View Poll Results: What hardcover format do you prefer?

Voters
653. You may not vote on this poll
  • Standard sized

67 10.26%
  • Deluxe

257 39.36%
  • Omnibus

270 41.35%
  • Absolute

143 21.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 66 of 1445 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970761161665661066 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    I would okay with it if Dc wasn't always saying how important she is with their Trinity crap. If you do at atleast show that she is so important. Green lantern seems to be far more popular and if it weren't for the fact that Wonder woman is a pop culture icon it would be Batman/Superman/Green lantern.
    Well, it's a few things. Superhero comics are, no question, a boys' club, and Wonder Woman is easily the most famous and popular female comic character in history. It certainly serves DC's image to keep her in the public eye, and at least give the impression of considering her one of their most valuable characters.

Part of it is also historical: back in the '40s, DC had exactly five characters who were popular enough to star in an anthology title, their own solo title, and a shared quarterly/bimonthly title: Superman and Batman, who shared World's Finest and had their own solo books, plus Action and Detective respectively; and Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash, who all shared Comic Cavalcade, held down solo titles, and headlined Sensation, All-American, and Flash Comics. And of those five, Wonder Woman was easily number three... there's a reason she (and the Big Two) survived the end of the Golden Age, while poor Alan and Jay (regrettably) did not. She also never waned in popularity enough to be replaced long term, the way Barry and Hal were. Given those things, DC can be forgiven for thinking that the character has proven to have some legs.

Which dovetails with that fact that you're also looking at it from a very modern perspective. Yes, today Green Lantern is probably a more popular character than Wonder Woman (or at least more profitable, which isn't always the same thing). But you only have to go back 20 years to find a time when nobody gave a hot damn about Hal Jordan, or twelve to find when Kyle Rayner was seriously waning in popularity. Geoff Johns revived the Green Lantern brand -- even his detractors can't argue that -- but he also was never going to guide the franchise forever. Let's give it another decade before declaring that Green Lantern is the new "third member of the trinity." I *like* Green Lantern, but it would be foolhardy to focus only on the last decade and forget the six and a half that preceded it.

Some interesting tidbits from Comiclist, no HC reprints/changes since last month. Interestingly they are reprinting nearly all the Gotham Central TPBs. TV show effect in full force.

GOTHAM CENTRAL BOOK 1: IN THE LINE OF DUTY TP (DEC100248) (4th printing)
    GOTHAM CENTRAL BOOK 2: JOKERS AND MADMEN TP (APR110203) (4th printing)
    GOTHAM CENTRAL BOOK 4: CORRIGAN TP (JAN120307) (3rd printing)

Updated OP with the latest Oct/Nov releases from the latest solicits. Some changes:

Batman Long Halloween Noir HC is now $49.99 from $34.99, same page count
    Aquaman Vol 5 HC now includes Annual #2 and is now 200 pages. Same price.
    Teen Titans 50 years HC, still not clear if its oversized.
    Detective Comics V5 HC is out in Novemeber now
    Batman & Robin V5 HC out in Nov now
    JSA Omnibus v2 now contains JSA ANNUAL #1 and JSA SECRET FILES #1. Page count has increased by 150 pages or so.

Question: Do you guys use the solicited HC posts at all? I figure that the advanced solicit stuff(every 3 months DC does a future CE list, its the books in bold in the second post) is probably more useful rather than the month to month solicits which is basically the same thing with a few changes. Since I'm now mod, and also keeping the Marvel thread OP up to date, it would be easier and pretty much the same info.

Thoughts?

Edit: Went and mulled it over at lunch, what I'll do is copy new Collected Solicits into a new thread or this thread and link to it in the OP. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Some interesting tidbits from Comiclist, no HC reprints/changes since last month. Interestingly they are reprinting nearly all the Gotham Central TPBs. TV show effect in full force.

Just give us an omnibus already.

Another great opportunity for omnibus, DC missed.

Batman Long Halloween Noir HC is now $49.99 from $34.99, same page count
    Who the hell gonna buy this for that price? Half of the readers dislike b&w books, especially when they intended to be in colour originally.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    The thing I do not like about the Wednesday Comics trade is how the art goes all the way to the sides of the pages, with only about a quarter of an inch of white border on the margins if there's no bleed (which is fine). BUT, the top of the pages have an inch and a half of blank space, and the bottom of the pages have two inches of blank space. That's 3 and a half inches of wasted space that they could've trimmed off the tallness of the book. OR, they could've have made it a little wider and had the art even bigger, going all the way to the top and bottom of the page like it does on the sides. As it is, it looks cheap and half-assed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    That's called extreme nitpicking, it's exactly the same in a lot of super oversized books such as the Marvel Adamantium edition. I don't see how it makes it look cheap and half-assed.
    Quote Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
    Never seen the adamantium books, so that's good to know. But it's not nearly as bad in Absolutes and omnibus books.

I know exactly why they did it too, and it is cheap. They didn't think of the dimensions before they went to printing. The original weekly run of Wednesday comics were even bigger, printed on folded up newspaper. In the hardcover, they actually made the pages smaller, but they were stuck with those page dimensions for the book, which are the wrong proportions to the art because that's just one of the standard sizes they had to choose from for the book. Going to a custom size as the book required would've cost them too much, hence, they were quite literally being cheap. Those big margins at the top and bottom just make it look like someone just randomly xeroxed the art onto the only paper they had on hand. It doesn't look deliberate. And if it were either shorter, or wider to properly accommodate the the art's dimensions, it would be a less awkward book as well. As it is, it's just too tall, and not wide enough.
    I hear what you're saying Slop and you're probably right in what DC did, but the margins just didn't have that effect on me. I have to agree with Cloysterpete that in no way does it look cheap. It's a very nicely presented book and going at very reasonable prices. I got mine for under £17 from Speedyhen (incl. shipping).

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Who the hell gonna buy this for that price? Half of the readers dislike b&w books, especially when they intended to be in colour originally.
    And especially in a story that uses a shift from colour pages to black-and-white pages to flag readers' attention to a shift in the storytelling.

All-New Member

Hi, just thought to share some images of my Absolute Planetary vol.1 and 2. Snap some pics using my phone. Sorry for the quality.

Vol.1
    30062014970.jpg
    Slipcase
    30062014972.jpg
    Front Dustjacket
    Attached Images Attached Images

All-New Member

Without the dustjacket.
    30062014978.jpg
    30062014979.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

All-New Member

Vol.2
    30062014983.jpg
    Slipcase
    30062014986.jpg
    Dustjacket
    30062014989.jpg
    Interior Page
    Last edited by THESILENTISSUE; 06-30-2014 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Changes in description of photo

All-New Member

BANNED

I absolutely loved the Frank Quitely art book. The short comics he's done we're cool and getting Batman's Scotland adventure was a fun surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by THESILENTISSUE View Post
    Those books look amazing. If I could ever find these books for a reasonable price, I'd swap my omnibus in a heartbeat!