Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Look I know writers are terrible at math, science, and understanding scale but less than 10000 GLs to Patrol an entire universe always struck me as stupid. There are more police officers in America than there are for an intergalactic police corps? So I’m all for more GLs, but I need them to give some love to the alien GLs. I don’t like how everything revolves around what the humans are doing. I get that it’s human writers writing for a human audience but it makes the universe feel so small. I’m interested in Far Sector because this GL is in a setting extremely different from what her other GLs are doing. So we’ll see how it goes.

Once upon a time maybe but Hal has not had much of a life on Earth in a long time. It was even a plot point in Johns run that he spent so much time away from Earth that he didn’t even have an apartment, car, or job.
    Which is a shame, because the first two years of his run were based primarily on Earth and were great.

As long as the writer has a good story for 'em, I don't care if there are 10 or 10 million Earth Lanterns.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I always found Jessica and Simon superfluous.
    While the latter stories were alright, neither character really resonated with me.
    Hal, Guy, John and Kyle are my Earth lanterns.
    And with that, only one should really be based on Earth.
    Hal should be THAT GL.
    Guy and Kyle retain their Honour Corps status and go wherever they please, and John remains leader of the GLC.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I do find it funny that this was caused by the Young Animal book when Young Animal is pretty much out of continuity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    I like the big 4 best baz and Jessica are fine but now possibly having a 7th lantern is a little bit to much if it was up to me ill put them like this:
    Hal/John on JLA
    Kyle on Titans
    Guy baz and Jessica on a corps book
    I don't think that just beeing on JL is really a good spot for a character the main JL-Book is very event driven and characters don't really get much development there.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno. I think it's different for the Green Lanterns since they're not really a "team" but a name that comprises a bunch of generally independent operatives.

There's no real Trinity equivalent like there is with the Justice League or with your X-Men example.
    I think Hal, John & Jessica qualify as the trinity of the GLCorps at the moment. That trinity changes regularly, but there are generally three or four main GLs at any given time. I think Green Lantern Corps was absolutely a team book.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I do find it funny that this was caused by the Young Animal book when Young Animal is pretty much out of continuity.
    Young Animal is its own little neighborhood of the DCU, but it is indeed happening in continuity. Same deal for Bendis’s Wonder Comics and Geoff Johns’s imprint

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Young Animal is its own little neighborhood of the DCU, but it is indeed happening in continuity. Same deal for Bendis’s Wonder Comics and Geoff Johns’s imprint
    Is it though ? Milk Wars has afaik not been mentioned. Mother Panic never turns up to any gotham gatherings etc ?

Extraordinary Member

Currently, Alan is getting the worst of it. He's been MIA for years. And now he's dead
    Is the alan scott in the current main dc universe in doomsday clock the same as the current earth 2's or a different one?
    They could be different.
    Alan scott
    Green Lantern (DC)(Post Flashpoint)(Earth-2)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=62177

Alan scott
    Green Lantern (DC)(Post Flashpoint)(07- Scott)
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character.php?ID=97474
    Last edited by mace11; 04-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The problem you get with a regiment of Lanterns on one planet is that you have to come up with reasons that they haven't cured the world's various ills with their combined power. True, that's an issue for any large shared-verse, but but having it all in one franchise is a bit much.
    it's because they are constantly opposed in that effort

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Rann/Thanagar War was the only Infinite Crisis mini that didn't get an ongoing title to support it
    Because there were FOUR titles that were using the characters in RTW post-Infinite Crisis. 52 for Adam Strange, Mystery in Space for Captain Comet, Hawkman then renamed Hawkgirl for Hawkman/Hawkgirl and a new Omega Men mini for Tigorr. Creating a continuation for a book where the characters were all farmed out to other books was impossible. For Days of Vengeance/Villains United/OMAC Project, they were using mostly characters that no one had touched for awhile (Ragman/Nightshade/Nightmaster/Catman/Detective Chimp) at DC or original characters of the creators (Sasha Bordeaux, Scandal, Ragdoll). So it's pretty clear that DC had a much more active interest in promoting these cosmic characters in comparison to some of the other characters I listed.

Adam Strange - nothing.
    Kyle Raynor - a new costume and new name, making him completely unrecognizable to R/TW readers, for a 12-issue mini-series that went nowhere.
    Hawkman - lost his title to Hawkgirl, where Chaykin came along and made the book as far from cosmic as possible.
    Except most of what you are stating is WRONG. Adam Strange was being used for 52, which was followed up later in Adventure Comics. and then Rann Thanagar Holy War. Kyle had his own 12 issue mini by Marz that lead up to SCW. And Hawkman would be used both for the Hawkgirl book and the new Justice Society of America by Johns.

So, by the time Rann/Thanagar Holy War started most readers had fell off the wagon, including myself.
    Because there were no readers to begin with. Except for Crisis related and 52 stuff, the cosmic characters just sold badly. For Adam Strange by Diggle and Pasquel Ferry despite being billed as a lead up book to Infinite Crisis (and Rann Thanagar War) sold horribly. The same for stuff like Omega Men or Mystery in Space or Countdown to Adventure. The numbers for these titles were never any good in contrast to GL, which was a sales hit even during Countdown when DC was screwing up everything and did its best to underpromote SCW because of problems with Johns. The reason that Blackest Night became such a major thing was because of how strongly Green Lantern did saleswise with SCW (while everything else floundered).

