Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary X-Man redrunner97's Avatar

Exclamation Miguel O'Hara: Spider-Man 2099 Appreciation 2018

MIGUEL O'HARA APPRECIATION

SECRET IDENTITY:

Miguel O'Hara - Alias: Spider-Man!

ORIGIN:
    In the year 2099, Miguel O'Hara is a brilliant geneticist frustrated with a corrupt corporation called Alchemax and their increasing control over his city. After reluctantly testing Alchemax's genetic imprinting technology on an innocent subject who was killed in the process, Miguel was deemed a liability and drugged by his employer, Tyler Stone, in an effort to keep him with the company against his will. Seeking to escape the evil corporation's influence once and for all, Miguel attempted to utilize Alchemax's own tech to cure the effects of the drug. Unknown to Miguel, the procedure was sabotaged by a competing coworker in an attempt to kill him. Although he managed to survive the process, Miguel's DNA was permanently spliced with that of a spider... forever transforming him into the Spider-Man of 2099!

POWERS AND ABILITIES:
    Miguel O'Hara possesses the proportionate strength, speed, stamina, agility, and reflexes of a spider. His enhanced DNA allows him to regenerate cells at an accelerated rate, sight far beyond the standard visual accuracy of an everyday human, move at an expedited speed that often leaves his pursuers stunned and seeing double, and he even ages at a rate slower than that of a typical human. Miguel has a set of spinnerets on his forearms, both of which excrete organic super-silk webbing that can be utilized in many ways; from swinging across buildings, to restraining or securing people and items. On the tips of his fingers and toes, Miguel utilizes retractable talons that assist him in climbing virtually any surface in the manner of a spider, as well as reinforcing his already super-human strength. Miguel also sports razor-sharp fangs which have the ability to secrete an immobilizing venom that can paralyze his foes!

CURRENT ADVENTURES:
    You can currently see the shockin' spectacular adventures of Miguel O'Hara unfold in the pages of Peter David's Spider-Man 2099 - Vol. 3, part of Marvel's All-New, All-Different lineup!

First Appearance: The Amazing Spider-Man - Vol. 1 #365 (1992) [5-page preview]; Spider-Man 2099 - Vol. 1 #1 (1992).
    Created by Peter David and Rick Leonardi (based upon the original Spider-Man character by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko).
    Last edited by redrunner97; 09-28-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:
    BLACK BOLT | CYCLOPS | SPIDER-MAN 2099 | WICCAN | MS. MARVEL

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:
    BATMAN | MIDNIGHTER | SWAMP THING | INFINITY MAN | NIGHTWING

SPIDER-MAN 2099 APPRECIATION THREAD | MAN-THING APPRECIATION THREAD

A twist of fate got me into Miguel. I was gonna order some random spidey and was looking for a more contained run and having read PAD's X-factor, I decided to go for his more classic stuff.

And then I got 2 of the 3 Classic 2099 trades. I eagerly hope that with PAD writing him now, we can get the last of classic.

Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Shock, yes! Smack to the future! Also, Peter David isn't the only one revisiting the world of 2099; while Miguel's occupied in the present, Gerry Duggan's Deadpool series heads off to 2099 every sixth issue, focusing on the adventures of Deadpool 2099. The Deadpool of 2099 is actually known as Warda, the daughter of Wade Wilson's wife, the succubus queen Shiklah (and possibly Wade as well), and she has a major bone to pick with Wade, whom she has chained up in her base/home forced to watch C-SPAN endlessly while interrogating him for her mother's whereabouts. Oh, and there's a Zenpool 2099 (you might remember Zenpool from when Deadpool was Inverted in AXIS) who'll be confronting her in Deadpool #12, continuing the saga of Deadpool 2099 from her first appearance in Deadpool #6. I'm seriously wondering what would happen if Deadpool 2099 met Miguel O'Hara, and who Zenpool 2099 will turn out to be. Here are some helpful pics, to get an idea of her.

5009459-deadpool-2099.jpg

tumblr_deadpool2099unmasked.jpg
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spider-Man 2099 has been one of my favorite superheroes since I started reading comics!
    So I couldn't be more excited to finally have a place to rave incessantly about him!

He's such a fascinating character, and I always find his personal stories compelling. ANAD Spider-Man 2099 has been one of the best books of the relaunch so far, IMO. PAD is a fantastic writer and has really been THE definite voice of Miguel O'Hara over the years. Hopefully Spidey 2099 gets much more of his well-earned time in the Marvel spotlight!
    Last edited by redrunner97; 02-20-2016 at 10:38 PM.
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Miguel is awesome, I'm surprised how many marvel editors seem to forget that he's in 616/8 and has been there for the past 2 years.
    Also he was the best character in Shattered Dimensions.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

I really hope Sony rethinks their bizarre Sinister Six idea and (if they're so desperate for an ensemble film) instead consider something like Web Warriors to follow-up their established Spider-Man reboot in the MCU.

We could get a team led by Miguel, but also featuring fan-favorite Spider-Verse characters like Miles Morales, Spider-Ham, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman (all of them), Spider Noir, Spider UK, Supaidaman, etc. Basically any totems they'd want to include, even Parker if they wanted. I hope this idea is already in the hands of Sony, because their plans for the Spider-Man reboot trilogy seem quite constrained, this could broaden their universe and help them get a lot of big ideas out of the way to help the solo films focus on being true Spider-Man movies!

