, too. And tween stuff, and so forth and so on. Anyway, they've locked themselves into this problem where the majority of their readers are long-term and older in age and every decision has to be weighed on whether it will alienate more existing readers than it brings in new readers or the reverse, because long.

Ideally, of course, they'd find a way that would keep most existing readers engaged and draw in new fans, but easier said than done. Some will tune in for status quo shakeups and some are alienated by them. I'd go with less shakeup and more accessible storytelling (arcs contained to one comic, almost all stories (not arcs) take less than 6 issues, etc.) to try to attract new readers. But I honestly don't know if it would work, and it would cut into TPBs. The alternative is pretty much all TPBs, but then a lot more stories might be skipped and fans drift away if they only get new material a couple times year. Especially problematic for less major characters.

And, if the are still trying to keep a long-term audience, shifting the window to younger readers is the way to go. On the other hand, with so much access to back-catalogs today, even new readers may just read old comics instead sometimes. Like me - started reading DC a few years ago (was Marvel from 1990s to One More Day), and started with old stuff deliberately, and (no shocker) prefer the older versions of several characters/families.

Also, there's the issue of writing for the trades - so many stories take too long to tell or cross too many titles to be enjoyable for many readers as monthly titles, IMO. Thing is, those usually have to be "big" stories and are often meant to be able to be read as stand-alone, so continuity or consistency of characterization takes a beating. I don't know if that's just the way the industry will be moving or not.

Also events and character deaths and issues with "#1" on the front sell. DC needs those $$$. But often times to me, it seems like long-term potential/consistency is being lost for the short-term gain. On the other hand, if you go out of business in the short-term, long-term doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-07-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Well, its not like this recent Wonder Woman has been all that interesting. Maybe the new Wonder Woman will be...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    "And not the obvious replacement either, this is not about sidekicks of legacies getting a promotion but the new generation of DC Comics superheroes getting their shot."

If it's not the obvious choices Donna & Cassie - and I'd argue that Artemis, having already been WW, is too obvious, too - I'm having trouble imagining who it would be. Maybe Grace Choi, who I think was revealed to be part-amazon? Is she even around in the oft-rebooted DCU?
    The “pitch” is that none of the obvious replacements are taking the titles. So Luke Fox instead of Dick, Jon instead Kon or Kara, no clue who would be taking over for Diana. Maybe an OC? Lmao that would rub salt in the wound.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The “pitch” is that none of the obvious replacements are taking the titles. So Luke Fox instead of Dick, Jon instead Kon or Kara, no clue who would be taking over for Diana. Maybe an OC? Lmao that would rub salt in the wound.
    Maggie is the new Wonder Woman, lmfao!

BANNED

They immitate The Marvel now, or whatever that stupid crap was called.

All New, All Different Marvel. It was the one thing I feared about Bendis crossing over, what little I knew about his work at the time I knew of these particular bad Marvel "legacy" ideas. I didn't want them to start cropping up. Dc's in for a hard lesson if this is true.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

As long as it's not Jason...

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

She is already dressed for the role:

I was kidding but now I think it's inevitable that it's her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Not interested. Though if it's Donna with a fixed origin story I guess I wouldn't mind too much.
    you spend half your life believing your destiny is to one day to step up when the world needs you and the call never comes

I was kidding but now I think it's inevitable that it's her.
    If DC intends to use Maggie as the next Wonder Woman, I'm not sure what they're thinking (well, nothing new about that). Because I read everything about her introduction as a sidekick with a specific role in the narrative (as in both an enabler for a specific plot and as a specific role in the cast).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I don't think even DC are that stupid. Besides, if they want a black Wonder Woman they could just use Nubia instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I don't think even DC are that stupid. Besides, if they want a black Wonder Woman they could just use Nubia instead.
    They could but Rich claims the whole point of 5G is to not go with the obvious choices.

Astonishing Member

Donna should be the new Wonder Woman, it would give her much needed stability.