Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [spoilers] Immortal Hulk #11

Another great issue in what is probably the best series Marvel is producing right now (and has produced since Secret Wars at the very least). The issue is deeply philosopycal and makes deep references to the Qabalah. Describing things in detail would be too complex and would not do the story justice. Here's the bare bones of what happens.

spoilers:
    The Hulk and Mc Gee are in Hell where they meet shells of the people they knew and cared for (one way or another). First one is Rick Jones, then McGee's father. And Thunderbolt Ross... who turns into Red Hulk and attacks the Hulk, who in turn gets enraged and dismembers his foe losing all control. Meanwhile, high above the wastelands, surrounded by green light stands Banner's father and near him... is Bruce Banner himself! Seems like the Hulk was some sort of shell for Banner after all (and "shell" here is just the translation for Qlippoth from qabalistic tradition)
    end of spoilers

There's another thing I enjoyed immensely though...

spoilers:
    Puck wins the issue hands down! Kudos to Ewing for studying his history as a character and displaying continuity mastery!
    end of spoilers

It was good, for the most part, but this was good for the most part. Excited to see the fallout from this.

It was nice seeing Rulk again. Just a shame it was only a hollow wraith that seemed incapable of actual thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It was nice seeing Rulk again. Just a shame it was only a hollow wraith that seemed incapable of actual thought.
    I'm not sure he was REALLY Thunderbolt Ross-Red Hulk. It's true the general seems to have been killed in the current Captain America series but the whole scene seems like an illusion of sorts to me, especially considering Rick Jones is only capable of repeating quotes from his previous life. I guess these "shells" are not really the people they used to be, just a pale refelction or a "husk" of what they really were. Seems to me the point Ewing is trying to make is these creatures lack a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    I'm not sure he was REALLY Thunderbolt Ross-Red Hulk. It's true the general seems to have been killed in the current Captain America series but the whole scene seems like an illusion of sorts to me, especially considering Rick Jones is only capable of repeating quotes from his previous life. I guess these "shells" are not really the people they used to be, just a pale refelction or a "husk" of what they really were. Seems to me the point Ewing is trying to make is these creatures lack a soul.
    My theory is that the One Below All has a claim on everyone that has ever become a Hulk, which is represented by these husks.

BANNED

The "husks" were basically repeating lines from old hulk comics. They weren't really there tbh

Untitled.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    The "husks" were basically repeating lines from old hulk comics. They weren't really there tbh

Untitled.jpg
    This is even mentioned in the comic itself. They are some sort of "echo" or "stereotype", not real people. They lack a soul, what makes a person who he or she really is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    My theory is that the One Below All has a claim on everyone that has ever become a Hulk, which is represented by these husks.
    Rick Jones seemed to be able to react to what was going on, though and make certain observations. And he/it had McGee's dad there, who had never been a Hulk.

I think that it is the real Rick Jones, but a small reflection thereof. The One Below All seems to a reflection of a greater reality, and likely has smaller aspects of everyone in it.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Another, of many, amazing review:

http://www.comicon.com/2019/01/06/ew...ortal-hulk-11/

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    The praise is well deserved. This really is the best Marvel series out at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post

There's another thing I enjoyed immensely though...

spoilers:
    Puck wins the issue hands down! Kudos to Ewing for studying his history as a character and displaying continuity mastery!
    end of spoilers
    Agreed that along with everything else that this comic gets right, it's the use of Puck and Sasquatch that just make it even more special.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Rick Jones seemed to be able to react to what was going on, though and make certain observations. And he/it had McGee's dad there, who had never been a Hulk.

I think that it is the real Rick Jones, but a small reflection thereof. The One Below All seems to a reflection of a greater reality, and likely has smaller aspects of everyone in it.
    Since Rick Jones is actually dead, that might be him.

McGee could have gone to Hell the old fashioned way.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Since Rick Jones is actually dead, that might be him.

McGee could have gone to Hell the old fashioned way.
    I think that unlikely. His daughter said that he worked himself to death.

Perhaps these husks are the evil from the respective people? The good is carried up, and their evil is placed below.

I usually trade wait on this book (not a huge fan of the Hulk, but In Ewing We Trust), but this issue got recommended for having a particularly good scene with Puck. And yeah, that was right on the money. Ewing got the essence of Puck just right - not a joke, not a self-pitying sad sack, but the larger-than-life badass adventurer in an unlikely package that made him such an interesting character to start with. If more writers could remember to do this with Alpha Flight, as opposed to making Canuck jokes, maybe that team could support a book.

I also really liked McGee and the Hulk quasi-bonding over her expression of rage, and it's been annoying how many remarks I've seen about Ewing "virtue signaling" because of that scene. FFS, this is a horror book with the Hulk at the center of it. Showing us the shape of McGee's rage and knowing she'd *still* go gamma despite her listing the Hulk's litany of destruction? I'd lay odds this is foreshadowing of things going badly.

TBH, this was another incredible issue. This team is killing it!