Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Your Top Science-Fiction Shows of All Time

What are your Top 5 or 7 Sci-Fi shows of all time?

Remember, this is a personal list. Everybody's list could be different and that's ok. You can include animation if you think it's good Sci-Fi.

I actually haven't seen all Sci-Fi shows out there (especially in the last decade), so it will be interesting to see what the consensus is here.

I definitely love:

-Star Trek. TOS, TNG, DS9, VOYAGER. Never got into Enterprise. Still haven't seen Discovery, but plan to. Trek is still my #1 Sci-Fi series. Adore the concept.

-Doctor Who. Not a fan of all eras, but I really loved the Eccleston/Tennant years and some of Tom Baker. Haven't seen much of Classic Who (recommend stories if you want). Not a fan of Capaldi or the female Doctor.

-Stargate SG1. Really enjoyed this show. Some cool mythology based on ancient Egypt myth and history. Never finished Stargate Stlantis, was it really good as a whole? I liked it at first (it was intriguing) but got a bit bored in the second or third years.

-Babylon 5. I loved it, but haven't seen it in many years. Does it hold up? How many movies were there, and worth watching?

-The Outer Limits. Just loved most of the episodes that aired in the late 90s-00s. I miss it. Is Black Mirror like it? Heard it was good.

-The Twilight Zone. It's a classic. Many episodes still feel relevant today, imo.

-The Orville. Almost forgot this. Seasons 1 and 2 were so good. Fun, visually stunning, and thought-provoking stories. Some of the best Sci-Fi on par with Trek. So far at least. I love this show.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 09-04-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

In alphabetical order:

Agents of SHIELD
    Firefly
    Lost
    Star Trek (TOS)
    The Twilight Zone (original)
    The Venture Bros.
    The X-Files

Honorable mentions: Agent Carter, Babylon 5, Doctor Who, Futurama, Mystery Science Theater 3000, The Orville, Star Trek: TNG, Westworld

Retired

Not naming more recent shows--and I only came to Doctor Who in the last ten years--but the top all time series for me were Star Trek, Lost in Space, the Time Tunnel, the Invaders, Planet of the Apes, the Fantastic Journey, Battlestar Galactica and Quantum Leap.

Babylon 5
    Star Trek TOS
    Land of the Lost
    Stranger Things
    War of the Worlds
    V (Original one, the new one fell short)
    Lost in Space
    The Incredible Hulk
    Star Wars the Clone Wars
    Superfriends
    Lexx
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not naming more recent shows--and I only came to Doctor Who in the last ten years--but the top all time series for me were Star Trek, Lost in Space, the Time Tunnel, the Invaders, Planet of the Apes, the Fantastic Journey, Battlestar Galactica and Quantum Leap.
    Yup a lot of these would be on my list too

I'd add
    Space:1999
    The Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman
    The Dead Zone TV series
    The Greatest American Hero
    Jason of Star Command/Space Academy
    Land of the Giants
    The Man in the High Castle
    The Night Gallery
    The Prisoner
    Red Dwarf

you don't love any Sci-Fi show from the 90s and after?

I forgot about The X-Files. Some really great standalone episodes. I didn't like how it ended in the last season. Not a big fan of the mythology episodes. Big fan of the main 2 characters and their friendship and ideology clashes.

Recently read about the Red Dwarf show and it sounded quite intriguing.

Was a big fan of The Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman shows as a child but I haven't seen them in a long time, so can't remember much.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    you don't love any Sci-Fi show from the 90s and after?
    Well I did include QUANTUM LEAP. But to say a show is my favourite of all time seems like a lot of weight to put on the shows that I've seen more recently. Who knows if I'm just infatuated now and, in twenty years, I'll feel completely different. The shows I listed are those that I remember loving at the time and the love has stayed with me all these years--even if I know they were kind of stupid shows and maybe can't hold up as great science fiction, I still hold them in my heart.

I like DOCTOR WHO now, but maybe I won't always feel that way. Also, I find it hard to think of DW as science fiction--it's more like a great British soap opera anthology series. Likewise with OUTER LIMITS and TWILIGHT ZONE--which I saw as a little boy--those weren't science fiction, those were documentaries. Even QUANTUM LEAP is less of a science fiction and more of a Scott Bakula actor's workshop.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Oh boy, I need to think about this one a little bit but the ones that come to mind immediately are:

Fringe
    MST3K
    Twilight Zone
    WestWorld
    X-Files
    Futurama
    Cowboy Bebop
    Last edited by Sandmans_Raven; 09-05-2019 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added shows
    Make Good Art

DS9 and Earth: Final Conflict instantly come to mind. I'd love to see both rebooted now that I'm thinking about it.

Well I did include QUANTUM LEAP. But to say a show is my favourite of all time seems like a lot of weight to put on the shows that I've seen more recently. Who knows if I'm just infatuated now and, in twenty years, I'll feel completely different. The shows I listed are those that I remember loving at the time and the love has stayed with me all these years--even if I know they were kind of stupid shows and maybe can't hold up as great science fiction, I still hold them in my heart.

I like DOCTOR WHO now, but maybe I won't always feel that way. Also, I find it hard to think of DW as science fiction--it's more like a great British soap opera anthology series. Likewise with OUTER LIMITS and TWILIGHT ZONE--which I saw as a little boy--those weren't science fiction, those were documentaries. Even QUANTUM LEAP is less of a science fiction and more of a Scott Bakula actor's workshop.
    OK, thank you for the explanation. Personally, I see Doctor Who more Science-Fantasy than real Sci-Fi, but sometimes really feel very Sci-Fi-ish so I like to include it in lists like this.

The Outer Limits show from the late 90s was very Sci-Fi to me. The 60s Twilight Zone too. Not all the episodes but many.

MST3K (glad I'm not the only one to mention it)
    DBZ
    Star Wars
    DCAU of the 90s-early 2000s
    Teen Titans animated series

Admittedly, after the early-mid 2000s, I kind of switched gears into more fantasy/supernatural genres.

from animation

Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman
    Flash Gordon (animated series)-Flash is one of the icons of sci-fi but is largely overlooked in the modern era. The cartoon was an excellent adaptation of the property filtered through a younger lens
    Star Wars: Rebels
    Jonny Quest (adventure with some sci-fi elements that work very well)

live action

Star Trek: TOS
    X-Files
    The Expanse
    Doctor Who (particularly the Pertwee and Tom Baker years)

honorable mentions to Babylon 5, the original Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek: TNG.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

BANNED

Black Mirror
    Legion
    The Leftovers
    The OA
    Westworld

Star Trek
    Twilight Zone
    The Outer Limits
    Farscape
    Sliders
    Lost In Space
    Lexx

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    from animation

Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman
    Flash Gordon (animated series)-Flash is one of the icons of sci-fi but is largely overlooked in the modern era. The cartoon was an excellent adaptation of the property filtered through a younger lens
    Star Wars: Rebels
    Jonny Quest (adventure with some sci-fi elements that work very well)

-M
    Oh dang, I didn't even think about animation and Futurama is one of my favorite shows of all time
    Make Good Art