Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Taking him out of the Titans sphere, just to make Vic a founding member of the latest iteration of the Justice League, was detrimental to him as a character, when he works better as a second generation (not second tier) character.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I don't believe that putting Cyborg on the Justice League has done him any good, but it has done him a good amount of damage. The only upshot from this was stuff related to merchandising, I guess, but even then, the video game appearances, the toys, or whatever else...it all rings hollow when the character is suffering in that Justice League spot. It's like having a toyline for a movie or cartoon that sucks. It just...doesn't mean a whole lot. Being in that film didn't do Cyborg any good at all.

Every character needs good stories that is obvious. But one of the problems of Cyborg not working is that he wasn't enough wish fulfillment in the way Superman and Flash are wish fulfillment. Then some of us were explaining that over the years Cyborg design has changed and he has become more wish fulfillment character which was met with a "non-fan" tell us no Cyborg supposed to forever be disfigured at times lame character who always gets body parts rip off instead of a technology "superman style" powerhouse that over years he has evolved into. We don't dislike Cyborg we are waiting for them to put together the full package of look, powerset, and respect in a good story.

I think most people would be happy with more upbeat personality shown in titans cartoon, Ivan Reis design with logo,The cast and villians from Semper run with Cyborg treated like he was powerhouse/competent hero that he has shown in a couple of runs. We are waiting for some to combine all the good aspect in one.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-12-2019 at 05:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Every character needs good stories that is obvious.
    The best solutions often are.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Perhaps you should ask yourself that question. It seems most of your posts are about complaining about how the character isn't a god rather than appreciating the character. If anything, I've actually done more defending of what the character actually has been for like 40 years.

If you have points to make, you should probably just stick to those rather than questioning why people who may disagree with you are in the topic, when they are not violating any of the rules of the discussion.
    it's a valid question because your bias against Cyborg skews your premise. If you don't like the character why do you feel the need to come to their appreciation and try to shoot down other people's suggestions, people who actually do enjoy the character, on how they would like the character to grow. A lot of the suggestions that you have shot down aren't coming out if thin air, they're themes, ideas, and characterizations for Vic that have come to exist over time that fans of the character would like to see expanded on. it's intellectually dishonest to paint yourself as some defender of the essence of the character when the character has grown in different ways over the years and you only seem insistent on your interpretation of the character that stops short of 20 years ago. hell, at least skyvolt comes with numbers on trades, demographics, and actual constructive analysis, all you do is derail with your own personal bias. your criticism comes from an angle that the character is a "weak ass side character" so when you are saying "oh you shouldn't suggest x, you should accept the character for who they are" what you are really saying is "I think this is a bad character and you should accept it as bad to" and that's also intellectually dishonest. you aren't saying it out of respect for or appreciation of the character or it's fans; you're just to be a dick, a downer, or a troll. I'm all for holding DC to task and speaking truth to power but from the simplest standpoint, what's the point of you being here on an APPRECIATION thread if you don't even appreciate the character in any form? DC not gonna see this, it's just people who are interested in Cyborg here, ylyou don't run with that crowd. is it an ego thing? are you just here to promote your webcomics? I mean no undue disrespect, maybe you just aren't communicating your ideas properly and you do have some kind of appreciation for Cyborg and John Stewart but, if not, I honestly believe fandom would be significantly less toxic if people like you didn't devote so much energy to characters and ideas you don't care for. like Michael B said "if ain't for you, it ain't for you"

but hey I'm probably speaking to deaf ears anyway so I'll say this; respectfully, if you don't like the character and want a place to solely groan and criticize with nothing constructive to add, make a Cyborg depreciation thread or something kid.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-12-2019 at 08:15 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Vamp Savoir is right. This is really one of the only DC CBR threads where people can do anything but appreciate the character the thread was made after while living in a delusion they have created unto themselves.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    A lot of the suggestions that you have shot down aren't coming out if thin air, they themes, ideas, and characterizations for Vic that have come to exist over time that fans of the character would like to see expanded on. it's intellectually dishonest to paint yourself as some defender of the essence of the character when the character has grown in different ways over the year and you only seem insistent on your interpretation of the character that stops short of 20 years ago. .
    Beautifully said.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Vamp Savoir is right. This is really one of the only DC CBR threads where people can do anything but appreciate the character the thread was made after while living in a delusion they have created unto themselves.
    I have to confess that this phenomenon actually interests me more than the character in question. I look at this thread, and I see people essentially saying, "We don't really like this character as he's been for 40 years. But we supposedly like this character. We like this dream version we've created where he's a perfect black man god who can do anything." And I'm like, "What is this I'm reading? Does this actually make a whole lot of sense for the character, his history, and how people have known him for 40 years? Regardless of my feelings about the character, is this actually what is good for the character?" When you say that, rather than simply defending their stance, now they come at you with, "What are you doing in this topic?"

if you don't want the stuff you post to be questioned, don't post it on a public discussion forum.

So it's not Cyborg then. It's the phenomenon of Cyborg's delusional fans that's intriguing. Good to know!

If you have points to make, you should probably just stick to those rather than questioning why people who may disagree with you are in the topic, when they are not violating any of the rules of the discussion.
    if you don't want the stuff you post to be questioned, don't post it on a public discussion forum.
    ???

You know what? Nah....

So anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing where things go with Vic and Darkseid. I never thought I'd see the day when he'd be facing off against him. I'm really digging the way his body morphs with his limbs weaponry. Conrad & co. is doing a great job on art.
    Last edited by Iconic; 07-12-2019 at 08:02 PM.

I have to confess that this phenomenon actually interests me more than the character in question. I look at this thread, and I see people essentially saying, "We don't really like this character as he's been for 40 years. But we supposedly like this character. We like this dream version we've created where he's a perfect black man god who can do anything." And I'm like, "What is this I'm reading? Does this actually make a whole lot of sense for the character, his history, and how people have known him for 40 years? Regardless of my feelings about the character, is this actually what is good for the character?" When you say that, rather than simply defending their stance, now they come at you with, "What are you doing in this topic?"

Yeah. I mean how do you even argue anything you said in this thread.

They are and have been discussing a character that doesn't exist and to add they seem angry that he doesn't exist. In a Appreciation thread for another character no less.
    When you go to actually talk about things that actually happen to the character in the past or to extent currently there is only like 3 others besides you an me who actually contribute.

And you know what the oddest thing about this? I mean outside of not wanting their post questioned in a discussion forum. The character they really want already in a way exist in the DC Universe and you know what? They don't post in that thread. I probably have more post in that thread and it's only 3-4 pages long.

They won't contribute or show interest the very character who checks a lot of the box (not all) that they want and my only reasoning I can come up with behind it is that because it would take to much effort to be a fan for him and convince DC to use him with their interest.

*shrug*
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I have to confess that this phenomenon actually interests me more than the character in question. I look at this thread, and I see people essentially saying, "We don't really like this character as he's been for 40 years. But we supposedly like this character. We like this dream version we've created where he's a perfect black man god who can do anything.".
    Keep on telling us we are wishing from nowhere about Cyborg improvements fine I guess I don't know what to say anymore. Now if you excuse me I am going to back to reading my comic where Cyborg unlocks his power is black man god who can do anything

Capture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    So anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing where things go with Vic and Darkseid. I never thought I'd see the day when he'd be facing off against him. I'm really digging the way his body morphs with his limbs weaponry. Conrad & co. is doing a great job on art.
    The art is cool but I am just bias to way it was done by Reis in thinking about It is not really that different tho
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-12-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The art is cool but I am just bias to way it was done by Reis in thinking about It is not really that different tho
    Oh no doubt. Reis artwork was amazing on the solo. I was a big fan of the blue lighting that was in the limb morphing. It was a great splash of color to the visuals.
    Last edited by Iconic; 07-13-2019 at 03:26 AM.

Spectacular Member

I've always preferred the blue light opposed to the red light in his design. I feel it works better with the grey and silver of his metal parts. It may not be the best design but I'll give the way he's drawn in the latest JLO chapter a point since it looks like he's muscular instead of just metal plating with his body. Like he's wearing a body suit and has an actually body underneath.

No one has to justify their fandom to a damn soul. This thinly veiled "not a real fan" bullsh*t is childish. And it's ridiculous to think that just because someone recognizes that a character's potential isn't being met, and wants to talk about that, that they're not a fan at all. Go tell the people bitching in the Nightwing appreciation thread that they're not real fans, see where it gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I've always preferred the blue light opposed to the red light in his design. I feel it works better with the grey and silver of his metal parts. It may not be the best design but I'll give the way he's drawn in the latest JLO chapter a point since it looks like he's muscular instead of just metal plating with his body. Like he's wearing a body suit and has an actually body underneath.
    Im kinda torn. I agree that the light blue does go with the color scheme better, and the silver/black/blue palette isn't one we see *too* often. Far less than red/blue/any third color, anyway. But the red really does help his visual pop. And this is just me but the combination of red and blue lights can sorta-kinda evoke a bit of a cop vibe, and I've kinda liked the idea of Vic having federal backing of some kind ever since Flashpoint. Actually, in a way he already does doesn't he? STAR is a federally funded program (I think? Am I wrong there?) and although Vic is there for his own maintenance, he also basically works for them too, and that would require some kind of contract or agreement. Plus Vic doesn't have a day job, so his money had to come from somewhere.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I can only speak for myself but I'm not saying anyone is not a"real fan" . I am saying they are talking about something that has not been present in the character ever; along with comments telling people who have read all the content suggesting as being against the character and/or biased based on skin tone, will not get you very far.

It's one thing to like a character and want to support them in your own way and a whole other to know little about a character and then push/force your ideals of the character on to other fans who have time and monetary investment in the character being discussed.

The major difference being is that one fan took the time to get to know the character and will make suggestion from a standpoint of who the character is and how it fits into his/her previous narrative to grow. The other fan is making suggestions entirely on how they feel regardless if it potentially contradicts what the character is about or having any evidence of it working at all.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-13-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I can only speak for myself but I'm not saying anyone is not a"real fan" . I am saying they are talking about something that has not been present in the character ever; along with comments telling people who have read all the content suggesting as being against the character and/or biased based on skin tone, will not get you very far.
    Its never cool to play the race card unless it's actually, truly deserved. That's not something you just toss around.

Anyway, Ive seen a few people complain about the New God stuff, but that's been a part of Vic since 2011. It's been used and highlighted on a fairly regular basis ever since, and I feel like its natural that fans would want to see this new avenue opened up and explored more than DC has done. I for one consider it a great addition, it opens up a lot of doors. It's not about power levels or ignoring who Vic is as a character, it's just a new facet to add to what's already there. Much as the comments about taking some of the TTGO! personality traits largely seem to be people wanting to see more of what is already there; Vic has a sense of humor but it's often limited to his interactions with Beast Boy. Nothing wrong with wanting to see Vic smile more often. We're fans, we want to see the guy happy.

It's one thing to like a character and want to support them in your own way and a whole other to know little about a character and then push/force your ideals of the character on to other fans who have time and monetary investment in the character being discussed.
    Oh, I agree with you. I mean, if you like a character on a conceptual level but not what's actually printed, that's fine (I feel that way about Peter Parker, actually; love the idea of him, but the comics have never grabbed me). But recognize that you like the idea, not the actual character as he/she exists, yknow? But that's a blurred line too; there's degrees to how much one knows and how that influences their views, and arguing about that is a slippery slope. How much do you have to know about Vic's character to be able to suggest ways to develop him? Which parts/stories/moments are the most important? Just feels like a direction in the discussion that isn't going to serve anyone, yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.