Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I sometimes feels like the to-know magic users of DC are pretty stagnant, so outside Zatanna as a generic answer (and I'm not sure how much I'd like Zatanna as a mentor in Duke's specific case), I'm not sure who else.
    Given her ties to the Bat Family, Zee is the most obvious choice.

Other possibilities:

-John Constantine (nope, he is more likely end up getting Duke killed than leveling him up).

-Dr Mist

-Dr Occult

-Phantom Stranger

-Madame Xanadu

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was thinking about something. so I noticed Duke has a mentor for each ability/skill be has:

Superheroics and Detective skills - Batman
    Martial Arts - Katana, Lady Shiva, and Cassandra Cain
    Metahuman abilities - Black Lightning

while it's unlikely him having magic outside of his Future State counterpart will be an actual thing, if it were, who would you want to be Duke's mentor for honing his magic abilities?
    Dr. Mist or Zatanna works the best.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Random Idea: Watching Hawkeye on D+... is that the way to do Batman and Robin?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Random Idea: Watching Hawkeye on D+... is that the way to do Batman and Robin?
    The tone/approach would work for Barbara Gordon, Tim Drake and Duke. Not sure how well it would work for Dick and Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The tone/approach would work for Barbara Gordon, Tim Drake and Duke. Not sure how well it would work for Dick and Jason.
    Yeah I agree with this.

Dick, Jason and Cassandra's relationships with Bruce are of a father and child. Under the Hood is a story of a father and a son to me. Cass would not work as Bruce's partner in Beware the Batman season 1. Katana and him feels like siblings than a parent/child. Ironically Huntress would be better.

Tim, Barbara, Stephanie and Duke have that element but it's easier to downplay. They all have parents and start out much older so tweaking their dynamic with Bruce is more easier. He becomes the cool uncle/big brother or an overdemanding boss.

Terry from Batman Beyond is a middle ground between both camps. But his Bruce is a lot older so it's less of an issue.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-29-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Dick, Jason and Cassandra's relationships with Bruce are of a father and child. Under the Hood is a story of a father and a son to me. Cass would not work as Bruce's partner in Beware the Batman season 1. Katana and him feels like siblings than a parent/child. Ironically Huntress would be better.
    Bruce doesn't really seem a father for Cassandra in her Batgirl comics. He was has mainly the mentor or overdemanding boss role. Barbara really seems closer to Cassandra in that aspect.

The idea that Bruce was a father for Cassandra popularized by the adoption at the end of Batgirl mini-series. And Cassandra fans wanting Cassandra to be considered part of the family.
    Last edited by Konja7; 12-29-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Astonishing Member

Other possibilities:

-John Constantine (nope, he is more likely end up getting Duke killed than leveling him up).

-Dr Mist

-Dr Occult

-Phantom Stranger

-Madame Xanadu
    I guess I just wished there were other obvious choices for Duke. It could be done well, but I'd kinda like to see another tutor Duke on magic, in such a hypothetical scenario.

Absolute concur that Constantine is a 100% "No." from me.

Duke & The Outsiders cameo in Shadow War
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Other possibilities:

-Dr Mist

-Dr Occult

-Phantom Stranger

-Madame Xanadu
    If he is still based in Gotham, Jason Blood would also make sense.

If he sticks with the Outsiders Sebastian Faust could also be an option.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Duke & The Outsiders cameo in Shadow War
    This surprised me reading Shadow War Alpha today, but it was nice to see it referenced. It'll be interesting to see if we get anymore of the Outsiders anytime soon, and what's going to happen with them with Katana joining the new Birds of Prey in Urban Legends.

Mighty Member

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #18
    Written by TINI HOWARD, BLAKE HOWARD, BRANDON THOMAS, CHRIS BURNHAM, HENRY BARAJA, and GREG HAHN
    Art by ROSI KAMPE, ALBERTO JIMENEZ
    ALBURQUERQUE, CHRIS BURNHAM, and SERGIO ACUNA
    Cover by LIAM SHARP
    Variant covers by DIKE RUAN and GERARDO ZAFFINO
    $7.99 US | 64 pages | Prestige
    ON SALE 8/9/22
    A string of new sagas begins! Tini Howard and Blake Howard pen an epic Batman story! Batman and the Outsiders have to save the Signal from burning out! A new mystery begins, starring Alfred Pennyworth before his passing, from all-star creator Chris Burnham! And in a story from Batman’s past, the Dark Knight must team up with Etrigan the Demon to stop the Reincarnators!

Astonishing Member

Hmm... I wonder what "burning out" entails in this context?

Mighty Member

I'm not a fan of how WFA has used Duke. He's just the generic new guy and is pretty bland and feels more like a device to showcase the other characters rather than being fleshed out/interesting in his own right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    I'm not a fan of how WFA has used Duke. He's just the generic new guy and is pretty bland and feels more like a device to showcase the other characters rather than being fleshed out/interesting in his own right.
    What's WFA, again?