Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Question Does anyone know about superhero blood transfusions?

Hey people. I am actually not a comic reader, but I had a curious thought as I've been watching the Flash (CW): what happens if super hero blood gets put in a normal person. I figured if an answer existed there must be an avid comic book reader or 2 that would know.
    I assume that the meta-humans' DNA itself has been changed somehow, so I'm thinking that maybe the body of a normal human would reject the transfusion, but like the flash has kids with Iris that are also speedsters. Are they able to have kids because Iris was a speedster for a short while? or is the speed force connection just some cosmic god aura that will be shot out with the semen into the little eggo?
    I'm surprised that none of the DC movies have brought up the concept (that I know of), because like what if you could spread the most desirable super powers via blood transfusions. So many villain arcs could be made about this.
    Also any super person with a healing factor could rapidly reproduce their blood cells to compensate for blood loss.
    Last edited by horristtm; 02-09-2020 at 10:34 PM.

BANNED

I'm not aware of any off the top of my head in DC Comics, but this subject was a pretty important plot point in the 80s Japanese anime OVA Blue Sonnet.

Essentially, a character got a blood transfusion from someone with powers and it in turn gave him powers.

It's also She-Hulk's origin. She gets a blood transfusion from Bruce Banner, it turns her into a Hulk.

Yeah, can't think of anything similar from DC.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's also She-Hulk's origin. She gets a blood transfusion from Bruce Banner, it turns her into a Hulk.

Yeah, can't think of anything similar from DC.
    Really? Because in Young Justice animated series, M'gann gave a transfusion of her blood to then regular human boy, Garfield Logan. Which ended up turning him into Beast Boy.

It happened to Patriot over at Marvel, he got one from Cap and gained powers iirc
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

Read Erik Larsen´s Savage Dragon. It happened here and there with fatal consequences

Over at Marvel, there are 2 Speedsters who gained their powers through Transfusions:

Whizzer, from mongoose blood, after being bitten by a cobra

Spitfire, from the original Human Torch, after being bitten and drained by a Vampire

(21st Century retcons would state that both were latent mutants and that the blood transfusions catalyzed their powers from dormant to active.)

Another Marvel character, Morbius, the Living Vampire, treated himself with a blood transfusion, to cure his rare blood disorder, becoming a Pseudo-Vampire.

Yeah, in Young Justice it's Beast Boy's origin story. I also think that the Kirk Langstrom Batman from "Justice League Gods and Monsters" has almost the exact same origin as Morbius does over at Marvel.

Also, one time Peter Parker gave Aunt May a blood transfusion and it gave her radiation poisoning or something I think. It's weird to think about that old line about having "radioactive blood" being literal. Wouldn't everyone who ever comes near him be at risk? But I guess it really only gets you if there's a transfusion.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Really? Because in Young Justice animated series, M'gann gave a transfusion of her blood to then regular human boy, Garfield Logan. Which ended up turning him into Beast Boy.
    Never watched it. In the comics, the transformation was caused by blood from a green monkey, not a Martian. Hence, not from another hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Over at Marvel, there are 2 Speedsters who gained their powers through Transfusions:

Whizzer, from mongoose blood, after being bitten by a cobra

Spitfire, from the original Human Torch, after being bitten and drained by a Vampire

(21st Century retcons would state that both were latent mutants and that the blood transfusions catalyzed their powers from dormant to active.)
    The Spitfire retcon was necessary, since Torch is a synthezoid... i.e. he shouldn't have viable blood to transfuse, it's all synthetic. So there's no way her powers could've come from him.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-10-2020 at 02:54 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

this is batmans dirty little secret. just like how the super-rich get blood transfusions to stay young, batman gets blood transfusions from metahumans so he stand a chance against multiversal threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Never watched it. In the comics, the transformation was caused by blood from a green monkey, not a Martian. Hence, not from another hero.

The Spitfire retcon was necessary, since Torch is a synthezoid... i.e. he shouldn't have viable blood to transfuse, it's all synthetic. So there's no way her powers could've come from him.
    Well, the synthetic blood could have triggered someting within the vampire blood, just as human blood could. it is all a possibility. And when they first created Spitfire in 1976, they knew the Torch was an android. So, not really sure why retcon was done.

Doesn't DC Bane get enhanced abilities from an infusion of some sort? Not sure if it is blood or just steroids though.

Quote Originally Posted by horristtm View Post
    Hey people. I am actually not a comic reader, but I had a curious thought as I've been watching the Flash (CW): what happens if super hero blood gets put in a normal person. I figured if an answer existed there must be an avid comic book reader or 2 that would know.
    I assume that the meta-humans' DNA itself has been changed somehow, so I'm thinking that maybe the body of a normal human would reject the transfusion, but like the flash has kids with Iris that are also speedsters. Are they able to have kids because Iris was a speedster for a short while? or is the speed force connection just some cosmic god aura that will be shot out with the semen into the little eggo?
    I'm surprised that none of the DC movies have brought up the concept (that I know of), because like what if you could spread the most desirable super powers via blood transfusions. So many villain arcs could be made about this.
    Also any super person with a healing factor could rapidly reproduce their blood cells to compensate for blood loss.
    A lot of heroes have kids with similar powers to them.

Franklin Richards comes to mind when it comes to kids with super-parents who have powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Doesn't DC Bane get enhanced abilities from an infusion of some sort? Not sure if it is blood or just steroids though.
    It's an enhancment drug.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 02-10-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Mighty Member

Lois Lane dreamed she got Superman's powers from receiving his blood; then she gave blood to Clark Kent, giving him superpowers!

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Back before Flashpoint, Deathstroke transfusing his blood to his wife for saving her. And later she gets superpowers similar to deathstroke.
    In Rebirth(After flashpoint retcon), This scene still cements on deathstroke new history/continuum
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)