Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I consider them stand-alone, not filler. There's no "main" story these are taking the place of. They're simply their own stories. Thus nothing to fill except the initiative at hand, and that's trying to reach a wider audience. And in that regard it would make sense to me that if you're trying to introduce a new group of people in, you do that by showing off your best.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I consider them stand-alone, not filler. There's no "main" story these are taking the place of. They're simply their own stories. Thus nothing to fill except the initiative at hand, and that's trying to reach a wider audience. And in that regard it would make sense to me that if you're trying to introduce a new group of people in, you do that by showing off your best.
    true, my main point is just being surprised that DC is stacking these giants with A list writers like King and Bendis when in the past stunts like these have used newcomers or just writers that aren't on the main line books.

I'm surprised by the announcement, but it looks like it might be smart business. Print is.....well, it doesn't seem to be recovering to the level it was a decade or two ago before the internet became the focal point of human experience, but it's definitely seeing a bit of a resurgence. And Wal-Mart is, last I knew, the biggest retailer in America by a long shot.

This seems like a great way to grab the attention of younger non-fans who come from families who aren't terribly web-savvy and don't have the extra bank for a new PS4 game, but could probably manage an extra five bucks for a magazine.

It'll depend on how and where the books are stored and marketed, I suppose. I don't visit Wal-Marts very often, but the ones I do see have fairly small book sections, and I rarely see kids digging through the shelves. So I'm hoping there's some kind of display or advertising to direct people to these digests. At least keep them close to the movies and video games; a kid looking for the newest Avengers blu-ray or Lego game should have these books placed directly in their sight line. Even the poor kid who can't afford that movie or game could walk away with a comic as a consolation prize.

And a combination of older stories and a little new material will keep production costs low, so making a profit shouldn't be hard.

Yeah, I'm really hoping this goes well. I won't be buying any of these (though King on Superman is tempting as hell) but I'm not the target audience here. And anything that gets us free from direct market dependency is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think the implication is that you can consider them canon if you want to but I doubt the mainstream books will ever acknowledge them. It's one of those "everything to everyone" type of things. If the idea is to get new readers onboard, modeling it after what's going on in the mainstream books is a good idea. But not making them required reading to follow the main books is the best idea.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Ill be buying all of these for sure,support for DC trying to open their base of customer's, and because kon-El is front and center on 1 of the covers.

Hopefully these are not just stuffed in the rack where they will get lost in the stacks.

They could put teen titans go, dc superhero girls,super sons, and this all on the same display,make it look impressive
    Last edited by stephens2177; 06-22-2018 at 08:01 PM.

This is perfect! I'll pick these up for sure and then pass them off to my Nephews and Nieces when i'm finished. Great deal!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Agreed. I actually really like the idea that they're trying to throw the biggest guns (at least as writers, though I personally have my own wishes as to art) at the wall(mart!) to see if this will stick as a potential entry point for new readers. At the least, we should be getting really cool new stories from excellent creators. At the most, we'll be getting a whole new method of getting comics!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    true, my main point is just being surprised that DC is stacking these giants with A list writers like King and Bendis when in the past stunts like these have used newcomers or just writers that aren't on the main line books.
    Yup! As someone who enjoyed collecting the Batman vs. Superman and Justice League cereal tie-in comics that they did over the past two years, those were given pretty big name writers and artists, too - Fabian Nicieza, Marguerite Bennett, Christos Gage, Marcus To, Eduardo Pansica, Joshua Williamson, Tom Grummett, Rick Leonardi (who's also on this project). I think they're moving away from trying to treat those kinds of things as completely disposable, and trying to make them more meaningful. And I'm really glad of it!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Looks cool. I saw some people angry that this is “hurting comic shops”, but comic shops are a dying breed. Every week we hear about another one closing. DC (and Marvel) need to start reaching out beyond comic book shops.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Looks cool. I saw some people angry that this is “hurting comic shops”, but comic shops are a dying breed. Every week we hear about another one closing. DC (and Marvel) need to start reaching out beyond comic book shops.
    I saw one comic store owner saying it's good, it points people to the stores. A bunch of others are mad because it's outside the DM - but to me, I'm like...how many people are going to stop buying things from the DM because they can get a 12 page story from Walmart? I'm planning to get these books, but I have no plans to drop any of my current books for that.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think the implication is that you can consider them canon if you want to but I doubt the mainstream books will ever acknowledge them.
    They could just do what Doomsday Clock has done and place them a year later in the continuity.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    They could just do what Doomsday Clock has done and place them a year later in the continuity.
    I imagine they'll stop doing that just to avoid restrictions in continuity to other writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I imagine they'll stop doing that just to avoid restrictions in continuity to other writers.
    Perhaps, but I think it can also help a writer to come up with the best way of getting from A to B and tell a story that has some definitive beginning, middle, and end, rather than drag something on for the entirety of their run which may not be resolved when they leave

BANNED

With the comic shop locator in these issues hopefully we also get a link to comixology, which is a easier way to get comics, 2nd only to getting it that day at Walmart, they can go hand in hand

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I saw one comic store owner saying it's good, it points people to the stores. A bunch of others are mad because it's outside the DM - but to me, I'm like...how many people are going to stop buying things from the DM because they can get a 12 page story from Walmart? I'm planning to get these books, but I have no plans to drop any of my current books for that.
    Yeah as is I don't see a correlation given the material and I can't imagine getting to the point where the DM suffers unless there's a price difference on new comics. That's not a conclusion I can see.

12 pages a month is doable for Andy. Life long fan of his work here.

BANNED

The original stories will eventually find their way to retailers

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06...int-palmiotti/