What do you guys think? Would you like to see Spidey 2099 come to the Disney-Sony MCU in the future?
    If so, would you prefer a solo-outing (like a live-action Batman Beyond) or a team-up Spider-Verse based sub-franchise of Sony's reboot?
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Quote Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
    I really hope Sony rethinks their bizarre Sinister Six idea and (if they're so desperate for an ensemble film) instead consider something like Web Warriors to follow-up their established Spider-Man reboot in the MCU.

We could get a team led by Miguel, but also featuring fan-favorite Spider-Verse characters like Miles Morales, Spider-Ham, Silk, Spider-Gwen, Spider-Woman (all of them), Spider Noir, Spider UK, Supaidaman, etc. Basically any totems they'd want to include, even Parker if they wanted. I hope this idea is already in the hands of Sony, because their plans for the Spider-Man reboot trilogy seem quite constrained, this could broaden their universe and help them get a lot of big ideas out of the way to help the solo films focus on being true Spider-Man movies!

What do you guys think? Would you like to see Spidey 2099 come to the Disney-Sony MCU in the future?
    If so, would you prefer a solo-outing (like a live-action Batman Beyond) or a team-up Spider-Verse based sub-franchise of Sony's reboot?
    Definitely solo outing.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

Incredible Member

I love the original Spider-Man 2099 series. Still holds up perfectly to this day. Definitely hoping we can see some hardcovers of either the original or the new series.

I have the original Spider-Man 2099 #1. It kind of lost it around the 30's or so but I think the series basically validated the 2099 line by itself. I still remember the crack Miguel makes about wondering if he's going to start eating flies and spinning webs out of his butt. This was also all before I truly knew the works of Peter David as a writer (I only made the connection after getting into X-Factor Vol 3).
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

I too own Spider-Man 2099 #1 (which I consider his first appearance) --in addition to #2-14 of the first series (all in great condition from a large lot that I stumbled across for $15 on ebay). I also have The Amazing Spider-Man #365, which contained a 5-page preview for the 2099 book.

Miguel O'Hara is such a fascinating character and his current plight has me hooked. Can't wait for the new issue tomorrow!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES:

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    A twist of fate got me into Miguel. I was gonna order some random spidey and was looking for a more contained run and having read PAD's X-factor, I decided to go for his more classic stuff.

And then I got 2 of the 3 Classic 2099 trades. I eagerly hope that with PAD writing him now, we can get the last of classic.

Re bolded part: So...Jeff Hardy got you into Miguel O'Hara? Cool.

LOL.

All kidding aside I got into Miguel when I got a trade (the first book of the first volume) of Spider-Man 2099 for Christmas one year during the original run. I've liked him ever since.

Miguel is tha Man, I always thought he was refreshing because he's way more confident and stable than Peter.

He also has a darker edge - not so much as Kaine, who is tortured and dark - but more than enough to be sure
    he was never a Boyscout.

In high school Miguel would have grabbed Flash by the throat first time Flash tried to jump him in the hallways.
    That whole thing would have gone down wayyy differently ..

This run of 2099 is one of my top Spider titles, the writing and art are so consistantly kickass I hope this volume
    goes on for a long time.

New issue today. Miggy's got alot of crp to deal with.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Miguel is tha Man, I always thought he was refreshing because he's way more confident and stable than Peter.

He also has a darker edge - not so much as Kaine, who is tortured and dark - but more than enough to be sure
    he was never a Boyscout.

In high school Miguel would have grabbed Flash by the throat first time Flash tried to jump him in the hallways.
    That whole thing would have gone down wayyy differently ..

This run of 2099 is one of my top Spider titles, the writing and art are so consistantly kickass I hope this volume
    goes on for a long time.
    If Miguel had his powers in high school like Peter did, sure. I should mention, though, that Miguel had his own Flash in his high school years, Kron Stone, the son of Miguel's future boss Tyler Stone, a vicious bully whose acts went straight into criminal assault, attempted murder, and even attempted rape, far worse than anything Flash Thompson ever did. The sole reason he never saw a jail cell (the worst that happened was that he got expelled from school when his actions became known to school authorities thanks to Miguel) was that his father's wealth enabled him to literally buy his way out of lawful punishment, a strategy he would rely on well into his adult years, becoming a deranged serial killer whose last murder made him the very first target of Punisher 2099. Even then, Kron would later appear having survived his seeming demise at Jake Gallows' (Punisher 2099) hands thanks to being found by a mutated Venom symbiote that bonded with him, enabling him to attack Miguel in adulthood as Venom 2099. This would climax in the new Venom forcing Miguel into a sadistic choice between his first and second girlfriends, the outcome being that the second girlfriend died and Miguel beat Venom 2099 nearly to death once he found a way to separate Kron from the symbiote.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spider-Man 2099 #7 is out today and it was amazing!!

We learned that Rhonda's Inhuman powers are a little... weird, to say the least. She has a flaming halo and calls herself "Glorianna", professing to be the All-New, All-Different God, one who will actually listen. She's also completely batsh!t crazy and nearly kills dozens of innocents while on a rampage at St. Patrick's cathedral (I bet that destruction won't improve Nueva York back in 2099!), even hurting her own girlfriend Jasmine in the process! She disappeared to a remote mountaintop, while Miguel rushes Jasmine to the hospital. During all of this, we also got to see more boiling over of that inner struggle between Roberta and Captain America 2099! Next issue promises Miguel will discover the truth about Tempest, but regardless of the outcome, I suspect Miguel still might not get the happy ending he truly deserves.

So, did anyone else enjoy this week's issue? If so, what parts did you like most? And did you like the introduction of Glorianna?

The anticipation for #8 is gonna be killer!
    MY TOP 5 MARVEL HEROES:

MY TOP 5 DC HEROES: