Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Disappointed that Bendis kept the terrible Zeus's granddaughter origin for Cassie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Disappointed that Bendis kept the terrible Zeus's granddaughter origin for Cassie.
    I liked that origin, it was the least problematic thing about Cassie during that entire run.

I don't see what's so different about granddaughter over daughter. The meat of her origin is her relationship with her mother anyway. A connection to Zeus matters, but only in the general sense of providing a connection to Diana, and a reason for her powers. Her being his granddaughter does the exact same things so to me the change is pretty incidental. If anything it adds the possibility of giving her a father who's more of a three dimensional character as DC's Zeus has always been rather boring.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-09-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't see what's so different about granddaughter over daughter. The meat of her origin is her relationship with her mother anyway. A connection to Zeus matters, but granddaughter over daughter to me is pretty incidental. If anything it adds the possibility of giving her a father who's more of a three dimensional character as DC's Zeus has always been rather boring.
    Connecting any of Wonder Women to Zeus is very uninspired and boring. Every time I see it I'm reminded of the issue Wonder Woman where she was on a a film set that was making a Wonder Woman movie in-universe. They did that origin for the movie and Diana talked about how dumb it was.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

This was really quite good. Mostly just one big action sequence, but it was colorful, vibrant and fun. Nary a trace of grim or dark, save perhaps from the Gemworld crowd.

Also, Bendis gets Impulse. Bart steals the issue. Love the artistic choices they made for him, loved the voice Bendis gives him.

"This is so totally happening!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    It doesn't really matter if someone cared or not about previous continuity (I personally hated Bar-Torr) but that history should still be addressed somehow.
    Feature, not a bug. Let's wash the awful taste of everything New 52 out of everybody's mouth with these characters, and make them fun again. Remind everyone a book like Young Justice should feel like. Then we can go back and tie into old continuity that is honestly better left forgotten.

I honestly believe this wasn't just the best way to go, it was absolutely the right way to go for this first issue. Just ignore all the dreadful false starts and post-Flashpoint missteps and dive back in with the characters as they should be. It makes it accessible to new readers (one of the big points of emphasis for Wonder Comics as an imprint is to try and appeal to teens and younger readers again). And it keeps things from bogging down in minutiae.

Hell, I may be in the minority, but I'm happy if they never go back and explain anything. I'll gladly ignore everything New 52 to present if I can get a book this much fun every month featuring my favorite four DC characters of all time.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 01-09-2019 at 05:14 PM.

BANNED

Pretty great stuff. Every YJ character was on point and the way Bendis writes teenagers is great.
    I didnt like how the gemworld dudes spoke, it felt off, but thats something im willing to live with.

The art was great and it was everything i could possibly want from a first issue. Answers will eventually come, exposition can wait.

I guess I enjoyed it? The novelty of seeing the team together combined with the stellar art made the issue a no-brainer. However, for an issue where so much seemed to happen, not a lot happened. It was a noisy issue -- best way I can think of to describe it. Hope we don't have to wait long before Bendis gives us some legit story to hold onto, because the novelty of seeing this team back will only get him a pass for another issue or two. I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with this decompressed style of storytelling happening in comics. I get that everything is double shipping, so time between issues isn't as much, but I hate spending five bucks on a comic which can be summarized in two sentences. Fortunately, the art is so pretty.

I think there already is a legit story. It was more hinted at, as opposed to taking the forefront just yet, but it was there. The pomp and circumstance of the reunion just overshadowed it, certainly by design. That story being how the Crises have affected other realms of reality outside of Earth and the consequences of that. That at least appears to be the early hook.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Read it. It was pretty average. There was no story at all. Villain shows up, the kids show up and then they fight. The end. They should have released one-shots for these characters prior to Young Justice. This will probably be the first and last issue i buy. I'll stick to Champions and Adam Glass' Teen Titans, books that actually have something going on with them other than nostalgia and fun. Enjoy.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Read it. It was pretty average. There was no story at all. Villain shows up, the kids show up and then they fight. The end. They should have released one-shots for these characters prior to Young Justice. This will probably be the first and last issue i buy. I'll stick to Champions and Adam Glass' Teen Titans, books that actually have something going on with them other than nostalgia and fun. Enjoy.
    Seven reality and history altering events have changed the evolution of the Earth, and are apparently affecting even worlds that are connected to Earth. Some of those worlds don't take kindly to being messed with.

Sounds like the beginnings of a story to me.

Also, this first issue looks like it was intentionally constructed to focus much more heavily on tone and the characters (their reunion/assembly) rather than any kind of larger plot. With characters that have been as badly handled as the YJ4 since Flashpoint, that is an acceptable compromise. Also, given that part of the directive of this Wonder Comics imprint is to try and interest younger and teen readers, it isn't surprising that tone would be at the forefront of the pitch. "These are fun!" in the form of words and pictures.

But to each their own. I loved the issue, even more on second read. I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited by a Bendis book. Or hell, a DC Comics book. I'm biased as hell, the YJ4 are my favorite DC characters of all time. But this reminded me of reading Rainbow Rowell's first issue on Runaways over at Marvel. That sense that this creative team just plain GETS these characters, and has passion for them and we're about to be in for something special.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Seven reality and history altering events have changed the evolution of the Earth, and are apparently affecting even worlds that are connected to Earth. Some of those worlds don't take kindly to being messed with.

Also, this first issue looks like it was intentionally constructed to focus much more heavily on tone and the characters (their reunion/assembly) rather than any kind of larger plot. With characters that have been as badly handled as the YJ4 since Flashpoint, that is an acceptable compromise. Also, given that part of the directive of this Wonder Comics imprint is to try and interest younger and teen readers, it isn't surprising that tone would be at the forefront of the pitch. "These are fun!" in the form of words and pictures.

But to each their own. I loved the issue, even more on second read. I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited by a Bendis book. Or hell, a DC Comics book. I'm biased as hell, the YJ4 are my favorite DC characters of all time. But this reminded me of reading Rainbow Rowell's first issue on Runaways over at Marvel. That sense that this creative team just plain GETS these characters, and has passion for them and we're about to be in for something special.
    Yeah it's only the first issue. Beginning arcs are the deal breakers for me.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I guess it would've been kind of weird to have Diana and Cassie as half-sisters, but then again it's not like Donna is in any way shape or form Diana's sister at the moment either...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

Comics cost money. If a first issue does nothing to engage me then i have no choice but to move on.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

That's more than fair. I think it was just being pointed out, and accurately, that there is a story being created. The bulk of the issue was excitable fighting, but the foundation for the actual plot was laid. Again, more than fair if that nugget as it were wasn't enough to grab to you and make you want to move forward, but I don't feel it accurate to say there was no story at all. Is it going to be decompressed? Looks like it could be. And I could understand that being a deal breaker as well. But there's a story being created here nonetheless is all.

Astonishing Member

Yeah while there's a story being built here it's almost the exact story every book out there's been publishing since Rebirth started. Gasp something's changed our reality!

So it comes off less as a plot point it's meant to be and more of all the same.

I'm extremely worried for this story/book because it's apparently entirely resting on nostalgia with no apparent story of its own based on this issue.

Gotta say Teen Lantern wasn't even a presence in this issue despite technically being introduced here. So that's something.