Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That 'Gorr was right'

That's a matter of opinion
    Oh right, totally agree

Yeah it didn't ring true then it still doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Oh right, totally agree

Yeah it didn't ring true then it still doesn't
    It created a great meme/reaction imagetumblr_inline_p9tt43wNjd1vh4p9t_540.jpg though!

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    It created a great meme/reaction imagetumblr_inline_p9tt43wNjd1vh4p9t_540.jpg though!
    The funny thing about this is Aaron now would probably have just had Thor go "What did you say" with how he writes Asgardian dialogue these days .

Extraordinary Member

I loved the story of Thor breaking into exetar

Showed him as truly awesome, but still well outclassed

The reformation of mjolnir by the celestials as a mark of respect for Thor's bond with the weapon shows how truly wrong all this unworthy story has been about his relationship with it, including the idea for was right and even Thor being god of the unworthy

The celestials act in such matters even less than the watchers and are certainly on a par with their omniscience
    It was visually spectacular, but a bit incongruous stacked up against issue 300. I mean, your telling he WASN'T going all out after the Celestials had just killed Odin?

It also makes me think about the current Avengers run. Exetar was nothing like a biological organism inside. So what's the deal with the dead Celestial they now live in?

Oh, and in case ANYONE is still thinking the Celestials have not been downgraded since they kicked the crap out of the Odinpowered Destroyer - here's Exetar been blown to smithereens...

...by the INVISIBLE WOMAN!

images (8).jpg
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It was visually spectacular, but a bit incongruous stacked up against issue 300. I mean, your telling he WASN'T going all out after the Celestials had just killed Odin?

It also makes me think about the current Avengers run. Exetar was nothing like a biological organism inside. So what's the deal with the dead Celestial they now live in?

Oh, and in case ANYONE is still thinking the Celestials have not been downgraded since they kicked the crap out of the Odinpowered Destroyer - here's Exetar been blown to smithereens...

images (8).jpg
    Fair points

In all honesty I read the second story before the first, but I loved the range of attacks Thor uses against arishem and exetar

Don't forget the Fourth Host! I think he had Uni-Mind with him too. They prevented the end of humanity, but they couldn't scratch the Celestials

Which brings up a good point. Does anyone know the Cosmic Hierarchy?

I assume it's

TOAA
    (*Beyonders)
    Living Tribunal (multiversal)
    Eternity (multiversal)
    Other abstracts
    Celestials
    Galactus
    Watchers
    Elder Gods
    Odin
    Other pantheons' gods

There's probably a lot im not accounting for
    Pretty close estimation. Id only put a few disagreements in that list:

1. Beyonder's more than any other beings have fluxed in power level. From the singular Beyonder, to it being a race of Beyonders, to the Beyonder tribunal that was in Secret Wars that killed TLT, they are probably the most plot-convenient power in all of Marvel Comics. The ultimate McGuffin. That said, in their last big outing it took multiple Beyonders to take down TLT (simultaneously from multiple universes), so I would put them on abstract level when individually measured, though as a "force" they are always just as strong as they need to be. Full disclosure: I don't like them as they really just feel redundant to the Celestials (which fill that role that the titans fill in Greek mythology) and would really prefer they were forgotten.

2. Odin is no more powerful than the all fathers of other pantheons. IIRC, he's mentioned Zeus may even be more powerful then himself, but I don't remember where I read that from so I could be wrong. Elder Gods would be in that same ballpark (to the point where Odin himself may merely count as an elder god). They all may fight among each other from comic to comic on who's the most powerful ... but none of them rise to the abstracts who re clearly a level above.

3. Watchers are an odd case. They seem to be merely like eternals on one hand, have immense power like celestial on another, but are so passive by nature that ranking them is near impossible. I like to personally think of them as more eternal like, as it fits their concept better (some unknowable race watching the universe unfold), but I get why people would rank them higher.

Cool old-school power structure:

Newer Image that just shows the pantheon ... ranking isn't really set this time.

