Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    And maybe the person who pitched for that miniseries simply didn't have a strong enough pitch and that person wouldn't have been hired, regardless of "Akira Yoishida".

Although I'm sure it's easier for these people to blame an "unfair advantage" rather than acknowledging that they may have missed writing assignments based on their own merits or lack thereof.

Pen name or no, it's ultimately the work that speaks for itself and that leads to getting gigs.
    You're missing one huge factor here: Cebulski was a talent scout at the time, which means a lot of those pitches were being given to him and then being given to Akira Yoshida. That is a HUGE conflict of interest and puts the whole merit thing into question.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    But the problem then it is not than Cebulski used an asian pen name then (he could had called himself Juanito Perez, fro what I cared). The problem is than he used his position to give himself a job. That is a whole different problem from a racial one.
    While we may never know who knew what, from what I have seen he wasn't ever the editor on any of his own books, so unless he was somehow recommending himself (i.e. Akira Yoshida) to others at Marvel, he didn't actually use his position to give himself work. Although he was circumventing a rule that was to prevent hiring as favors, it doesn't look like his hiring was actually of that nature.

That is if the story we've been given is not hiding things. This whole things has been covered up for years, unless someone else wants to come clean, the admission by Cebulski may be all we get. Apparently this story http://stuffsaidshow.com/stuff-said-...-been-changed/ is supposed to be the true story of all of this which everyone was still denying a few months ago.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    You're missing one huge factor here: Cebulski was a talent scout at the time, which means a lot of those pitches were being given to him and then being given to Akira Yoshida. That is a HUGE conflict of interest and puts the whole merit thing into question.
    Cebulski was still an editor I believe. He did not become a talent scout until 2007. I am not saying there is not some cover-up here, but any use of his position would most likely have had to require someone to be in on it with him.

BANNED

So how do you get paid using a pen name? Wouldn't the checks have to be in his name? Wouldn't someone in the accounting department say "hey we already have this bank account on file."

At least all that gave me the rare opportunity to read the names CBR and Brian Cronin quoted in an article of the French newspaper Le Monde. Amazing!

http://mobile.lemonde.fr/pixels/arti...6_4408996.html

I wonder if it will be published in the culture pages of the printed edition...

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    SHEESH! ! Talk about a 'grassy knoll' conspiracy. Someone is trying to make a fire using water vapor.
    One last time...there is NOTHING to see here. Move along.
    Jeez, where's a Jedi Master and his mind tricks when you need one??

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Indeed. Supposedly, his pitch for Age of Apocalypse was one of many. His ideas for Elektra: The Hand were put on a shelf for two years before Joe Q took a risk.
    Don't forget Thor: Son of Asgard.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Cebulski was still an editor I believe. He did not become a talent scout until 2007. I am not saying there is not some cover-up here, but any use of his position would most likely have had to require someone to be in on it with him.
    Yeah, I worded that wrong. What I meant is that he was in a position where he was aware of what was being pitched at editorial, which does raise some questions. And I wouldn't be surprised if someone else was involved at all. Mike Marts was his most frequent editor, and he SWEARS he had met and had lunch with the guy that never existed. Unless Cebulski managed to be pull some genius con act on him, there's definitely the possibility some co-workers were aware and let it slide. And if they were willing to help their colleague break the rules, then again, that also puts everything they did at that time into question, because clearly they didn't mind being dishonest.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 11-30-2017 at 01:58 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    SHEESH! ! Talk about a 'grassy knoll' conspiracy. Someone is trying to make a fire using water vapor.
    You can just stop posting in the Thread, thank you.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    This is a comic book forum. We have debates and flame wars over seemingly pointless things every other day. This is a subject people want to talk about, and its kind of annoying to have someone telling everyone to stop discussing something.

BANNED

Indeed.

Half the camp will have no problem with what he did, the other half will. As someone who personally always been sort of disgusted with the work ethic of someone like Bob Kane and the embarassing easy way outs of someone like Greg Land, this sorf of things kind of irks me. he could have easily pitched stories to other publishers instead of trying to create a loophole on a workplace he already had a role/job at. Pitch somewhere else or resign the Editor chair and be the writer you want to be. Meh.

The borrowing story pitches rumor tho, that I have serious issues with.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    Indeed.

Half the camp will have no problem with what he did, the other half will. As someone who personally always been sort of disgusted with the work ethic of someone like Bob Kane and the embarassing easy way outs of someone like Greg Land, this sorf of things kind of irks me. he could have easily pitched stories to other publishers instead of trying to create a loophole on a workplace he already had a role/job at. Pitch somewhere else or resign the Editor chair and be the writer you want to be. Meh.

The borrowing story pitches rumor tho, that I have serious issues with.
    That puts a different aspect to the story that would be borderline plagiaristic. Depends on how detailed the pitch was one would think.

He did do a story for Dark Horse also. Even if you steal a pitch you still have a whole issue or mini series to write. I have no idea what went on behind the scenes but I find it a little unrealistic that they paid someone not knowing who his real name was in the payroll office. This had to be during Joe Q's tenure. Maybe Jemas was still around too. I suspect since junior editors don't get paid much it was one way to provide some extra income. NYC is a pretty expensive place to live if you're a staffer in the office.

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    This is a comic book forum. We have debates and flame wars over seemingly pointless things every other day. This is a subject people want to talk about, and its kind of annoying to have someone telling everyone to stop discussing something.
    Yeah, I know. I just like tweaking the nose of the bear sometimes. With the way the world is these days, I gotta find my fun somewhere. You don't have to stop discussing, of course, I wouldn't want you to. But I like to chime in every once and a while. I mean no harm, but I do like to amuse myself every once in a while. Be cool, folks, I'm not trying to troll you, just attempting to point out the circles in the sand from time to time.
    Excelsior! ...as Stan would say.

Old guys want to have fun too. Been a fan for half a century and try not to take myself too seriously. Peace.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    So how do you get paid using a pen name? Wouldn't the checks have to be in his name? Wouldn't someone in the accounting department say "hey we already have this bank account on file."
    Exactly. Surprised this hasn't come up because unless they paid him cash in an envelope (which hasn't been done in years in big companies) they have to have your SSN for taxes and whatnot. One of the first jobs I had still had a payroll window where you got your cash out of the till plus your payroll statement

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Don't forget Thor: Son of Asgard.
    I have that run, and remember it fondly.

I did find it unusual that a Japanese writer would have a Thor story in mind, of all things.