Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The best thing Marvel and DC can do for shops is let them refund or return the books they ordered.
    My understanding, is that most the shops that are closed think the best thing Marvel and DC can do for them is to STOP publishing until they open.

It isn't fair to those closed shops (and their costumers) if the open shops, or digital, continue to get new comics.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

And it's not fair to creators to stop releasing comics, because when they're catching up on the backlog, they won't be commissioning as much new material, so they lose work. This is a no win situation. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. No solution will please everybody.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The shops should not be thrown under the bus at all. When things get to normal start with physical copies again. But who knows how long this will last. Many are saying it will go on for months. So are the companies willing to lose out on all income by not releasing digital?

Everyone seems to think that people only buy physical. Its not really fair to the digital crowd to put that on hold for long term. They are ignoring a good part of their fan base. The people who buy physical can still get the digital and get the floppies when they come out. If they dont want to do that because they are a purist or they dont want to spend the money that is fine. But why punish everyone?
    Allegedly, digital only makes up 10% of the market. That's why the Big Two and other publishers don't throw them under the bus to go all digital. I wouldn't worry about the Big Two and their creators 'losing' money. They have corporate overlords to subsidize them. It's the smaller publishers that will be hurting.

Some people want to trash the collectors, but TBH, I think the collectors are the ones who are keeping this industry alive.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And it's not fair to creators to stop releasing comics, because when they're catching up on the backlog, they won't be commissioning as much new material, so they lose work. This is a no win situation. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. No solution will please everybody.
    Many creators working / publishing for smaller publishers ARE going to be hurting. They are basically being furloughed / laid off, like other people in the country.

I don't think there will be anyone lacking work when things start up again. Allegedly, the Big Two are telling their creators to continue. If your an indy creator, and can afford to do so, you should be working on multiple books at one time -- at least the writers. Most artists don't get paid until their done, anyway, so they have at least a month of status quo anyway. Plus, unlike writers, they can do commissions. It's not ideal, but none of this situation is ideal.

I am curious about how the Big Two are planning on releasing this material once things return to normal.

I think the wise move for Marvel, at this time, would be pushing Marvel Unlimited. They should be giving out free trials. That would help grow the digital market.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Allegedly, digital only makes up 10% of the market. That's why the Big Two and other publishers don't throw them under the bus to go all digital. I wouldn't worry about the Big Two and their creators 'losing' money. They have corporate overlords to subsidize them. It's the smaller publishers that will be hurting.

Some people want to trash the collectors, but TBH, I think the collectors are the ones who are keeping this industry alive

I am not saying trash the collectors. I understand they are a big part of the market. I know there is a limited market for digital. But I think right now that market would grow. Like Dig said above me. You are damned if you do damned if you dont.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

My understanding, is that most the shops that are closed think the best thing Marvel and DC can do for them is to STOP publishing until they open.

It isn't fair to those closed shops (and their costumers) if the open shops, or digital, continue to get new comics.
    This isn't digital problem to face so their business shouldn't be halted. This is so backwards it's ridiculous.

They should be giving out free trials. That would help grow the digital market.
    They do. 7 days free.

Some people want to trash the collectors, but TBH, I think the collectors are the ones who are keeping this industry alive.
    So the way I read it by saying they are not releasing digital they are saying hey we dont care about your fan base because it is such a small part of our market.

(Not trying to say that is what you are saying. I am saying that of the publishers not you.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Damn right.

I am not saying trash the collectors. I understand they are a big part of the market. I know there is a limited market for digital. But I think right now that market would grow. Like Dig said above me. You are damned if you do damned if you dont.
    I agree that it isn't an ideal situation. Nothing about this Coronavirus situation is. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel was closely watching their digital sales / Marvel Unlimited traffic right now to see IF there's a sizeable uptick.

This isn't digital problem to face so their business shouldn't be halted. This is so backwards it's ridiculous.

Digital is just another arm of the publishers. Publishers want to keep their bread and butter, the brick and mortar stores, viable. It isn't backwards to keep 90% of your income as viable as possible. Making 10% of your income for a month or two isn't worth closing, what, half the LCBS?

So the way I read it by saying they are not releasing digital they are saying hey we dont care about your fan base because it is such a small part of our market.

(Not trying to say that is what you are saying. I am saying that of the publishers not you.
    You are welcome to read it however you like, though I'm sure that's not the intent at all. If you feel that way, what kind of message do you think it would send to the 90% of their fanbase that doesn't do digital, or the stores that sell 90% of their product, if they just served digital folks now?

I agree that it isn't an ideal situation. Nothing about this Coronavirus situation is. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel was closely watching their digital sales / Marvel Unlimited traffic right now to see IF there's a sizeable uptick.

Digital is just another arm of the publishers. Publishers want to keep their bread and butter, the brick and mortar stores, viable. It isn't backwards to keep 90% of your income as viable as possible. Making 10% of your income for a month or two isn't worth closing, what, half the LCBS?

You are welcome to read it however you like, though I'm sure that's not the intent at all. If you feel that way, what kind of message do you think it would send to the 90% of their fanbase that doesn't do digital, or the stores that sell 90% of their product, if they just served digital folks now?
    I mean I was a little harsh. Non of this is ideal. I mean you dont release digital you make those fans made. You do you make the physical buyers mad its a shitty time.

Mighty Member

[QUOTEThe members of this message board aside, nobody in their right mind is going to potentially risk their life over a comic book. [/QUOTE]

I live in MA, so no comics for me regardless.

I just don't understand why *Diamond* is not shipping comics when possible.

That might save a few stores. Diamond needs comocs. They sell other products, but only have the lock on comics.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It's backwards because the distribution of digital has nothing to do with the retail side of the industry. They should continue as normal while physical distribution chains sort their **** out.

It's backwards because the distribution of digital has nothing to do with the retail side of the industry. They should continue as normal while physical distribution chains sort their **** out.
    You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry this situation has become an inconvenience to you. Who cares what's best for the comic market as a whole, as long as you get your books uninterrupted.