View Poll Results: Who was the first Sandman (from DC) you ever read about?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wesley Dodd/Dodds (first appearance = Adventure Comics #40, July 1939)

54 53.47%
  • Garrett Sanford (first appeared in The Sandman #1, Winter 1974)

9 8.91%
  • Hector Hall (revealed to have taken over Sanford's Sandman role in Infinty Inc. #50, May 1988)

2 1.98%
  • Dream / Morpheus (The Sandman #1, January 1989 - DC then Vertigo)

29 28.71%
  • Daniel Hall (son of Hector Hall; took over for Dream / Morpheus in Sandman #69, July 1995)

1 0.99%
  • (Sanderson) "Sandy" Hawkins (originally Golden Age sidekick Sandy / later "Sand" then "Sandman")

5 4.95%
  • Col. Larry Wilton (2002 one-shot Just Imagine Stan Lee With Walter Simonson Creating Sandman)

0 0%
  • Kieran Marshall (2007 Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason mini-series)

1 0.99%
  • other DC character? (please explain in separate post)

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

Not an official Sandman but the 1971 sand creature in the Amazing New Adventures of SUPERMAN No. 233 - 242 was sometimes referred to as the Sandman--in the letter columns but maybe not in the actual stories. If that counted, then he'd be my first (DC) Sandman.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Wes during the mid-'70s for me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not an official Sandman but the 1971 sand creature in the Amazing New Adventures of SUPERMAN No. 233 - 242 was sometimes referred to as the Sandman--in the letter columns but maybe not in the actual stories. If that counted, . . .
    Unless it's mentioned in the stories themselves, I don't consider it as "counting".

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Wes during the mid-'70s for me.
    It doesn't count, but Michael Rennie's character on Batman was the first Sandman I recall beyond comics. In fact, I believe it's the first time I ever heard the word (circa 1970).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Daniel in that JLA 2-parter.

At last check,
    * Wesley Dodd/Dodds (Golden Age Sandman) = 18 votes
    * Dream / Morpheus (mostly from Vertigo) = 9 votes
    * Hector Hall (took over for Garrett Sanford's version of Sandman) = 1 vote
    * Daniel Hall (son of Hector Hall) = 1 vote
    * (Sanderson) "Sandy" Hawkins (original Golden Age Sandy) = 1 vote
    * Kieran Marshall (Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason) = 1 vote

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    At last check,
    * Wesley Dodd/Dodds (Golden Age Sandman) = 18 votes
    Since back in (mid-)January,
    Wesley Dodd/Dodds (first appearance = Adventure Comics #40, July 1939) = 20 votes (+2)
    while all others appear to have remained the same.

Retired

While he appeared in SANDMAN, Dream of the Endless (aka Morhpeus) was rarely ever addressed as Sandman as far as I remember.

I believe in the pages of The Amazing New Adventures of SUPERMAN, the Sand Superman was called the "Sand Creature." Sandy Hawkins later showed up as a sand creature in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 113. Many years after, Sandy took the codename "Sand." I don't recall him ever going by the codename "Sandman." If he did, that would have been an improvement as I always found the Sand name annoying.

It makes one wonder why Sandy ever bothered with a mask as he was Sandy in his civilan life and Sandy in his super-hero life. Just like Bucky. Did these kids think they were fooling anyone?

It's pretty convenient how people in comic book realities get powers that match the names they have, after they get those names. The Invisible Hood called himself the Invisible Hood but he was powerless crimefighter, then in a subsequent appearance, he was so overjoyed when he happened to get invisibility powers.

Black Canary on Earth-Two had no powers, then she comes to Earth-One and she has a canary cry.

So be careful what super-hero name you choose, because you might end up in an accident that gives you those powers.

While he appeared in SANDMAN, Dream of the Endless (aka Morhpeus) was rarely ever addressed as Sandman as far as I remember.
    However, the comic book was titled "Sandman", and that was how he was referred to for his Who's Who in the DC Universe entry in 1990.

. . . Sandy Hawkins later showed up as a sand creature in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 113. Many years after, Sandy took the codename "Sand." I don't recall him ever going by the codename "Sandman." If he did, that would have been an improvement as I always found the Sand name annoying.
    I believe the transition to calling himself "Sandman" took place with the post-Infinite Crisis series Justice Society of America from 2007.

It makes one wonder why Sandy ever bothered with a mask as he was Sandy in his civilan life and Sandy in his super-hero life. Just like Bucky. Did these kids think they were fooling anyone?
    The name may have been more common back then, and writers/editors didn't worry about those things back then.

Black Canary on Earth-Two had no powers, then she comes to Earth-One and she has a canary cry.
    That was in +/-1969; writers and editors probably felt she needed a power boost. The relocation from Earth-X to Earth-1 was also the reason used for giving several members of the Freedom Fighters power changes/upgrades back in the 1970s, too.

Retired

Ah okay, I stopped reading the JSA as the post-Infinite-Crisis run ran on, because I found it boring and not really about the JSA anymore.

Sandy was a common name for boys that had sandy hair--not really for boys named Sanderson (which were pretty rare). Also if the boy was named Alexander, then Sandy might fit. Anyway I'm just having fun here. The logic of comic books opens itself up to a lot of "deep thoughts." But maybe my sense of humour is off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Since back in (mid-)January,
    Wesley Dodd/Dodds (first appearance = Adventure Comics #40, July 1939) = 20 votes (+2)
    while all others appear to have remained the same.
    And now we've got:
    * Wesley Dodd/Dodds (Golden Age Sandman) = 21 votes (+ 1)
    * Garrett Sanford (1st appeared in The Sandman #1, Winter '74) = 2 votes

Boisterously Confused

It was the Fedora/Gasmask version from one of the JL/JSA crossovers; I'm pretty sure it was the Earth-X story. I then saw an reprint in somebody's back pages (again, Fedora/Gasmask version), and a reprint of All-Star Comics #3.

It was an utter shock to me when I first encountered his skin-suit costume in Thomas' All-Star Squadron! I had the same reaction to Half-a-Helmet Dr. Fate in the same issue.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The first Sandman I ever saw was Morpheus, in a very early issue of Wizard Magazine (some silly Top Ten list or another). I was intrigued, but when I asked my LCS guy about the book, he wouldn't sell it to me since I was under 18.

All of the "Mature Reader" labeled books were kept in a small room at the back of the shop; complete with a "18+ Only!" sign and a beaded curtain for a door - the same kind they kept the Adult Films behind at your local video store...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Time for a new update:
    * Wesley Dodd/Dodds (Golden Age Sandman) = 22 votes (+ 1)
    * Dream / Morpheus (mostly from Vertigo) = 11 votes (+ 2)
    * Garrett Sanford (1st appeared in The Sandman #1, Winter '74) = 2 votes (no change)
    * Hector Hall (took over for Garrett Sanford's version of Sandman) = 1 vote (no change)
    * Daniel Hall (son of Hector Hall) = 1 vote (no change)
    * (Sanderson) "Sandy" Hawkins (original Golden Age Sandy) = 1 vote (no change)
    * Kieran Marshall (Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason) = 1 vote (no change)

Astonishing Member

Wesley in his yellow/purple spandex (a Superboy reprint in the early 70s that featured young heroes -- in this case --Sandy along with Sandman).