Well... Starlin had potential, but DC nipped that in the bud because. It looks like he wasn't given star status at DC.
    Meanwhile, Giffen is one of DC's creators that's most taken for granted.
    Again no. Starlin was continuously given projects at DC despite mediocre results: Death of the New Gods, Rann Thanagar Holy War, Mystery in Space and that Hawkman special. The same for Giffen who was given work continuously into the New 52. I can't say the same for guys like Simonson,Spencer, Gage, Trautmann or Rogers who turned in much more superior work and never received the same level of attention from Didio era DC.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 04-12-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Once upon a time maybe but Hal has not had much of a life on Earth in a long time. It was even a plot point in Johns run that he spent so much time away from Earth that he didn’t even have an apartment, car, or job.
    Yeah, but that was treated as a bad thing at that point in the Johns run.
    I think Hal, John & Jessica qualify as the trinity of the GLCorps at the moment. That trinity changes regularly, but there are generally three or four main GLs at any given time. I think Green Lantern Corps was absolutely a team book.
    I agree there's usually three or four main GL's at any given time and the GLC book is usually a team book when it's out because you've got Earth GL's and alien GL's, but I think we'll have to wait a few more years to see if Hal, John, and Jessica end up being a true main Trinity moving forward beyond the fact that they're the three most prominent GL's in the comics right now.

Look I know writers are terrible at math, science, and understanding scale but less than 10000 GLs to Patrol an entire universe always struck me as stupid. There are more police officers in America than there are for an intergalactic police corps?
    This is partly why I haven't been a big fan of DC emphasizing the "cop" part of "space cop" the last ten years or so. Since there are so few in the universe, I prefer to have them be "intergalactic saviors." - they save entire planets at once and don't deal with quibbles like jurisdiction or trade negotiations... They save people and if that bothers you, you'll get squashed. They should be too focused on matters of galactic importance to go after criminals. And the only time more than two or three get together, it means the universe is in trouble. But yes, I know that's not how they're generally handled and probably never will be.

BANNED

Some people say as long as the stories are good, they're fine, but the stories have not been good. Though, I understand that's a very subjective thing to say. I didn't think Green Lanterns was good at all (Robson Rocha turned in much better art on Supergirl, in my opinion, and the writing, no matter who was writing it, was always bad), and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was also bad, due in part to having too many characters crammed in one book and not really doing all that much with any of them. I think the most notable things to happen to any of the characters were, weirdly Soranik Natu and Tomar-Tu's heel turns. Maybe a good writer could have made that situation work. Robert Venditti isn't a good writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Because there were FOUR titles that were using the characters in RTW post-Infinite Crisis. 52 for Adam Strange, Mystery in Space for Captain Comet, Hawkman then renamed Hawkgirl for Hawkman/Hawkgirl and a new Omega Men mini for Tigorr. Creating a continuation for a book where the characters were all farmed out to other books was impossible. For Days of Vengeance/Villains United/OMAC Project, they were using mostly characters that no one had touched for awhile (Ragman/Nightshade/Nightmaster/Catman/Detective Chimp) at DC or original characters of the creators (Sasha Bordeaux, Scandal, Ragdoll). So it's pretty clear that DC had a much more active interest in promoting these cosmic characters in comparison to some of the other characters I listed.

Except most of what you are stating is WRONG. Adam Strange was being used for 52, which was followed up later in Adventure Comics. and then Rann Thanagar Holy War. Kyle had his own 12 issue mini by Marz that lead up to SCW. And Hawkman would be used both for the Hawkgirl book and the new Justice Society of America by Johns.

Because there were no readers to begin with. Except for Crisis related and 52 stuff, the cosmic characters just sold badly. For Adam Strange by Diggle and Pasquel Ferry despite being billed as a lead up book to Infinite Crisis (and Rann Thanagar War) sold horribly. The same for stuff like Omega Men or Mystery in Space or Countdown to Adventure. The numbers for these titles were never any good in contrast to GL, which was a sales hit even during Countdown when DC was screwing up everything and did its best to underpromote SCW because of problems with Johns. The reason that Blackest Night became such a major thing was because of how strongly Green Lantern did saleswise with SCW (while everything else floundered).
    I'll agree with you except that DC didn't immediately give a strong enough thread for readers of Rann/Thanagar War to stay hooked. It was a year before Mystery in Space and Omega Men came out.
    And by then, Marvel was well into Annihilation.

And I, personally, had no idea Planet Heist led into Rann/Thanagar War until the first issue of RTW mentioned it. Then I had to wait for the trade because the shop I went to no longer had all the issues.

I had a longer reply, but I had hernia surgery yesterday and I'm on pain killers. I'm afraid of rambling.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.