Page 100 of 374 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 5596
    Retired

SUPERGIRL is a much more complex show than I expected it to be. Sure, it's no BLACK MIRROR, but it's punching above its weight.

Take for instance the POTUS. I'm sure they were expecting a woman to win the presidency in real life--so it's just accident that Lynda Carter plays a POTUS that's contrary to the real one. But even so, Lynda is also supposed to be an alien--which brings up all kinds of thorny issues. If we read this as a metaphor for real life issues--what does it mean to have an alien woman take the presidency? Even if the series never gets deep into those issues--just by establishing this paradigm it provokes a lot of thought. That on top of the profound message that Lynda Carter herself represents.

But it is kind of too bad that Lex Luthor couldn't be the POTUS. However, he'd have to be the old, red-haired but balding, corporate Lex--in order for the parallel to work. And I think, in the world of the series, their Lex is meant to be younger and less orange.

Mighty Member

After tonight when Kara blew up the escape van with the jewel thieves(she could have easily killed or crippled them all) I don't want to hear her say MM cannot kill the White Martians ever again. The WM's are like space Nazis only worse since everyone was expected to participate in their atrocities. The actual Nazis hid their crimes from the bulk of the population.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    SUPERGIRL is a much more complex show than I expected it to be. Sure, it's no BLACK MIRROR, but it's punching above its weight.

Take for instance the POTUS. I'm sure they were expecting a woman to win the presidency in real life--so it's just accident that Lynda Carter plays a POTUS that's contrary to the real one.
    Though I don't disagree with the larger point, I'm pretty sure they were referring to the president as "she" before it was certain that a woman would even be nominated (and it was far from a slam dunk at the time.) I don't think the gender of the Supergirl president was made out of any consideration to what was expected in real life. I would imagine it had much, much more to do with the protagonist of the series being a woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    The actual Nazis hid their crimes from the bulk of the population.
    They certainly did not. While they did not advertise mass murder for international reasons (rather than domestic ones) the population was very much expected to participate in the oppression of ethnic groups. Not doing so, or attempting to aid ethnic groups, was in itself a crime for which they could be punished brutally.

Comics and related shows have always played loose with no kill policies. BTAS has many examples of Batman attempting to murder people, by throwing them off a building, for example, only for them to luckily fall into a passing garbage truck which Batman could not possibly have anticipated. It's part of the genre.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    They certainly did not. While they did not advertise mass murder for international reasons (rather than domestic ones) the population was very much expected to participate in the oppression of ethnic groups.

Comics and related shows have always played loose with no kill policies. BTAS has many examples of Batman attempting to murder people, by throwing them off a building, for example, only for them to luckily fall into a passing garbage truck which Batman could not possibly have anticipated. It's part of the genre.
    Feel free to show historical proof of mass knowledge of the death camps.

BANNED

Feel free to show historical proof of mass knowledge of the death camps.
    Read my post.

Mighty Member

Read my post.

Concession accepted.

Ultimate Member

I loved Winn's, I'm not a red shirt...quote...

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    This show has been super silly feminist from the start. This shouldn't be far off form what you see on the show. In fact, it would say that this could've been used for the show somehow.

Now this! This aaaaaannnngggeerrrrrrrrrsssss me!

Lol cant tell if it really angers you or if your being sarcastic.

Retired

I half expected James T. Kirk to show up in this episode. Win is not a red shirt, but Mon-El would look good in one.

And Mon-El is the prince--I thought so from day one and it becomes more obvious all the time.

Mighty Member

Actually having just recently rewatched BTAS he doesn't. In most cases where he thinks they'll die, and he can help them, he tries to save them. Some times it's simply not possible and they do get lucky by not falling anywhere fatal. The episode with Scarecrow and his zeppelin come to mind. The only time I recalled seeing him deliberately knocked someone to what was assumed their death was Joker in the New Batman/Superman adventures in the episode Joker nearly killed Harley by pushing her out a window. Him trying to save his foes if possible was a strong aspect of TAS Batman.

It's like we have to have the Danvers' sister mention binge-watching some relatively recent popular show every episode .

Whoever said a person is 10x cuter when they're in love was absolutely right, at least until Alex let her high-strung emotions and paranoia get the best of her and try and break things off. Good thing Maggie is willing to forgive...

Winn calling out Jimmy felt deserved, given so often it feels like Jimmy only talks to or deals with Winn when it can help his vigilante work as Guardian.

Mon-El makes a good counterpoint to Kara with his more practical and pragmatic stance compared to her more idealistic and determined nature. They can really compliment each other quite well .

I was kinda hoping they'd try and differentiate the Earth-38 Dominators from the Earth-1 versions, but I guess that was too much to hope for. And we also get another tease to the Thanagarians.

That was a very quick and easy breakout.

I really hope that was an unmanned spaceship Kara blew up with her Heat Vision...they seem to have become a lot looser with her no-kill rule this season .

So...Roulette should now be a wanted woman on Earth, right? All those people can testify that she helped kidnap them. Is she just going to stick around on that slave-trading planet rather then go back and risk arrest?

And Maggie just casually figured out Kara is Supergirl because of course she does (though I had a feeling she'd figure it out from Alex's seeing how close Alex is to Supergirl), and apparently was immune to the effect of the glasses for some reason.

I think this is the first time we've seen Snapper's "mask" fall off, as we see that in-spite of his cynical and professional demeanor, not to mention how obnoxious he can be to Kara, he's been subtly pushing her to follow her heart and follow through with the stories that matter. And there's one thing that differentiates him from Perry...he doesn't mind being called "Chief."

It's going to be interesting to see what Mon-El's Superhero identity shapes up into. Will they adapt his comic costume? One of his Legion looks? Will he go by Valor as his codename? Will he continue his secret identity as a mild-mannered bartender who doesn't even know what he's serving?

Yeah, it's looking likely that Mon-El is actually the prince of Daxam who he claimed saved him. We have a Dominator bowing to him and Mon-El saying the prince was "not someone to be admired," which doesn't really fit with his original cover story or how he should regard the Prince. Not to mention, if he didn't support his planet's slavery practices, it would be an even bigger deal if he was a member of the royal family that propagated it.

After tonight when Kara blew up the escape van with the jewel thieves(she could have easily killed or crippled them all) I don't want to hear her say MM cannot kill the White Martians ever again. The WM's are like space Nazis only worse since everyone was expected to participate in their atrocities. The actual Nazis hid their crimes from the bulk of the population.
    Unless that spaceship Kara blew up with her heat vision was a drone I pretty sure there were several causalities aboard it too.

Retired

Thanagarian Snare Beast was less a reference to Hawkman and more a reference to "Superman Lives."

If being in a romantic relationship is what it takes to get more screen time on the show, then maybe they should drop the Guardian angle and give Jimmy a love interest. Unfortunately all the women on the show are tied up right now--and I doubt they're going to switch Jim's orientation. If only Lucy would come back or Lena had eyes for anyone besides Kara.

I feel sorry for Mehcad Brooks. He deserves better.

Ultimate Member

Right now Jimmy seems pretty useless as a character and could easily be sent back to Metropolis or something, the Guardian storyline is pretty much all that he has now...