Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I agree with many of your points. I've always thought that it might be better for DC to retcon it so that each sector has always had two active Lanterns at any one time. Why? Because the GLC is akin to the police. So, essentially, you have a senior and junior officer on patrol. You can just say that Abin Sur was so good at his job that he didn't need a partner. The Guardians deem that Hal, despite being great in his role, needs a partner. Thats where Guy comes in. Then, just proceed from there as before.

The trick is finding new roles for the other earth lanterns that keep them active in some capacity. But yeah, it should always be two at one time.
    An entire sector of space is way too large for just two people to patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    An entire sector of space is way too large for just two people to patrol.
    Is it? It's fiction the rules are whatever they decide they are. There could be a thousand lanterns in 1 sector and that might not be enough. The simple solution is to just get rid of the limit of lanterns per sector.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    I just don't get how you make a thread called too many Earth Lanterns, while strongly supporting Hal in every way, and then talking about how all fans shouldn't be belligerent with each other. Which Earth Lanterns do you think there are too many of?
    We've been over this again and again, but I will try one final time. The thread is called "Too Many Earth Lanterns..." because that was the topic, not my opinion, which I have repeated and clarified for you several times now to no avail. Are you simply not reading my posts or do you think I am trying to trick you and I secretly want only Hal Jordan to be GL (which, again, I do not)?

I also don't get why you're saying GL fans shouldn't be upset with each other when you predicated this exact line of conversation. What, a Simon Baz fan shouldn't be belligerent when you're saying he should get bent so we can get more scenes of Hal talking to B'dg?
    Please show me where I have said anything of the sort to Simon Baz fans, because I don't believe anything of the kind. In fact, I have enjoyed a few Simon Baz, particularly in Johns's New 52 Justice League of America title. He's currently my least favorite Earth GL, but that doesn't mean I think Baz fans shouldn't get to read interesting new stories. Hell, I'd like to read interesting new stories with him, too.

Tribalism doesn't accomplish anything, except when it's your brand of tribalism. This is exactly what I'm talking about. You don't even see what you're saying being the thing you're arguing against.
    I honestly don't understand how you are reading what I am posting and thinking I feel anything but sympathy and affection for all GL fans. If you feel I am trying to minimize your problems by disagreeing with some of your assertions, then I sincerely apologize to you and anyone who feels similarly. Disagreement is not meant as an attack upon you personally. My lack of anger over DC's inability to publish enough GL comics to satisfy every single fan sufficiently is not meant to be an insult to you or anyone else. It is simply a byproduct of having gone through this exact same conversation with many, many other fans over the years. I have been in your shoes, frustrated and angry and lashing out at others who I thought didn't understand how important this was to me.

Trust me, all this frustration and anger you are feeling is wasted energy. Remember, we're talking about comic books.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Remember, we're talking about comic books.
    Is that what you think?
    Clearly, some of us are discussing "Tribalism" and "Chronic Disenfranchisement"

I feel too many people roll their eyes, and give the sarcastic yawn, when they realize Green Lantern in the modern era
    will likely start with Hal Jordan.
    Just as many people will roll their eyes and yawn if Hal is swept under the rug again.
    I think you missed my point. >_>)
    What I'm saying is Hal is the jump off point for the franchise (and should be), unless they pull a Carol Danvers to basically steal his story and give it to someone else.

So in many ways the big issue is "who's going to support a green lantern movie" if its not your favorite GL.
    I wonder is the fan base really split or is the forum just polarized like that...
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 04-29-2019 at 03:51 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Is it?
    Yes it is.

It's fiction the rules are whatever they decide they are. There could be a thousand lanterns in 1 sector and that might not be enough. The simple solution is to just get rid of the limit of lanterns per sector.
    I don't why you're telling this to me and not the guy who said to leave two Lanterns to patrol a single sector of space.

Would it help ease the "too many Earth Lanterns" complaints if we had multiple of the same species in the Lanterns.

Yes it is.

I don't why you're telling this to me and not the guy who said to leave two Lanterns to patrol a single sector of space.
    You both are discussing the number of lanterns per sector. I just replied to the most recent one.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Would it help ease the "too many Earth Lanterns" complaints if we had multiple of the same species in the Lanterns.
    I don't think the species is the issue, it's the number of Humans in 2814. I don't think anyone would be against more human or *insert species* off in a different sector keeping the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    So in many ways the big issue is "who's going to support a green lantern movie" if its not your favorite GL.
    I wonder is the fan base really split or is the forum just polarized like that...
    I don't automatically see every comic book movie in the theaters, (it's actually more accurate to say that I usually don't) but I would definitely go if Hal were the star or co-star, and if he weren't I might if there was sufficient good buzz and from my own opinion of whether or not it seemed good. For me, it's not about "my favorite GL", it's about if I like that character whether they were a GL or any other character.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    The general audience who watches these movies do not know much about Green Lantern except maybe that sometimes he's white and sometimes he's black. Green Lantern fans aren't big enough to organise a meaningful boycott (and I doubt every GL fan will agree not to support it).

Plus the script is being written by Geoff Johns so it'll have Hal in some kind of role, and he's the most popular among GL fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    We've been over this again and again, but I will try one final time. The thread is called "Too Many Earth Lanterns..." because that was the topic, not my opinion, which I have repeated and clarified for you several times now to no avail. Are you simply not reading my posts or do you think I am trying to trick you and I secretly want only Hal Jordan to be GL (which, again, I do not)?

