Page 44 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Fun thought. Lorna was going for a Masters in Geophysics degree. We’ve all known this for a while.

Up til now, talk’s mostly been about use of it and acknowledging that it shows intelligence. But what we haven’t talked about is how she got to that point.

If she went for a Masters, then either she got a bachelors in something at some point, or she was so exceptional that she didn’t need one. So where did she go to get her bachelors (or her masters for that matter)? What did she study in for her bachelors? What was her life like as she pursued that bachelors?

Lots of possible stories in that.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Fun thought. Lorna was going for a Masters in Geophysics degree. We’ve all known this for a while.

Up til now, talk’s mostly been about use of it and acknowledging that it shows intelligence. But what we haven’t talked about is how she got to that point.

If she went for a Masters, then either she got a bachelors in something at some point, or she was so exceptional that she didn’t need one. So where did she go to get her bachelors (or her masters for that matter)? What did she study in for her bachelors? What was her life like as she pursued that bachelors?

Lots of possible stories in that.
    In House of M? She grew up in California, right? Maybe she went to UCLA or SDSU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The Gifted writers let those actors and all that worked on the crew down so very hard in season 2. Another season was possible on Hulu as The Orville managed. They straight up shot Lorna's character in the head over and over again in the season. Emma was their breakout star and she was demoted not to a co-team leader, but a useless overly emotional mom/foot soldier to a new character. Then she was turned into the world's most cowardly traitor ever. The only way the show deserved a season 2 was if they fired their whole writing staff. But, one doesn't fix a ratings collapse and end worse then the Inhumans did.

Season 1 Lorna and Emma Dumont's depiction will live on though and did a lot of good for the character.

The lessons from The Gifted will also live on as something fans should always push back against when Lorna has an upcoming comic appearance.

Never accept her as anything less a joint leader or if its Magneto his right hand and actual partner. I say actual partner because Bunn's version of it was Magneto interacts and debates with Xorn, Briar, Jimmy and even teen Jean. But, when it comes to Lorna there was no real partnership. Its not at all that she blindly followed him. Its that her focus was completely narrow and she really wasn't part of the discussions philosophical or tactical. Her focus was on saving her ex and building a friendly relationship with dad and that was it.

I do see the potential for Lorna on a revolving cast of the X-Men under Hickman, but there are some issues. As others said the last page she hasn't had an edge in a long time and that was completely the case over the past few major appearances in the 616 with her. What happens AU as in Prisoner of X is irrelevant in that regard other then to show there is more fan interest in the Lorna who is willing to use her powers without compunction against foes then the reverse. In the same way season one of The Gifted got people talking around the whole world about her including millions from China.... mother hen Lorna of season 2 was an abject failure to generate discussion and interest in Lorna.

If Lorna is on a rotating cast with Mags I see the potential for her to start to build up relationships with the core X-Men that others might look to and she can do something with. If they go with the powerful x-families in conflict and at times cooperation with each other route it could do good. Lorna would have to have a different relationship with Magneto then we have seen to date though. More something akin to what we saw in the House of M miniseries then anything from the 616 done in the past.
    Well there was the issue where he gave more power than all of them...he basically told her he needs her to keep him in line and challenge him. He didnt give that same respect to Elizabeth or Teen Jean. Briar nudged him on but she liked the villainous means to success.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Well there was the issue where he gave more power than all of them...he basically told her he needs her to keep him in line and challenge him. He didnt give that same respect to Elizabeth or Teen Jean. Briar nudged him on but she liked the villainous means to success.
    I am not saying he didn't respect her. I am saying their interaction wasn't a true back and forth partnership. They didn't debate strategy or philosophy. She didn't even really advise him one way or the other in regards to his big decisions such as to kill the Future Brotherhood and to go after Emma and the Hellfire Club after Cry Havok. She was always absent when he was debating doing anything that old Charles Xavier wouldn't have done including in Cry Havok when he was debating to Jimmy and Briar if a harder approach was needed.

I was leery about the whole 'watch/advise me' storyline from the start because after Last Days I didn't think Bunn fully understood Lorna post Genosha worldview and saw the character too much through the lens of the 80s and 90s version. It didn't matter in the end, because for Magneto's questionable decisions she was absent.

A real partnership between Lorna and Magneto is where they debate what should be done and how. One never saw this play out other then in the House of M side comics. In order to have it you need Lorna with a strong voice and a clear set of philosophical views based on her history which typically she isn't given.

Right now Hickman seems to want to catapult Magneto back to something akin to his 1990s profile as one of the Marvel universes biggest characters. How that plays out is up in the air, but don't be surprised if he doesn't have his own faction that develops. I hope the core to that is the HoM we saw hinted at in HoX. In terms of Lorna it could be good for her as long as they don't make key mistakes we saw in her Genosha arc, Blue or even WATXM of divorcing her from the debate about the big questions.

If she is around as green haired scenery or 'the voice of reason' until the moment comes where Magneto crosses 'a line' and Lorna turns him then its a mere repetition of a storyline we have seen with Lorna done several times and will add nothing long term to Lorna. If she is a core actor in the decision making process as we saw in House of M now that would be very different and quite helpful to the character.

Lorna has a rich history as a character for any writer to mine, but I am firm in my belief she first needs an epic critically acclaimed storyline that places the eyes of a good segment of fandom upon her then a focus on the small aspects of her history and life. But, before any epic storyline she needs a solid voice and set of views. I have a great idea for a Lorna storyline that would be up there with the Phoenix Saga for Jean, but it would require the character to subvert expectations big time.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-01-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Last edited by juan678; 09-02-2019 at 04:03 AM.

Last edited by juan678; 09-02-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Last edited by juan678; 09-02-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

love this look
    we can be heroes, just for one day