Extraordinary Member

Default Remembering Carpenters - 50 Years After Their Hot 100 Debut

There's not a music section on here but Karen and Richard Carpenter certainly made enough TV appearances so I'll post this here. Carpenters: The Singles 1969-1973 was one of the first albums I ever owned as a kid. I loved Karen's voice and their style of music. Karen had a one-of-a-kind voice that has never been matched IMO. This month also marks the 37th anniversary of her death in 1983 at the age of just 32 years old.

I remember laying on my bed listening to the radio and doing homework when the DJ announced that Karen had died. Even as a teenaged boy, I couldn't hold back the tears. When my Mother saw me later on, she could tell that I had been crying and I told her about what I had heard. She understood because she knew I had worn that album out playing it over and over as a kid. She knew how much I loved Karen. I still can't listen to "We've Only Just Begun" or "Superstar" without tearing up a little.

Billboard Magazine published this nice article today commemorating the 50th anniversary of the brother-sister duo hitting the Hot 100 chart for the first time.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...-hot-100-debut

Feel free to share your memories of Carpenters.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

They weren't really my kind of music as an adult, but definitely part of the soundtrack of my childhood. I support them being in the rock & roll hall of fame, but they probably never will be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    They weren't really my kind of music as an adult, but definitely part of the soundtrack of my childhood. I support them being in the rock & roll hall of fame, but they probably never will be.
    Yeah, it's a shame about the Hall of Fame. They really did open up that sound to radio and made it popular. I loved soft rock or soft pop - whatever you want to call it. I loved Bread, Olivia Newton John, The Partridge Family, Anne Murray, Kenny Rogers, Crystal Gayle, Air Supply - all of that kind of music.