Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Well we did have a main universe nightman but marvel killed him off. Black knight, sersi and the gems have a history in the ultraverse also (gems don't work in other universes my butt! They worked just fine in the ultraverse!) Plus marvel has used main universe versions of topaz and exiles.

Heroes like the strangers, nightman and mantra would work great in the main universe. A updated prime would fit right in with the champions or new warriors. The worst part is dc was also wanting to buy them. If dc had we might have them in stories today! We even got wildstorm heroes in the flashpoint animated film!

I would even settle for some trades of the old stories. A ultraforce epic collection would be great! Even the avengers crossover would be better then nothing.

On another note nightman the series is now on dvd and amazon now has the ultraforce cartoon!

I know than Marvel uses the Exiles name as a Trademark, but the concept for Marvel's Exiles is far different from the original Ultraverse's Exiles. There can be a commonpoint in the Black September team, but at that time, from the Ultraverse was left almost a shadow of its former self.

But what baffled me it is to know there are a main universe of Topaz. Who are you talking about?
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-06-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Why would it stir up anything? Yeah, I know he's in jail (and why), but paying him for work done 20 years ago shouldn't bother anyone. But of course, people there days get bothered by anything.
    You are forgetting who is Marvel's parent company now and what kind of profile they like to show.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I knowtha Marvelusesthe Exiles as a Trademark, but the concept for Marvel's Exiles is far different from the original Ultraverse Exiles. But what baffled me it is to know thereare a main universe of Topaz. Who are you talking about?
    Was the Topaz in Thor Ragnorak a variation of the Ultraverse character?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Was the Topaz in Thor Ragnorak a variation of the Ultraverse character?
    Aren't there two characters that have the name Topaz? One is the mystic, who has been around Marvel forever, and the other is the Malibu/Utraverse character.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Aren't there two characters that have the name Topaz? One is the mystic, who has been around Marvel forever, and the other is the Malibu/Utraverse character.
    Yeah, I believe there's more than one.

Though the hair bun and staff of the Topaz we saw in Ragnorak arguably makes her resemble the Ultraverse version a LITTLE more. Not that she's a very close analogue to either. But if it is the Ultraverse version, it's interesting that an Ultraverse character made the cut into an MCU movie before quite a few more established marvel guys. If that's her.

Most sites list her as the ultraverse topaz. Even wiki has her the ultraverse version. She even has a staff just like hers and wears the same colors in her outfit as her comic version and in the avengers crossover she was working for---Grandmaster and loki in a battle area making heroes fight each other! Isn't that what she did in thor 3?

Marvel will not say it's her to avoid paying money but they took a lot from her right down to her ties with loki and grandmaster.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 08-06-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Hyperion vs Prime. Fight to the death. 1,000 page omnibus. Nothing but splash pages.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Yeah, I believe there's more than one.
    Well, yes. But not many. There is the witch from Werewolf by night who sometimes helpsdr. Strange, and then, the mutant enemy of Domino from her last series. Special case, that last one because she had a boyfriend called Prototype. But outside that, they had nothing in common with the Ultraverse characters and apparentely were more a tongue-in-cheek reference. Or a subtle way to use the names. But not sure. Only Gail Simone knows.

Though the hair bun and staff of the Topaz we saw in Ragnorak arguably makes her resemble the Ultraverse version a LITTLE more. Not that she's a very close analogue to either. But if it is the Ultraverse version, it's interesting that an Ultraverse character made the cut into an MCU movie before quite a few more established marvel guys. If that's her.
    If she is, or at least if that was the intention, I would be surprised. But, well, the character is different enough to argument than she is a character created only for the MCU and had no relationship with the one from the comics beyond the name. Because if it was the Ultraverse one, some creator would had make a fuss about the payment of royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Most sites list her as the ultraverse topaz. Even wiki has her the ultraverse version. She even has a staff just like hers and wears the same colors in her outfit as her comic version and in the avengers crossover she was working for---Grandmaster and loki in a battle area making heroes fight each other! Isn't that what she did in thor 3?
    And most sites would be wrong if it is not. But the point is than she was too much different from the comic version to be a whole other character. From what I had read it is more like wishfull thinking or a fan theory, but nothing as been confirmed officially. And I doubt it will be soon. At most, you could assume than Topaz from theMCU is a homage character to the comics Topaz.

Marvel will not say it's her to avoid paying money but they took a lot from her right down to her ties with loki and grandmaster.
    And that is pretty much a bad politic. One thing is to denied to use characters to pay the creators, but to use them and changed them to not pay the creators is really a worse way of acting. I can understand and accept the first behavior, even if I disagree or dislike with it, but the second one is a bad and unethical bussiness practice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    it's a shame that malibu own superhero universe - the protectors, ex-mutants and dinosaurs for hire will all killed off to make way fo the ultraverse
    Their Genesis line was still being published when Ultraverse came out. I don't remember what happened with Ex-Mutants and Dinosaurs for Hire but the creators of the Protectors destroyed their universe when Malibu was sold to Marvel so Marvel couldn't use their universe. Most of these characters are on the public domain though and I'd love to see them back.

I would have used them during Secret Wars a few years back. Later a short miniseires, "Ultraverse invades Marvel." Or something darker, "Ultraverse kills the Marvel Universe." This would then lead to their own series.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I would have used them during Secret Wars a few years back. Later a short miniseires, "Ultraverse invades Marvel." Or something darker, "Ultraverse kills the Marvel Universe." This would then lead to their own series.
    If there was anytime to use the Ultraverse, it would have been Secret Wars or Time Runs Out. The fact that they didn't, or even make vague analogues somewhat resembling them, tells me that they legit are scared to use them for whatever reason. Those contracts must really be scary.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    no excuse for not bringing them back. another world is fine.
    Marvel should sell the Ultraverse, along with Angela. I never saw how Ultraverse fits in with The Marvel Universe. Angela was a shock as I never though that Neil Gaiman would sell Angela to Marvel Comics instead of bringing the character over to Dark Horse Comics. It was worse when Jim Lee sold Wildstorm Comics to DC Comics instead of keeping her independent. Imagine how far Malibu Comics and Wildstorm Comics might have gone if the original owners had not sold out to the establishment.

If there was anytime to use the Ultraverse, it would have been Secret Wars or Time Runs Out. The fact that they didn't, or even make vague analogues somewhat resembling them, tells me that they legit are scared to use them for whatever reason. Those contracts must really be scary.
    Indeed,it must be something very draconian.

Astonishing Member

It that's the case, Marvel should sell Malibu Comics back to the original owners.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    It that's the case, Marvel should sell Malibu Comics back to the original owners.
    Or try to come to some kind of new agreement with them.