Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I always somewhat empathized with the Morlocks.

Telling a 50 tentacled sewer dweller that they should be proud of their mutation as a literal weather goddess that's most likely one of the top 5 most beautiful people on the planet is a bit OD...

I mean look at qwerty for God's sake.
    Absolutely!

There’s so much story potential on Krakoa for addressing things like this.
    If you’re a 50 tentacled sewer dweller and fancy setting up a swanky pad on the moon with your besties, what’s the chance of Chuck or Krakoa saying yes?

Storm was able to resist and override a collar, right?

This is the same thing as TP-shields. They exist otherwise stories would be boring (Iceman could have honestly solo-ed all of Russia). A single telepath could win any fight alone w/o this kind of stuff.

A fun thing would be understanding how this stuff works. Like a chart that explains the tech behind power dampening. Is it psionic? How does it work? Because with that there could be ways to overcome the problem (much like Emma breaching through O.N.E telepathic defenses by finding flaws in it).

Also, mutants with powers over tech or metal or mutants like Kitty could make short work of this kind of tech. And Iceman and Storm could have still defeated that Russian guy without Kitty's help honestly. Ororo could have short-circuited that armor at safe distance, but what fun is there in that lol?

Lastly, in Valiant they have inhibiting tech and I think that jt adds a lot of stakes to their missions against humans.

They never made sense to me. What exactly is inhibiting a mutants power. Now if it was a psionic mutant I can imagine it's sort of confusing their brain or messing with there mind somehow to limit active use of their power but in general it makes no sense to me. I don't understand the fictional science about it. Even watching tas as a kid I couldn't figure it out.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Storm was able to resist and override a collar, right?

This is the same thing as TP-shields. They exist otherwise stories would be boring (Iceman could have honestly solo-ed all of Russia). A single telepath could win any fight alone w/o this kind of stuff.

A fun thing would be understanding how this stuff works. Like a chart that explains the tech behind power dampening. Is it psionic? How does it work? Because with that there could be ways to overcome the problem (much like Emma breaching through O.N.E telepathic defenses by finding flaws in it).

Also, mutants with powers over tech or metal or mutants like Kitty could make short work of this kind of tech. And Iceman and Storm could have still defeated that Russian guy without Kitty's help honestly. Ororo could have short-circuited that armor at safe distance, but what fun is there in that lol?

Lastly, in Valiant they have inhibiting tech and I think that jt adds a lot of stakes to their missions against humans.
    I have to give credit to the writer here. He specially had storm say the armor was converting energy so her not knowing that in advance all her lightning did was power it up but she did try to take it out from a far. I just wish I knew how the tech worked too.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelman View Post
    I have a problem with this kind of technology existing in the Marvel Universe. If it is that easy to take away a mutant's powers then why would mutants be considered such a threat? Why isn't every single Nimrod, sentinel, soldier, or cop equipped with this technology? Chris Claremont introduced inhibitor collars during the Dark Phoenix saga (I think) but he really let the genie out of the bottle with this one.
    Yes, I’ve said this for a long time. It makes Sentinels pointless and stupid.

A villain with a power dampener is a cheap writing shortcut.

The Avengers trapped the X-kids with them during their captivity in AvX, so I doubt they’re radioactive or long-term damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Really? Then why was Rogue risking deliberately using one? She was using it so she can touch and kiss Gambit without absorbing his powers and psyche, but is it worth it if it can harm her?
    Iin the issues rogue specifically said it was giving her headaches and painful to wear that's what she only wore it when she was getting intimate with Gambit but when her new power went out of control she was forced to use it until spiral showed her how to control her power
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    At least they had a reason at some point, I mean that is better than nothing.

Isn't there a logic way to implement a system that doesn't offend mutants and understand that some mutants need a little help control their powers or manage output of their power. I mean instead of collar how about a power dampening fitbit watch. And instead of every mutant how about the mutants who can't control their powers. I mean mutants can't be ignorant to fact that some mutants need help I mean the X-men with Cyclops they create visor, With Surge they created gauntlets, When Rogue and Gambit wanted to consummate their marriage she was given a dampener. It is not logical that mutants themselves wouldn't the technology fine tuned and in use because young mutants learning to control their powers and mutants like Chamber and Cyclops would also have need for it.

I don't see why a country like United states wouldn't have a law that say class Alpha and above and mutants who can't control their powers need a power dampener with in city areas and high population area. And the dampener wouldn't shut of their powers but lower it to safer level. Of course they are obvious holes in suggest like who controls the dampener and restriction of someone personal freedom as just a couple questions that would need to be fined tuned. Comics stories have told us power dampeners and mutant registration are these bad things but what if they weren't implemented in most dickish way possible and the government was somewhat trustworthy. I think a realistic world would middle ground between letting Franklin Richards running around unchecked and every mutant has to have collar. But as I mentioned before at lot thing happen for more exciting stories and old comic tradition.
    If I'm a mutant whether I can control my powers or not nobody is putting a dog collar on me. Especially one we have seen people.can wire to blow off a mutants head. I still don't get the level of human fear of mutants in the mui when humans are super scientist and can get kree tech and any other thing they want to get their hands on to create mass destruction. I wonder what the super weapon and tech laws are in the mu.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

