Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you feel if Lex Luthor was taken out of the picture for a while?

So I feel like Lex needs to go away for a while and I think that this needs to happen soon after Year of the Villain concludes. I mean he's a good villain but the using the guy so much for major storylines is getting old and I'd like for him be neutralized for a while. Like he goes to far and Superman finally has enough and Lex Luthor gets nervous about what Superman has in mind and then the final scene is of Batman asking Clark what happened to Lex and Clark just vaguely answers "He will never hurt anyone again." Then it skips to Lex Luthor screaming inside of the Phantom Zone or some other hellish place that only Superman can get to. Then maybe as a consequence of this Zod couldbe freed and take Lex's place as his main villain for a few years or Ultra Humanite could step up to role in Lexi's absence.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I wouldn't mind. Lex is great and all. But, other villains might be given attention by the writers and they will be forced to be creative with villains

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I mean he's quickly joining Brainiac as "Superman's awesome villain that we're turning into a JL villain."

When was the last time Luthor was the big bad in one of Superman's own books?

That was my thought. It's been quite a while since Lex got much focus in a Superman comic.

I doubt he's going to take a break though. Lex's appearance at the end of Superman 18 tells me Bendis has plans for how Lex will deal with Clark's identity being public. And since Lex is the arch nemesis that's something we *should* see.

I suppose if 5G happens sooner rather than later and involves a time skip, we might miss all of that, but I'm guessing Lex will be making a return to Clark's books before too long.

But generally speaking, yeah I wouldn't mind if Lex was put on the shelf for a while. I enjoyed Snyder's JL for what it was but Lex has been all over the place in recent years, from villain to hero to villain to alpha big time villain, and much like the Joker it's just getting played out.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Apex Lex is kinda lame, so yeah shelve him for a bit and push the other rogues

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Apex Lex is kinda lame, so yeah shelve him for a bit and push the other rogues
    ^^^This.

Let anticipation for his return build, because right now, he’s pretty overexposed.

Personally, I wish Lex had stayed a good-ish guy. I liked hero Lex. He's better than what we have now. Like whenever Magneto turns good-ish

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean he's quickly joining Brainiac as "Superman's awesome villain that we're turning into a JL villain."

When was the last time Luthor was the big bad in one of Superman's own books?
    As the Big Bad it’s been a while, but he’s been a huge focus in the Superbooks since Rebirth. I personally am fine with putting him on the shelf for a bit, much as I consider Lex to be my favorite villain and the GOAT villain over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Personally, I wish Lex had stayed a good-ish guy. I liked hero Lex. He's better than what we have now. Like whenever Magneto turns good-ish
    Yeah, I feel that way about... definitely not every villain, but a good handful of villains. Lex Luthor, Magneto, Otto "Spider-Man" Octavius, Black Adam all have been written so well as quasi-heroic figures that I legitimately think the option of returning them to their earlier and more simplistic, cartoonish form of villainy should be taken totally off the table for all future writers who aren't just doing a throwback piece like "DC Retroactive" or whatever.
    Last edited by Adekis; 01-15-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^This.

Let anticipation for his return build, because right now, he’s pretty overexposed.
    Yes! Absolutely yes! Lex is one of a number of characters who are WAY overexposed. And the Joker, and Darkseid. I would rest them all for a few years so that their eventual reappearances would actually mean something for a change. And along the way, I'd stop making everything about Harley Quinn. Have her appear in her own title, and maybe SS, and that's it.

I'd be fine with it, it does help every once in a while and they indeed do it sometimes. He went off the canvas for a bit when he "died" and became Lex II. Then he went off the grid for a bit after he succumbed to the clone sickness. I think in general its a good thing to do for the higher profile villains of a rogue's gallery, then have them return with a splash later after others get some play.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Like the Joker with Batman, I think Lex should be taken off the table for a good long while, make the writers come up with something/someone original for a Superman foil. I doubt it'll ever happen though, Lex is far too iconic a villain.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Are we talking Lex being off the table for Superman use or being off the table entirely?

I'm down for both, but lean heavily toward the latter. I don't want him removed from Superman but popping up through-out the DC line while that is happening. And no using Lex stand-ins- no Lena Luthor in Supergirl or Rex Luthor from Super-sons. Just send the whole "smartest man alive who hides his villainous nature from the general public" into the shadows for awhile. Let it rest and regenerate.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Since he's been featured a lot since New 52, yeah. He can go for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Are we talking Lex being off the table for Superman use or being off the table entirely?

I'm down for both, but lean heavily toward the latter. I don't want him removed from Superman but popping up through-out the DC line while that is happening. And no using Lex stand-ins- no Lena Luthor in Supergirl or Rex Luthor from Super-sons. Just send the whole "smartest man alive who hides his villainous nature from the general public" into the shadows for awhile. Let it rest and regenerate.
    I'm talking about him being off the table entirely my main idea is for him to be cast into the Phantom Zone by Clark.