Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I Hereby suggest The name Robinbat for Tim. The Red Robin name always make me think of the Fatty food restaurant as his costume made him look like Doc Midnight's side kick

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I suppose it was inevitable. I dont know what exactly about Tim Tynion is such a huge fan of, or what caught his interest in the first place, but I always find it interesting when a writer who loves a character ends up missing the mark. Like, Tynion dude, you're a huge fan of Tim......why have you taken the more "mundane" aspects of his struggle out of his narrative? I think Tim being a little more down to earth than the other Robins is what made a lot of people gravitate to him; that Peter Parker-esque vibe where Tim had to work harder and struggle more because he wasn't some super-gifted natural hero. How'd Tynion miss including that?

Again, many thanks and props to the guy for fixing Tim up as much as he has. I just find the....blind-spot.....interesting. And I suppose if I were given the reigns on Superman, my favorite character, I'd probably make similar mistakes too, so Im not judging the guy.
    Yeah, its baffling to me as well.

Especially given Tynion's age, he was probably getting into Tim during the peak of his "Spider-Man meets Batman" days.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post

Especially given Tynion's age, he was probably getting into Tim during the peak of his "Spider-Man meets Batman" days.
    Same here! The constant struggle to keep his school grades up and his vigilante identity a secret to his very present father, the relationship with the untameable Stephanie developing organically over a long period of time, his civilian friends and acquanitances, the fact that he could pass out during an escapology attempt because the pain of a dislocated thumb was too much for him... those were the factors that made me become a fan of the third Robin! Where's all of that, now? Who's this Undisputed Ace in all Disciplines who immediately gets the girl because shut up and pulls out self-regenerating, hi-tech bases out of his @$$ like nothing? He may be called Tim Drake, but the character featured in DC books over the last six years is a complete stranger.

"What's next for Tim Drake?"

If Tynion is on writing duties, I'm not interested. In fact, Detective Comics #967 was my last issue until the title gets a new writer and a new direction.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post

Actually, he said he "got into" DC with Teen Titans' Johns and other than that he had only read a few issues of Robin and a few of YJ.

Actually, he said he "got into" DC with Teen Titans' Johns and other than that he had only read a few issues of Robin and a few of YJ.
    That explains so much about his writting. Anyway the Tim of that time was different of his originally despiction, when he was more competent (althougth still no The Ace that he seems to be in this days), but because of his sucessfull carreer as Robin it felt more natural, i mean at some point the ubderdog is going to give a run for his money to the top dog, but without that story and how exxagerated can be the batfamily abilities this days, well it make him look kind of bad. Not having a civilian life (a big part of Tim's appeal, even during his Robin days) and being stuck in team books (wich also has a tendency to exagerated everything) doesn't help him either.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Welp, that certainly explains it. That was probably the first big step into Batman Jr. territory.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    So Tim is his favourite but he was selective in what Tim material he read. Usually fans seek out everything about a character they like. That means he doesn't know the real character
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 11-06-2017 at 11:01 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    So Tim is his favourite but he was selective in what Tim material he read. Usually fans seek out everything about a character they like.
    No he's read pretty much everything with Tim in it (At least he's said so), but Johns TT was where he really started before going back to read the earlier stuff.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    No he's read pretty much everything with Tim in it (At least he's said so), but Johns TT was where he really started before going back to read the earlier stuff.
    Ahh so it's more a case of he can't get past that Tim. I thought that having a big fan in the BatOffice meant things were looking up for Tim

BANNED

I think Tim should be dead again Permanently. If not, he should be treated as something a little less than Tim-God. It feels like Tynion is Mary-Sueing the heck out of the character. (This is not an Appreciation site).
    Last edited by oasis1313; 11-07-2017 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    . Usually fans seek out everything about a character they like. That means he doesn't know the real character
    That is a good point. I mean I love Wonder Girl but man, I would suck at writing her.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    If not, he should be treated as something a little less than Tim-God. It feels like Tynion is Mary-Sueing the heck out of the character. (This is not an Appreciation site).
    Completely agree with you here.

If not, he should be treated as something a little less than Tim-God. It feels like Tynion is Mary-Sueing the heck out of the character. (This is not an Appreciation site).
    He isn't in Mary Sue territory yet. but it dangerously close.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    He isn't in Mary Sue territory yet. but it dangerously close.
    Yeah, skirting the line every now and then.

Rebirth has been a pretty interesting kinda reboot/soft reboot whatever the hell DC wants to call it, I dont care. Its clearly trying to appease old fans whilst being a good introduction point for new fans. I'm honestly curious if Tim Drake, as he is now, is actually an intriguing character for anyone new to comics. Its been months and I feel like Tynion has kinda left out the 'selling point' for Tim, why he stands out, why people should give a damn. I feel too close to the character to get an accurate gauge on how *'attractive' he could be to new audiences at this point.

I mean TEC seems to be doing fine and all, but I would really like characters like Tim, Cass and Steph to be strong enough to hold their own title once again, you know? Whilst they seem to be strong together, I'm not convinced Tim (or any of em) could 'survive' on their own singular audience appeal.

*as in how interesting, engaging, appealing etc you get me.

Yeah, skirting the line every now and then.

Rebirth has been a pretty interesting kinda reboot/soft reboot whatever the hell DC wants to call it, I dont care. Its clearly trying to appease old fans whilst being a good introduction point for new fans. I'm honestly curious if Tim Drake, as he is now, is actually an intriguing character for anyone new to comics. Its been months and I feel like Tynion has kinda left out the 'selling point' for Tim, why he stands out, why people should give a damn. I feel too close to the character to get an accurate gauge on how *'attractive' he could be to new audiences at this point.

I mean TEC seems to be doing fine and all, but I would really like characters like Tim, Cass and Steph to be strong enough to hold their own title once again, you know? Whilst they seem to be strong together, I'm not convinced Tim (or any of em) could 'survive' on their own singular audience appeal.

*as in how interesting, engaging, appealing etc you get me.
    I recently handled Tim's first trade to a person that only knew him for his apperances from 2011 onward and completly dislike him and after reading said trade, he actually was surprisde of how good it was in comparison with everything that he read about him since the reboot, granted is one person, but still think that not all hope is lost.

Honestly Tim needs a solo (not writting by Tynion), when he has the opportunity to be a characther, not a plot device, with the role of generic team leader or THE Hacker, when he has to balanced his normal and superhero life, some updating is needed here and there, but is nothing that any other charachter hadn't gone throught in their long story.