Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I do think Disney is a bit alarmed at where Skywalker will end up at the box office. Should have been a slam dunk and made more than Last Jedi since it's the end of the saga.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#771fbcbf1308
    https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/disney-s...182633022.html
    https://theplaylist.net/rise-skywalk...wars-20200106/

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    The movie is at $990m as at the end of the weekend.

Where are my peeps that said this movie wont hit a billion? Or that the movie will lose money?
    Indeed it will be a Billion Dollar success by next weekend or likely sooner in at or likely under a month being out. It will also have a likely weekly cash creep that many other films had in 2019 like Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame, Aladdin, Frozen II and a few others that got more then many thought they might get.

It is hard to scope Any Movie being a bust that crosses a Billion.

I doubt Disney will be hurting over it, to have Another Billion Dollar Feather in its Hat.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

The movie is at $990m as at the end of the weekend.

Where are my peeps that said this movie wont hit a billion? Or that the movie will lose money?
    i think that is an apologist myth

still, as the last of the skywalker movies, the final of a 9(!) films movie saga, after four decades, it is very underwhelming.
    restores some hope into humanity to me, that the masses arnīt fed crap that easily

lightspeed skipping... movie violates established rules on so many occasions, it ainīt even fun laugh at that anymore
    case closed
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-12-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

A Star Wars Forum provided me with this breakdown and it was interesting;

https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.c...-8#post-570609

$478,169,690 domestic + $511,400,000 intentional = $989,569,690 worldwide

2019 domestic box office
    1. Avengers: Endgame - $858,373,000
    2. The Lion King - $543,638,043
    3. The Rise of Skywalker - $478,169,690
    4. Frozen II - $454,852,042
    5. Toy Story 4 - $434,038,008
    6. Captain Marvel - $426,829,839
    7. Spider-Man: Far From Home - $390,532,085
    8. Aladdin - $355,559,216
    9. Joker - $334,046,521
    10. Jumanji: The Next Level - $257,124,981

Did not realize it was 3rd in Domestic already, IMO impressive with still time to go and this honestly to shows how much of a Runaway Avengers: Endgame was compared to everyone else LOL!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post

still, as the last of the skywalker movies, the final of a 9(!) films movie saga, after four decades, it is very underwhelming.
    restores some hope into humanity to me, that the masses arnīt fed crap that easily

lightspeed skipping... movie violates established rules on so many occasions, it ainīt even fun laugh at that anymore
    case closed
    This post is the myth, there's nothing here to be disappointed in business wise, and it's silly to believe otherwise.

Yeah, there's no point denying that the movie is a success, much less that Disney's Star Wars has been anything short of a success.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post

case closed
    Hating the movie doesn't mean people didn't watch it in droves.

That being said, a billion dollar box office means that the audience absolutely ate it up.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-12-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I do think Disney is a bit alarmed at where Skywalker will end up at the box office. Should have been a slam dunk and made more than Last Jedi since it's the end of the saga.
    Why should have it been a Slam Dunk? Literally the third movie is often the worst movie and the audience while they like property enough to want to see the third movie the enthusiasm is often gone after seeing it once or they are just tired of the franchise and ready to move on. People have been ignoring history we rarely get the Lotor Return of King,Toy Story 3, Return of the Jedi we or we rarely get the hyped show ending with the fans happy see Lost or Game of Thrones. It is anomaly when the third movie and the ending of something meets expectation. Endgame is so good because it satisfied its audience as accumulation/peak point of the franchise. Rise of Skywalker had no shot being a Slam dunk because previous two movies killed Han Solo and Luke, plus Carrie Fisher died. The slam dunk would have been having all the old gang together in the film and give the fans at least on great moment with them.

Few things ever completely stick the landing. I don't know why people think Star War is immune from what happens to most movies and series ala Terminator 3, The Matrix 3, Spiderman 3,etc. This isn't saying there isn't some disappointment by Disney by how it is doing performance wise . But it is hard thing to have satisfying ending and saying hey it was supposed to do better because it was the third one and finale of saga flies in the face of things we have seen in the market.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-12-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    One overlooked factor in the Sequel movies' diminishing box office is the decision to kill off the protagonists of the Original Trilogy. Regardless of whether it was a sound storytelling decision (not the way I would have done it, but I can dig it), the return of the Original Trilogy characters (after their absence in the Prequels) was a big part of the initial draw for the Sequels before the release of THE FORCE AWAKENS. Sure, people were interested in new characters, but they also wanted to see what had become of Han, Luke, and Leia in the intervening thirty years. With that matter settled, and each of the characters passing on in each of the Sequel movies, the part of the audience most drawn by the allure of the Original Trilogy was just less interested, regardless of developments with the new characters. I suppose the filmmakers could have tried the approach of focusing on the OT characters and giving them lots of scenes (especially action scenes) in all three Sequel movies, but it would have been patently ridiculous to sell a new STAR WARS trilogy on the premise of three senior citizens going on adventures the way they did decades ago, without developing new stories for new and younger characters.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    This is a very important but seemingly overlooked point.