I also wonder has any mutant tried to fight via the second amendment right? Like I have a right to defend myself and my powers give me a natural way of doing that. Sort of like the right to bare arms. Well your power could be seen as your gun in a way. Or why don't mutants move to stand your ground states. That could be interesting. Maybe that's what people really fear a mutant in Florida being like they attacked me so I stood my ground
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I also wonder has any mutant tried to fight via the second amendment right? Like I have a right to defend myself and my powers give me a natural way of doing that. Sort of like the right to bare arms. Well your power could be seen as your gun in a way. Or why don't mutants move to stand your ground states. That could be interesting. Maybe that's what people really fear a mutant in Florida being like they attacked me so I stood my ground
    They passed the Mutant Registration Act which gave the authorities broad powers to detain mutants who were not compliant with the rules of registration. It truthfully made mutants 2nd class citizens in the United States permanently.

You go to apply for a job or housing, they can check the mutant registry and see if you are a mutant, then deny you things.

This kind of stuff happens all the time in the world now, without mutants, just straight out racism toward minorities, that's why it's really not so surprising how the racism against mutants has escalated over the years.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    They passed the Mutant Registration Act which gave the authorities broad powers to detain mutants who were not compliant with the rules of registration. It truthfully made mutants 2nd class citizens in the United States permanently.

You go to apply for a job or housing, they can check the mutant registry and see if you are a mutant, then deny you things.

This kind of stuff happens all the time in the world now, without mutants, just straight out racism toward minorities, that's why it's really not so surprising how the racism against mutants has escalated over the years.
    Exacy but people don't even want to be forced to register their guns. Where is the NRA for mutant rights.

One thing I noticed today I am thankful for with this story is some people are truly having to understand what people mean by showing supremacy. Like with all lives etc. Much how they are seeing what they think are the hints of supremacy based on things they feel mutants are saying and doing, that's how alot of minorities and gay people feel in real life when they hear "well not everybody." Or all sides are responsible. But then those do nothing to actually protect the other but speak up when they feel it effects the establishment
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

If I'm a mutant whether I can control my powers or not nobody is putting a dog collar on me. .
    That's the fiction we have been sold Like I said it does have to be a collar it could be a watch or something. The fiction has train fans to hate the thought of a device that can control powers well except Cyclops and Surge then it is perfectly fine. Anyways it doesn't make sense that mutants wouldn't embrace a device that would help young mutants control their powers. As long as it isn't completely forced it would be accepted imo

This is one of the shakiest part of the fiction imo. There is no way the US doesn't have rules for powers. I think they can be logical rules to protect mutant rights and everyone's general safety. I could easily see mutants being tested for control over their power like a driver's license. And once you passed the test you can use your powers for commercial use. I can easily also see a 28 amendment that gives mutants and superhumans the power to freely use their powers as long as it is done safely. I don't think the government has to be completely the enemy in these stories.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-27-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That's the fiction we have been sold Like I said it does have to be a collar it could be a watch or something. The fiction has train fans to hate the thought of a device that can control powers well except Cyclops and Surge then it is perfectly fine. Anyways it doesn't make sense that mutants wouldn't embrace a device that would help young mutants control their powers. As long as it isn't completely forced it would be accepted imo

This is one of the shakiest part of the fiction imo. There is no way the US doesn't have rules for powers. I think they can be logical rules to protect mutant rights and everyone's general safety. I could easily see mutants being tested for control over their power like a driver's license. And once you passed the test you can use your powers for commercial use. I can easily also see a 28 amendment that gives mutants and superhumans the power to freely use their powers as long as it is done safely. I don't think the government has to be completely the enemy in these stories.
    It makes sense to me. It doesn't have to be a collar I don't want the government putting anything on me that can be used to track me, blow me up remotely, or be hacked into by haters for some nerfarious reason. It's a slippery slope, first we collar or watch the mutants them we chip the humans all in the name of safety. I'm going to have to ask old magneto to come back on that day cause we going to war. Lol not being forced to wear it does change the convo but it doesn't change the potential implications.

The us doesnt have great rules in place to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally unhealthy so I believe it. In a world where humans have access to all this tech Reed and others leave laying around the average human is more dangerous than the average mutant
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Power-dampers should be the equivalent of taking immunosuppressants. It may be necessary for a medical condition but in the long term they are harmful.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Power-dampers should be the equivalent of taking immunosuppressants. It may be necessary for a medical condition but in the long term they are harmful.
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. Looking at it from a developmental standpoint, the fact that mutant powers kick in generally at puberty one could make the argument a collar could stunt a mutants growth as you are dampening their physiological development.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Looking at it from a developmental standpoint, the fact that mutant powers kick in generally at puberty one could make the argument a collar could stunt a mutants growth as you are dampening their physiological development.
    I see that the power of a mutant is the natural state of their physiology. If their powers begin to be out of control, like Rogue, it would be the equivalent of an autoimmune disease and suppressing them might be necessary, but as in autoimmune diseases, long-term suppression has consequences for the organism.

Suppressing the powers of a healthy mutant in the long term is probably a very bad idea, just like Scott, if he has not released his optic blast for a long time, he has migraines.