Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The One Ring versus...

Okay, up front, this is NOT a spite thread. I think the question of who might be able to resist the Ring, be they powerful or humble, is an interesting question. I'll start by answering the question myself by saying, "Hardly anybody".

But, going up the power scale in Marvel, DC, or mythology or other stories, is there a certain level of being that would be presumed to be inherently resistant or immune?

Are there any characters you can think of who have something inherent to their natures that would make them resistant?

If I recall correctly, was it stated that even Tom Bombadil, were he somehow able to reach the Fires of Mount Doom without leaving his forest and losing much of his power would still not be psychologically capable of throwing the Ring in? Or was it just that he wouldn't have all his power outside his forest and hence could not do it?

Granted that resisting the Ring is a different question than being able to destroy it.

I would surmise that, by the time you get to Odin level for sure a being could resist it. Maybe someone like the Silver Surfer not through power but by his very nature. I mean, Mephisto just about puked from being in his presence. I can see the Ring trying to crawl away from the Surfer even if he was Norrin Radd without the silvery covering and the Cosmic power. But that's debatable. Is he really anymore good than Bilbo Baggins?

Again, resisting it is one thing. Being willing to destroy it is another. Is there anybody who could bring themselves to toss it into Mount Doom? Keeping in mind that even Sauron (if, as Hiromi said, he even wanted to for some unfathomable reason) could not bring himself to do it.
    Power with Girl is better.

These guys are usually a safe bet for being utterly immune to the ring

Simply because Chaos acts in a similar manner to the ring and they have a few thousand years of a perfect record of never being corrupted despite usually being knee deep in the worst of it.

In the novels they actually removed all the various artifice and psychic defenses they have off one of them and injected a Tzeench Deamon directly into his mind to try and break him, after a little while of going toe to toe with it mentally he voluntarily entered a kind of insanity that made him impossible to outright possess rather than give in to it.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 01-21-2018 at 07:47 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

harbinger.jpg

the harbinger of menoth. this 16 year old girl is the literal voice of god in "warmachine". (well not god god. more like the god of humanity). she is constant contact with menoth with gives her supernatural vision and makes her float over the ground.

the harbinger could see the ring for what it is, since menoth can just tell her not to **** with it. not to mention, sul-menites have supreme devotion to their god and the church and state. which in the protectorate of menoth's case, is one and the same.

I wonder about someone like your friend and mine, Doctor Doom. Yes, yes, in many respects, he's a walking buffet of arrogance and self-deception for the ring to manipulate. On the other hand, he resists mental and emotional influences that no one else on the entire planet could resist and this is the planet of the Marvel Universe. Could it be a case of resistance in one setting that is beyond any resistance that existed in another? Granted one could as easily argue that Frodo did what nobody else on his planet could have done by getting as far as he did.

Or maybe Q? Or does that fall under, "Beings of deity equivalent are inherently immune"?

By the way, just to get this out of the way: No. I don't think Superman could resist it forever though maybe for quite a while but no way he could throw it into the Fires. Ignoring the magic issue, there are too many Elseworlds that make it clear he would become all sorts of horrible things with the right/ wrong upbringing. So he would be influenced to use it for all the right reasons but the end result would be a world in despair.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 01-21-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    harbinger.jpg

the harbinger of menoth. this 16 year old girl is the literal voice of god in "warmachine". (well not god god. more like the god of humanity). she is constant contact with menoth with gives her supernatural vision and makes her float over the ground.

the harbinger could see the ring for what it is, since menoth can just tell her not to **** with it. not to mention, sul-menites have supreme devotion to their god and the church and state. which in the protectorate of menoth's case, is one and the same.
    Is it a matter of being able to resist it though or just being warned not to get anywhere near it?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Is it a matter of being able to resist it though or just being warned not to get anywhere near it?
    for her, i'd say it would be both. menoth would either give her a vision of the ring and what it can do or just outright tell her not to **** with it.

not to mention, as a menite, she wouldn't want to **** anything that wasn't connected to big M. really, the ring would be able to offer her nothing she doesn't already have.

there are quite a few people in warmahordes who would able to resist the ring. i'll have to look through my books to find some.

the old witch of khador.

hmmmm. honestly, she'd laugh at the ring.

Okay, up front, this is NOT a spite thread. I think the question of who might be able to resist the Ring, be they powerful or humble, is an interesting question. I'll start by answering the question myself by saying, "Hardly anybody".

But, going up the power scale in Marvel, DC, or mythology or other stories, is there a certain level of being that would be presumed to be inherently resistant or immune?

Are there any characters you can think of who have something inherent to their natures that would make them resistant?

If I recall correctly, was it stated that even Tom Bombadil, were he somehow able to reach the Fires of Mount Doom without leaving his forest and losing much of his power would still not be psychologically capable of throwing the Ring in? Or was it just that he wouldn't have all his power outside his forest and hence could not do it?

Granted that resisting the Ring is a different question than being able to destroy it.

I would surmise that, by the time you get to Odin level for sure a being could resist it. Maybe someone like the Silver Surfer not through power but by his very nature. I mean, Mephisto just about puked from being in his presence. I can see the Ring trying to crawl away from the Surfer even if he was Norrin Radd without the silvery covering and the Cosmic power. But that's debatable. Is he really anymore good than Bilbo Baggins?

Again, resisting it is one thing. Being willing to destroy it is another. Is there anybody who could bring themselves to toss it into Mount Doom? Keeping in mind that even Sauron (if, as Hiromi said, he even wanted to for some unfathomable reason) could not bring himself to do it.

Does it work on machines?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

the butcher of khardov.

hmmmmm this one, i'm not sure about. on one hand, orsus is not a mental giant. he barely fit to lead troops into battle and i can see the ring messing with him due to his loyalty to the motherland. on the other, orsus is also a insane berzerker who goes apeshit when it's time to fight. it's hard to say if the ring can "control" him when he's in battle.

although, i can see him fighting off the ring if the ring tries to supplant itself over orsus' battle axe, lola. if it did, he'd chuck the ring into the nearly bog.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's The Doctor. I can honestly picture him resisting long enough to drop it off in a supernova or something.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post

Does it work on machines?
    Ah yes. The "Can it work on Data?" question.

And the Doctor can resist but can he bring himself to destroy it?

Ah yes. The "Can it work on Data?" question.

And the Doctor can resist but can he bring himself to destroy it?
    Followed by the "Would it assist Data with murdering Son Goku" question.

And, given what The Doctor did to Gallifrey, I feel confident in him destroying a ring.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

lord toruk, founder of the empire of cryx and the dragonfather.

the ring would not only not affect him but he'd just outright ignore it as if it wasn't there.

same with his lich lord, his undead zombie general. to them, if it aint toruk, **** it.

now some of the lesser liches and thralls? **** yeah it would. those guys are all ambitious as hell and would use the ring to subvert one of the iron liches. toruk wouldn't care if they did, as long as they gave him results in running the empires and finding his bastard kids.

Gotta admit, I want to see how this goes down.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Man, I would not want the Doctor anywhere near that thing. Dude's given into temptation in the past, and has come pretty close in others. He's a big rolling sea of negative emotions beneath the funny mask. And he's got access to so much immense power he doesn't really use, but would be so easy too...

I'm not saying he couldn't resist the thing, but I wouldn't trust him with it. I would give it to any of his companions before him.