Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    And then A Bugs Life, which is the same story if they were all bugs...
    In the words of Ted - "Whoa"
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    In the words of Ted - "Whoa"
    Also Tropic Thunder is pretty much the same movie, actors mistaken for real heroes in effect become real heroes and save village.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Fred Allen's radio show had yakkity-yak Senator Claghorn. Later, Looney Tunes had yakkity-yak Foghorn Leghorn. Then it turns out they were both inspired by a yakkity-yak sheriff on another radio show.
    I guess more well known Flintstones was just the Honeymooners in prehistoric times. Top Cat was (Sergeant Bilko and company in an alley.
    Quick Draw McGraw/El Kabong and Baba Looey were Don Quixote and Sancho Panza with their personalities transposed on to their respective steeds -
    Quixote's personality transposed into his own horse becomes Quick Draw; The unflappable (somewhat delusional) idealist, dreamer.
    And Sancho's personality transposed into his burro, becomes Baba Looey; the loyal stoic pragmatist, realist.
    Done as a western.

And many more...
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-20-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Also Tropic Thunder is pretty much the same movie, actors mistaken for real heroes in effect become real heroes and save village.

I guess more well known Flintstones was just the Honeymooners in prehistoric times. Top Cat was (Sergeant Bilko and company in an alley. Quick Draw McGraw/El Kabong and Baba Looey were the steeds of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza with their respective personalities transposed - The unflappable idealist dreamer and the stoic pragmatist realist.
    The Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy pair had some inspiration from Danny Thomas, also. If I recall correctly. I think many of the Hanna Barbera characters had pop culture role models.

Boisterously Confused

Yeah Alex Raymond would have been a significant go-to source for inspiration and visual guide for may of these young creators...

Bunch of the early Flash Comics Hawkman was a straight Raymond lift.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Bunch of the early Flash Comics Hawkman was a straight Raymond lift.

https://i.imgur.com/EyURqid.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatcomicbookheroes.blogspot-sheldon-moldoffs-hawkman

Oh yeah, and not just the hawk-man character type and look itself, but random art work and poses. {link above]
    Neville was absolutely invoking his style, again the very prolific Raymond was one of the best go-to visual sources for ideas and poses for any young comic artists at the time of the "comic book" explosion, if they were going to lift anything Alex Raymond and the many worlds, costumes, themes, characters, of the Flash Gordon Universe's impact on the look of comic book heroes is undeniable.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-07-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy pair had some inspiration from Danny Thomas, also. If I recall correctly. I think many of the Hanna Barbera characters had pop culture role models.
    Augid Doggie and Doggie Daddy are more likely based on Spike and his son (Tyke?) from Bill and Joe's MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons. Spike and Doggie Daddy had a Jimmy Durante type voice.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Augid Doggie and Doggie Daddy are more likely based on Spike and his son (Tyke?) from Bill and Joe's MGM Tom and Jerry cartoons. Spike and Doggie Daddy had a Jimmy Durante type voice.
    That makes more sense. I was incorrectly fixated on the nose. Still, the HB characters finding inspiration with other pop culture characters is a truth.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    That makes more sense. I was incorrectly fixated on the nose. Still, the HB characters finding inspiration with other pop culture characters is a truth.
    Those HB characters kept quite a few pop culture figures alive in the public consciousness. In an odd way, I feel like I grew up with Jimmy Durante or Red Skelton, even though I really didn't.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mighty Member

Huckleberry Hound is supposedly Andy Griffith.

Yogi was obviously Ed Norton.

Well publicized is Disney's Simba from Kimba.
    The somewhat obscure Tail Spin from the even more obscure Tales of the Gold Monkey (plus a bit of Star Wars thrown in)

Last edited by Güicho; 08-14-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Joker from the Man Who Laughs

Boisterously Confused

Joker from the Man Who Laughs
    Yup (10 char)

Producer Kenny Johnson totally "stole" some of the sound, visuals and wording from the 1971 movie The Andromeda Strain for his 1976-77 The Bionic Woman TV show. Specifically, the 2-part Doomsday is Tomorrow using "the central core" and talking computer voice ideas. For the episode Vega Influence using the sound and visuals of triangles multiplying. Also, for the 2-parter, Fembots in Las Vegas, the theme of auto-immunity and the male lead played by James Olson, who was one of the principal characters in the Andromeda Strain movie six years prior.

Apparently THE LION KING took a lot of inspiration from an old Japanese movie called KIMBA THE WHITE LION?

Didn’t know about this till I read this (really fun) thread, and did some Googling on the general subject of homages (and rip offs).
    There are various articles about it online if anyone’s interested.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 09-05-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Well publicized is Disney's Simba from Kimba.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Apparently THE LION KING took a lot of inspiration from an old Japanese movie called KIMBA THE WHITE LION?

It was a Manga and TV series first, but yeah this one is pretty well known. Especially to obviously anyone in Japan, and any kid who grew up in the late 60's early 70s, who watched it on American TV.

Also pretty good breakdown here
    Gives a good History, gets to Disney's blatant obfuscation and how their cover up falls apart, yet also show it's not just all black and white, as there was allot more going on creatively then just "copy that". Which should also be recognized.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-05-2019 at 09:38 AM.