Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Tynion's one weakness that I don't like is that he likes to make a curb-stomp battle. I don't mind the established stronger character like Shiva or Cass win, but I want there to be a reasonable struggle.

Sounds like he's still doing it?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Tynion's one weakness that I don't like is that he likes to make a curb-stomp battle. I don't mind the established stronger character like Shiva or Cass win, but I want there to be a reasonable struggle.

Sounds like he's still doing it?
    Not in this issue at least. Almost the entirety of the fight occurred off panel, but the aftermath depicted it as far from one sided.

It seemed pretty one sided. Still its the same basic trap of look how cool this guy is cause he just beat up this guy.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-10-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Amazing Member

Can't argue your second point, but I personally wouldn't consider a fight where the victor is bloodied and exhausted afterwards to be particularly one sided.

My biggest issue with Tynion is his reliance on sci-fi gadgetry and Battlestar Galactica-levels of personal transport. Batman flying around Gotham in what is effectively a spaceship, calling upon sentient robots and throwing magic-technology beads to fool otherwise intelligent criminals strays from the essence of the character, in my opinion.

And I agree that Bruce Wayne is way too rich. Combined with the technology fascination, Tynion seems to believe that Bruce Wayne is an alternate universe Elon Musk.

Tynion seems to believe that Bruce Wayne is an alternate universe Elon Musk.
    I been thinking an alternate Elon Musk (including the ego and petty viciousness) would be an interesting take on Lex Luthor. But, you know, with more murder. I like an evil Lex.

I really enjoyed this issue of BATMAN, something I haven't been able to say of this title in years and years. And years.

Pretty good start. Nothing groundbreaking but not bad. Batman doesn't sound like a caveman and him and Catwoman have actual, normal sounding conversations so that's already a huge plus for me.

I'd say it was good enough for me stick around a few issues and see how it goes.

Incredible Member

It was like a dry piece of turkey between two slices of white bread but idk we'll see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    My biggest issue with Tynion is his reliance on sci-fi gadgetry and Battlestar Galactica-levels of personal transport. Batman flying around Gotham in what is effectively a spaceship, calling upon sentient robots and throwing magic-technology beads to fool otherwise intelligent criminals strays from the essence of the character, in my opinion.

And I agree that Bruce Wayne is way too rich. Combined with the technology fascination, Tynion seems to believe that Bruce Wayne is an alternate universe Elon Musk.
    One of my many issues with Tynion's version of Bats. The whole issue looked rather generic to me.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by jcl100 View Post
    Not in this issue at least. Almost the entirety of the fight occurred off panel, but the aftermath depicted it as far from one sided.
    Batman is still conscious and coherent
    Deathstroke is out cold

Batman's record against slade is pretty firmly solid right now after this issue

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    One of my many issues with Tynion's version of Bats. The whole issue looked rather generic to me.
    This is the main thing I heard about this guy when he was announced. That what he does is fine, but never memorable. Maybe since it isn't intended to last long, what they want is "generic," so that they can tie it into their event stuff easier?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    This is the main thing I heard about this guy when he was announced. That what he does is fine, but never memorable. Maybe since it isn't intended to last long, what they want is "generic," so that they can tie it into their event stuff easier?
    That's exactly it. It's essentially filler leading up to #100 which is when I think 5G begins.

King talked about it a bit on the Gotham by Geeks podcast, when his run was originally scheduled for 100 issues, there would've been some more space before City Of Bane when Bat & Cat were taking down villains-of-the-month, but that turned into Batman/Catwoman.

It was a solid issue and a good start for a stabilization/soft reset run.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Marvel used to have this problem with Spider-man before they basically just settled to sweeping status quo changes every few years
    Right now Bruce only has to deal with Alfred and Commisioner Gordon being gone not as big as losing his secret identity or access to his fortune
    ...Yeah, I'll just assume you're talking about something else entirely different that don't have anything to do with some nonsensical viewpoint that "Too many Bat Fam characters = Bad writing (choices)!" because of some weird, silly logic that doesn't hold to water by any stretch of the imagination and roll with it.