Oh and mandatory verbal annoyance that I think by and large most of the Marvel Pantheon is mishandled. Way too much focus on power levels, not nearly enough on sphere of influence and purpose in the universe (multiverse). I don't even like the _idea_ that something can fight The Living Tribunal. It goes against it's very concept of judge/juror of the Laws of the Universe. It should literally simply pass the verdict of "nope" and said conflict ends, but much like it was allowed to continue in the Infinity Gauntlet story, we can't really understand how/why he passes judgement. It's simply beyond our feeble minds.
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 07-15-2019 at 01:26 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

It should be noted that Tom DeFalco wrote Sue's powers as being specifically effective against Celestials because her father-in-law Nathaniel theorized that her force fields originate from the same hyperspace dimension from which the Celestials' armor derive from, and thus she can achieve the proper harmonic vibration that can shatter them.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Don't forget the Fourth Host! I think he had Uni-Mind with him too. They prevented the end of humanity, but they couldn't scratch the Celestials

Which brings up a good point. Does anyone know the Cosmic Hierarchy?

I assume it's

TOAA
    (*Beyonders)
    Living Tribunal (multiversal)
    Eternity (multiversal)
    Other abstracts
    Celestials
    Galactus
    Watchers
    Elder Gods
    Odin
    Other pantheons' gods

There's probably a lot im not accounting for
    It might have looked like that for some writers in previous years, but these days things are apparently pretty fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    2. Odin is no more powerful than the all fathers of other pantheons. IIRC, he's mentioned Zeus may even be more powerful then himself, but I don't remember where I read that from so I could be wrong. Elder Gods would be in that same ballpark (to the point where Odin himself may merely count as an elder god). They all may fight among each other from comic to comic on who's the most powerful ... but none of them rise to the abstracts who re clearly a level above.
    it's actually other way around.

it was stated that if they ever crossed blades, Olympus would lose the most.

Zeus has hype but has very weak feats.

at the end of the day, both of them are scrubs this days.
    Last edited by GodThor; 07-15-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

LOL at WotR; it couldn't crack the top 10 in June. Not even the final issue,#6!

lol at Event Leviathan. It was only ONE place above the WOTR issues. And that was issue 1, so it's only going to get worse. Marvel 1-0 DC.

WOTR itself might have sold low for an event, but it could be worse. And there is a silver lining - the event actually gave Squirrel Girl of all things a major boost - when did it last sell 10k for a single issue? Also, New Agents of Atlas #1, in it's second month, outsold issues 3 and 4, which tells me a lot of retailers underordered and had to order more copies (over 24k). Demand must've seriously outstripped supply there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    lol at Event Leviathan. It was only ONE place above the WOTR issues. And that was issue 1, so it's only going to get worse. Marvel 1-0 DC.
    Probably, but it is just a Bendis Superman spin-off mini. It isn't any more of an event as far as I can tell than Doomsday Clock, Heroes in Crisis or Batman Who Laughs (all of which are selling higher than WotR). Not that it should matter, there are very few 'events' that are going to demand enough attention to sell 100K for the entire series. A Thor spin-off was never going to be that and it is also ridiculous to knock it for not cracking something as arbitrary as the Top 10 (since Top 10 is too unpredictable depending on what gets huge spikes).

WOTR itself might have sold low for an event, but it could be worse. And there is a silver lining - the event actually gave Squirrel Girl of all things a major boost - when did it last sell 10k for a single issue? Also, New Agents of Atlas #1, in it's second month, outsold issues 3 and 4, which tells me a lot of retailers underordered and had to order more copies (over 24k). Demand must've seriously outstripped supply there.
    Well who would have guessed Squirrel Girl would end up being one of the highlights, and it does kind of preview a potential breakout character, at least in her new shape.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Astonishing Member

Leviathan isn't nearly as big a deal for DC, it's not even trying to be a huge company book crossover like wotr

It's not mentioned in any of my DC books, which total around fifteen a month

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Leviathan isn't nearly as big a deal for DC, it's not even trying to be a huge company book crossover like wotr

It's not mentioned in any of my DC books, which total around fifteen a month
    Yeah, it's a small event, if anything. WotR should be compared to Heroes in Crisis (which was terrible), Doomsday Clock (in a sense, because of the many delays) and even DCeased (not even in continuity!). All these are kicking its ass. And wasn't WotR sold as the biggest event Secret Wars, the one who would change the MU? It was. Really poor performance.