Amazing Member

Default Kryptonian with natural affinity for magic

How powerful would a Kryptonian be if they had a natural affinity for magic?
    One as powerful as Superman, natural magic abilities, enhanced in the same way his other abilities are enhanced.
    Would this Kryptonian be a match for someone like Darkseid or Thanos?

So it's Supes amped to be times two thanks to magic?

Because the deal with that is magic can effect him the same as anyone else.

If he had magic knowledge, he could do it. And that's a pretty linear view of magic.

As it can do, a lot depending on source.

Astonishing Member

Well, we know that Darkseid is vulnerable to Spectre level actors. He was burned to a skeleton by the Hal-Spectre but didn't die because of the 'crucial to the universe' crap that they always use for not killing Galactus in the MU.

Corrigan Spectre implied that he would have no trouble with Darkseid.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Sooo... Captain Marvel affinity, or Dr. Strange Affinity? Honestly, Pre-Crisis Dr. Fate was pretty much a high end version of this. To a much lesser extent, so was Majin Buu.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 05-16-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Sooo... Captain Marvel affinity, or Dr. Strange Affinity? Honestly, Pre-Crisis Dr. Fate was pretty much a high end version of this. To a much lesser extent, so was Majin Buy.
    Yeah exactly.

Pre Crisis Fate was that basically.

Amazing Member

I was thinking like the way some DC characters have natural abilities, like Fate and Zetanna.
    So for example if the Kryptonian had Zetanna level abilities on Krypton, and assuming his magic source works anywhere, how powerful would he be?
    Having these abilities would also give him some natural defence to magic so he would not be totally vulnerable to it from others.

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FennerMachine View Post
    I was thinking like the way some DC characters have natural abilities, like Fate
    Uh...what?

Last I checked, wearing a tin can on your head that channels the power of a Lord of Order is not a natural ability.
    Last edited by Primetime Harder; 05-17-2016 at 01:27 AM.
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

I actually think they would only be slightly more versatile, really. One of the things that makes Superman so potent is his vast scientific knowledge and how to apply his powers to take advantage of it. He can look at a metallic enemy and calculate their exact melting point, he can analyze the DNA of the person he's fighting, he can weld holes in reality with either heat vision or his own static electricity. His existing powers give him a wealth of options when dealing with a problem. If he (or another kryptonian) had to also devote time to learning magic, they would have less time to learn science. He'd have some additional options but he'd be losing some as well, simply because he'd have more things to learn, a bigger bag of tricks to try out. Maybe if this was an older Kryptonian who simply had enough time to master both powersets, but if we're talking Superman's age I'm not convinced it would make a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Primetime Harder View Post
    Uh...what?

Last I checked, wearing a tin can on your head that channels the power of a Lord of Order is not a natural ability.
    He was taught magic without the helmet and had upgraded physical stats . The Kent Nelson version that is

Anyway if it's a a Fate level magician being Kryptonian doesn't really help except for innate superspeed given that level of magic renders most Kryptonian stats meaningless

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    He was taught magic without the helmet and had upgraded physical stats . The Kent Nelson version that is

Anyway if it's a a Fate level magician being Kryptonian doesn't really help except for innate superspeed given that level of magic renders most Kryptonian stats meaningless
    ...Huh. I never knew that. Well, I learned something today.

But now that I'm thinking about ways magic could make Kryptonians even more stupidly OP...time manipulation and Haste-type effects to amp that speed even more, petrification/transmutation vision, crazy-detailed magic senses....yecch.
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007