The heroes of the last trilogy are all dead. Han's death was understandable but killing off Luke really hurt the franchise and the overall mythology because of his position in it. Leia's death (which wasn't originally planned) pretty much had to happen with Carrie Fisher's death.

IMO, Disney could have done a more elegant job in the handling of the OT heroes and a smoother passing of the baton. As it were, it just seems like Disney went "lets just get rid of these guys to make way for our guys" without even considering the fact that audiences were heavily invested in these characters. Han, Luke and Leia are firmly entrenched in pop culture and getting rid of them inadvertently took away a lot of interest in the movies.

Mighty Member

This is a very important but seemingly overlooked point.

The heroes of the last trilogy are all dead. Han's death was understandable but killing off Luke really hurt the franchise and the overall mythology because of his position in it. Leia's death (which wasn't originally planned) pretty much had to happen with Carrie Fisher's death.

IMO, Disney could have done a more elegant job in the handling of the OT heroes and a smoother passing of the baton. As it were, it just seems like Disney went "lets just get rid of these guys to make way for our guys" without even considering the fact that audiences were heavily invested in these characters. Han, Luke and Leia are firmly entrenched in pop culture and getting rid of them inadvertently took away a lot of interest in the movies.
    In Luke's case, he could easily return as a Force ghost - which he did, albeit briefly - but I think they made a mistake killing off Kylo Ren/Ben Solo.
    Not only was he the the last blood Skywalker, but he was the most interesting character. A poll asking people who they wanted to see most in TROS resulted in a whopping 87% for Kylo Ren, and just 3% for Rey, while the rest were less than 3%.
    Even people I know who didn't like the ST liked Kylo. The success of the Kylo Ren comic also proves that. It didn't help much that Rey sent from a sympathetic, likeable protagonist to a symbol of perfection that it's hard to relate to. Kennedy wanted to push Rey/Finn/ Poe as the next ,Leia/Luke,/Han, but it didn't work.

I'm also constantly amazed at the arrogance of the mouse being disappointed in a respectable box office success if it didn't turn out to be a HUGE box office success!

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I'm also constantly amazed at the arrogance of the mouse being disappointed in a respectable box office success if it didn't turn out to be a HUGE box office success!
    Funny how the Mouse has been utterly silent on his thoughts on that; we're just projecting that onto him, I think.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Exclamation

Well.......The Rise of Skywalker Train Just keeps on Chugging!

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Nominated for Three Academy Awards!

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020...my-awards.html

https://thecantina.starwarsnewsnet.c...-awards.57357/

The 2020 Academy Award nominations were just announced live and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker has secured three nominations!

In addition to passing one billion dollars at the worldwide box office later this week, The Rise of Skywalker can now add three Oscar nominations to its impressive list of accomplishments. J.J. Abrams’ final chapter in the Skywalker saga has been nominated in the following categories:

•Visual Effects
    •Original Score – John Williams
    •Sound Editing

Congratulations to J.J. Abrams, Lucasfilm, and Disney. These types of nominations have become expected for Star Wars films, known for their powerful scores and state of the art sound and visual effects. The Academy Awards will take place on Sunday February 9 on ABC.

omg, so much denial.

the final of the skywalker saga! finishing 40 years of cinema enthusiasm!

it should have been avatar/avengers money if done right.
    it is one if the biggest franchises on the planet, ofc it will easily make a billion.
    people are curious, are on winter holidays, ofc they check it out.

but they failed to create a momentum, people telling each other, you gotta see that, itīs beyond awesome.

that, admit it, has not happened. not by a longshot.

if the last movie in a saga declines, it is the previous movies fault.
    it is the finale!
    imagine you are a football-fan and switch of the tv 5 minutes before the end on a draw.
    that is what happenedto RoS. the people that would have made it avatar/avengers money just didīt care anymore.
    and you folks be the corporate advocates preaching "it made a billion, that is great"

no, it lost a billion
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

the final of the skywalker saga! finishing 40 years of cinema enthusiasm!
    Except its not the final Star Wars movie. That has been made abundantly clear. Its toted as the finale to this particular storyline the original movie started not the end of Star Wars. It is not that type of finale, people know this as its no secret. Its not as monumental an end as you're trying to make it out to be to justify an argument of extreme monetary disappointment. I absolutely thing the final two pictures could have done even better and that a lot of mistakes were made. But that doesn't the sequel trilogy financial failures. Trying to make that argument is a fool's errand, and thus the bulk of exaggeration is coming from your side, not apologists.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I want to be a part of a billion dollar failure.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium