Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Hypernova is the biggest fool of the Marvel Universe.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 244 View Post
    I’m not that keen seeing Magik dominate the New Mutants movie. From the classic New Mutants comics, each character were important in their own right. I also think it’s a shame Karma isn’t in it.
    Especially with the huge Asian market for some movies. A missed opportunity on the part of the film's casting director.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicScion View Post
    These clips were so amazing....really hope rumor is true she will show up in Dr Strange movie too...amazing choice for actress
    Funny story. C Robert Cargill is a regular guest at a local nerd convention and has been for years. He comes on his own after being a "Guest Of Honor" many years ago and having had such a great time then. He appears on panels and comedy performances often and last year I stuck around to see if I could pick his brain on if he ever gave the character thought for his script for DS2. But unfortunately he was surrounded by a group of his friends and they whisked him off before I had the chance. Maybe this year!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I can definitely see that. I think it was all just an intimidation tactic.
    So Illyana's "do you wanna makeout?" & "f@#& or fight" dialogue was clearly Hickman's attempt at comedy. But I had 2 problems with it...

1. Very out of character for Illyana. I could maybe let the "makeout" line slide based on 80's Illyana being "boy-crazy". But the "f@#& of fight" line? I just don't see those words ever exiting her mouth.

2. Between Illyana's lines this issue and X-Men 3's "slut shaming" of Emma, Hickman seems to be writing for teenage boys who laugh when someone says "penis". And maybe this isn't a problem, because teenage boys are the direct market and I do not fit that category.

Ignoring the above, I did enjoy the issue and I am happy Illyana's role as a great captain came into play.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah. I was also thinking 'she hasn't said anything so overtly sexual in over 30 years' when reading it.

She has cursed before. I remember in the last Hellbound issue where she told dark Gambit "you look like fun. Now get the f@*^% away from my friend."

BANNED

Yeah. I was also thinking 'she hasn't said anything so overtly sexual in over 30 years' when reading it.

She has cursed before. I remember in the last Hellbound issue where she told dark Gambit "you look like fun. Now get the f@*^% away from my friend."
    “Dasvidanya, bitches”

Cursing is fine. It was more the statement of "sex or fight". I know Hickman is pushing the whole "mutants for free sex", but its not going to work for every character, especially ones who many have pointed out as likely asexual.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    So Illyana's "do you wanna makeout?" & "f@#& or fight" dialogue was clearly Hickman's attempt at comedy. But I had 2 problems with it...

1. Very out of character for Illyana. I could maybe let the "makeout" line slide based on 80's Illyana being "boy-crazy". But the "f@#& of fight" line? I just don't see those words ever exiting her mouth.

2. Between Illyana's lines this issue and X-Men 3's "slut shaming" of Emma, Hickman seems to be writing for teenage boys who laugh when someone says "penis". And maybe this isn't a problem, because teenage boys are the direct market and I do not fit that category.

Ignoring the above, I did enjoy the issue and I am happy Illyana's role as a great captain came into play.
    So her going straight to brawling would’ve been less juvenile? Sorry, no, I don’t buy it.

This is a comedy book, so as surprised as I was by the line, I was able to accept it in the same way I accepted Illyana hording a giant jug of coffee and drinking out of it like she was raised by demons (because ya know...). There’s lots of banter in this, and I can buy that Illyana’s banter is meant to unsettle. Doesn’t have to mean anything more than that unless it’s shown to mean more.
    Last edited by The Quiet Councilor; 01-08-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Quiet Councilor View Post
    So her going straight to brawling would’ve been less juvenile? Sorry, no, I don’t buy it.

This is a comedy book, so as surprised as I was by the line, I was able to accept it in the same way I accepted Illyana hording a giant jug of coffee and drinking out of it like she was raised by demons (because ya know...). There’s lots of banter in this, and I can buy that Illyana’s banter is meant to unsettle. Doesn’t have to mean anything more than that unless it’s shown to mean more.
    I never said anything about "going straight to brawling". She could have intimidated her opponents without the banter being sexual.

It is a little weird, but makes me wonder if she's trying to follow two of the major tenements of Krakoa (no kill / make more mutants). By "checking them off" she gets to kill/maim/harm without consequence from the Quiet Counsel.

As much as Hickman's Illyana doesn't jibe with how she's been written in the past 100%, it is obvious he loves her and wants her to kick ass and frankly I could see Bendis's Yana acting a bit like this. It's also possible that Marvel knows they need to push this book for the sake of the new movie since it will draw new readers in. If she's surly and snarky in the movie, those readers will want her to be in book too.

Frankly I love it, and I view it more of an "eye roll" on her part to make sure she's "making love not war" to not lose her role as Captain.

I'm pretty sure Illyana would have killed them no matter what they had answered.

Extraordinary Member

Hickman at least gets the power deferential. Illyana sends 5 mutants (3 actually go) to take on one boarding party while taking on the second, more dangerous boarding party by herself and the outcome is so assured there's no need to even have the fight shown on-panel.

Edit: It didn't occur to me that her dialogue was in line with Krakoan law. Make more mutants and kill no humans. It actually kind of does make sense considering she's a captain and obligated to uphold Krakoan law.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 01-08-2020 at 09:24 AM.

How was she even going to "make more mutants" with a shi'ar woman or the mantis. And I'm not even sure there have been skrull-human hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    How was she even going to "make more mutants" with a shi'ar woman or the mantis. And I'm not even sure there have been skrull-human hybrids.
    Knowing the fan theories about her sexuality, she was likely just checking boxes again to get to Hypernova without making anyone else feel bad. LOL!

I have never bought the whole asexual thing for Yana anyway it always seemed more like fans wanting to tick boxes more than any real evidence shown from the character.