Please show me where I have said anything of the sort to Simon Baz fans, because I don't believe anything of the kind. In fact, I have enjoyed a few Simon Baz, particularly in Johns's New 52 Justice League of America title. He's currently my least favorite Earth GL, but that doesn't mean I think Baz fans shouldn't get to read interesting new stories. Hell, I'd like to read interesting new stories with him, too.

I honestly don't understand how you are reading what I am posting and thinking I feel anything but sympathy and affection for all GL fans. If you feel I am trying to minimize your problems by disagreeing with some of your assertions, then I sincerely apologize to you and anyone who feels similarly. Disagreement is not meant as an attack upon you personally. My lack of anger over DC's inability to publish enough GL comics to satisfy every single fan sufficiently is not meant to be an insult to you or anyone else. It is simply a byproduct of having gone through this exact same conversation with many, many other fans over the years. I have been in your shoes, frustrated and angry and lashing out at others who I thought didn't understand how important this was to me.

Trust me, all this frustration and anger you are feeling is wasted energy. Remember, we're talking about comic books.
    Oh where you said anything of the sort to Simon Baz Fans? https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4326121

To be crystal clear, I have no problem with multiple Earth GLs as long as they are good characters. Jessica Cruz is a great example of one whereas Simon Baz is...not.
    In response to me. Simon Baz is not a good character, you say, in a thread about which GL's are "worth" of having stories told about them, in a thread about how you think there's too many Earth Lanterns. You can disparage other lanterns while talking about getting rid of them, then turn around and say how tribalism solves nothing. You kicked off the tribalism.

The ol' "it's just comics!" post while you stoke the flames. Like I said, either you're so blind to things that you can't even comprehend how other people feel or you're just insincerely trying to disarm people disagreeing with you.
    Last edited by Dred; 04-29-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Oh where you said anything of the sort to Simon Baz Fans? https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4326121

In response to me. Simon Baz is not a good character, you say, in a thread about which GL's are "worth" of having stories told about them, in a thread about how you think there's too many Earth Lanterns. You can disparage other lanterns while talking about getting rid of them, then turn around and say how tribalism solves nothing. You kicked off the tribalism.

The ol' "it's just comics!" post while you stoke the flames. Like I said, either you're so blind to things that you can't even comprehend how other people feel or you're just insincerely trying to disarm people disagreeing with you.
    Re-read that again, please. Jessica Cruz is a great example of a good character, whereas Simon Baz is not a good example. That doesn't mean Baz is a bad character, just that he hasn't yet become someone who completely works. It's not a slam on the character or his fans, it's just a simple statement of the fact that Jessica Cruz has quickly found a fanbase and is being used more and more in outside media, while Simon hasn't because he hasn't clicked with enough fans.

If you want to doubt my sincerity and continue to assume I'm trying to insult others, that's your choice, but that doesn't make it true no matter how much you may want it to be. I'm sorry I can't get you to understand that and, frankly, I'm done trying. If thinking I am your enemy working against you makes you feel better, go right ahead.

Here, I'll make it easy for you

*pulls off mask to reveal Old Man Caruthers*

CURSES! You've foiled my evil plans! And I would have gotten away with it if wasn't for you pesky kids! You were right all along! I am indeed part of the Nerd Patriarchy and everything I've been saying throughout this thread and many others was just to lull you into a false sense of security until I could spring my trap while turning all Green Lantern fans against each other whilst pretending to be a nice guy! Then, only my precious, precious Hal Jordan shall remain! MWA-HA-HA-HA!

Phew, gotta tell ya. That felt really good getting all that off my chest! Thanks, man!

Astonishing Member

Ah, sarcasm and beating around the bush. Excellent.

Yes, saying a character is bad is a slam on the character. People who like stories he's been in and things he's done will refute that. That is triablism! That is you stating your preference of characters at the disparagement of another. It's not a statement of fact, it's a statement of opinion. Your opinion is not a fact, but you sure treat it like one. The number of fans a character has is not directly related to the quality of the character, regardless. Lots of well written, well composed characters from a critical, literary standpoint have never found a fanbase. Simon Baz fans don't count to you, Jess fans do. I wonder what you'd call that if it was a character you liked.

It's not that I even mind picking characters and disparaging others. I do it all the time. We all have our likes and dislikes. We are all invested in particular characters and would like to see more of them. Since there's only so many comic pages released a month, that is necessarily at the cost of another character getting more page time. It's that you do it and then try to get on other peoples' cases for doing the same thing that's making me respond to you, in particular. You try to police how other people feel, police how they react to being told certain opinions are facts, then throw this obfuscation and sarcasm at people who call you out on it. You pretend to sit on this behavioral high ground when you're just as culpable. You're not my enemy, you're just blind to your own behavior.

I wouldn't mind if you didn't put on airs about how much better you behave and how more people should be like that. If you were just talking purely about who you like and dislike that'd be par for the course for us comics nerds talking about comics. It's the rest of the stuff that's so dismissive and belittling and hypocritical.

Old Man Caruthers had a plan. You don't even realize you're doing it and I'm trying to make it more obvious. But there's minimal introspection so far.
    Last edited by Dred; 04-29-2019 at 08:40 AM.

BANNED

Although the earth sector is filled with multiple green Lanterns every one of them has a fanbase which is why it's sad that DC doesn't relaunch the entire GL line bat family style and see who sells and who doesn't I think it's a waste of money

Astonishing Member

Unfortunately, as Johns' run wound down, the sales of all the secondary and tertiary books did too. I'd be surprised if DC was going to make as many GL books as bat books again. Maybe if it picks up fire, but hell they won't even give their second best selling franchise (The Flash, currently) a secondary book these days. That GL had 2 for so long in spite of that is a testament to the faith they did have.