Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Why is the One Moment in Time story arc from Amazing Spider-Man being ignored ?
    That story had the OMD story being retconed out of continuity,thus making all those complains about OMD a moot point.
    Just saying.
    Well, Spider-Man and MJ are still not married like they were pre 2007 ASM. It's literally the same difference. The lack of the marriage is the reason some of us have no use for current ASM. That's the epicenter for the complaints. The exacts of how we got there are beside the point.

Besides, I thought that the reaction to OMIT was basically as follows:

20d752.jpg
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Because OMIT is complete trash. It exists to try to explain the continuity changes of another story. And does an abysmal job of it.
    does the quality of a story have a bearing on its canonicity?

i mean, i thought the osbourne journal's and clone conspiracy's explanation of ben reilly's death were more than underwhelming, but they're still taken into account as far s marvel is concerned.

or are we talking head canon here? or has marvel shamefully buried omit ?
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Because OMIT is complete trash. It exists to try to explain the continuity changes of another story. And does an abysmal job of it.
    OMIT is a storyline that explains the changes done in the continuity and at the same time it retcons the OMD story out of continuity.
    Because OMIT estabilish that it was not Mephisto that saved Aunt May,how Spider-Man identity got to be a secret again without that having nothing to do with Mephisto and so on.
    So is interesting to see this story many times ignored in discussions about OMD.
    OMIT is a good story to anybody that disliked OMD,but ironically enough gets ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    speaking of socio political times and moves, i wonder how TPB would be received if it were released today? robyn wright did everything she could with buttercup...
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    OMIT is a storyline that explains the changes done in the continuity and at the same time it retcons the OMD story out of continuity.
    Because OMIT estabilish that it was not Mephisto that saved Aunt May,how Spider-Man identity got to be a secret again without that having nothing to do with Mephisto and so on.
    So is interesting to see this story many times ignored in discussions about OMD.
    OMIT is a good story to anybody that disliked OMD,but ironically enough gets ignored.
    OMIT is not a good story. It has no merits on its own. It exists to try to clean up the continuity of OMD, and does a horrible job of it.

Why were all the super geniuses unable to save Aunt May in OMD? Characters like Reed Richards, Black Panther, Dr. Doom. Dr. Doom, who has made it his business to do things JUST to prove he can when Reed Richards can not. This isn't some obscure bit of trivia. This is literally this very important character's primary motivation. This character, who built a working time machine, couldn't save Aunt May.

But Peter pounds on her chest a couple of times and Aunt May's on the road to recovery.

I call bullcrap.

Why were all the super geniuses unable to save Aunt May in OMD? Characters like Reed Richards, Black Panther, Dr. Doom. Dr. Doom, who has made it his business to do things JUST to prove he can when Reed Richards can not. This isn't some obscure bit of trivia. This is literally this very important character's primary motivation. This character, who built a working time machine, couldn't save Aunt May.

But Peter pounds on her chest a couple of times and Aunt May's on the road to recovery.

I call bullcrap.
    OMIT may be a poor story (i just read the wikipedia summary and it sounds like the usual superhero silliness), but i don't know if that's a critique unique to it.

in reality, most problems in the marvel universe should be solvable considering that there are literal gods, time travel, super powers, magic and technology that can do anything freely available. why anyone in that universe is dying at all is beyond me.

but then, we'd never get conflict or stories. so yeah, the x-men have to face the brood all on their own again because the avengers are on holiday and the silver surfer got a new phone and keeps replying to their text messages with "nu phone who dis".

that's the nature of these stories

happy to hear what else makes OMIT crap though
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well, Spider-Man and MJ are still not married like they were pre 2007 ASM. It's literally the same difference. The lack of the marriage is the reason some of us have no use for current ASM. That's the epicenter for the complaints. The exacts of how we got there are beside the point.
    I find it silly that some readers just like Spider-Man stories with him being married with Mary Jane.
    So i can not relate to that.
    And is disapointing to see some readers think that one of the best super heroes ever created can just have stories with him being married.
    Is like saying that SuperMan stories can only be good with him married to Lois Lane.But i digress.
    The marriage of Peter and MJ was something that was in the stories for twenty years,more that enough time to a status quo be explored in the stories but this does not mean that from now on there can be only good stories with a married Spider-Man.
    So as a reader Marvel not leting their characters get boring as when they made Peter to be single again is why i keep on Reading the Spider-Man stories.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    contemporary is mainstream dude
    Oh oops. Long Friday, I meant to focus on the "cutting edge" part. It's not "cutting edge". Stan just moves on with the times, making him more adaptable and better at what he does. Also, telling that that's all you replied to in that post and not about how a personal opinion on a representational fictional character is affected by personal opinions of real life characters. There are exceptions of course, but eh, Wolfman's statements aren't particularly deep.

first of all, have we ever spoken before?

second, no offence taken! it’s just interesting that your instinct is to take it to the personal

third, other than stating that the quote was hard to disseminate the fan from pro...feel free to point out where i spoke about it?

i’ll brew a coffee and wait
    Oh stop being so disingenuous. What's to disseminate the "professional" from the "personal" regarding "So and so fictional female character is just an occasional girlfriend type just coz I know as I read 60's comics"?

And I didn't take it to the personal. You claimed you were a considerer of socio-political elements, a part of your discerning/art critique skill set, multiple times but in replies to me as well (it's irrelevant whether or not you remember it and I don't expect you to anyway). I just pointed out you weren't using those aspects in your skill set while critiquing Wolfman's opinion or Kevinroc's perspective towards Wolfman's opinion. That's all. You were the one to immediately exclaim about me coming for your "SJW card". Get over yourself.

Astonishing Member

does the quality of a story have a bearing on its canonicity?

i mean, i thought the osbourne journal's and clone conspiracy's explanation of ben reilly's death were more than underwhelming, but they're still taken into account as far s marvel is concerned.

or are we talking head canon here? or has marvel shamefully buried omit ?
    Nope,the quality of a story have no bearing on its canonicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Oh oops. Long Friday, I meant to focus on the "cutting edge" part. It's not "cutting edge". Stan just moves on with the times, making him more adaptable and better at what he does. Also, telling that that's all you replied to in that post and not about how a personal opinion on a representational fictional character is affected by personal opinions of real life characters. There are exceptions of course, but eh, Wolfman's statements aren't particularly deep.

Oh stop being so disingenuous. What's to disseminate the "professional" from the "personal" regarding "So and so fictional female character is just an occasional girlfriend type just coz I know as I read 60's comics"?

And I didn't take it to the personal. You claimed you were a considerer of socio-political elements, a part of your discerning/art critique skill set, multiple times but in replies to me as well (it's irrelevant whether or not you remember it and I don't expect you to anyway). I just pointed out you weren't using those aspects in your skill set while critiquing Wolfman's opinion or Kevinroc's perspective towards Wolfman's opinion. That's all. You were the one to immediately exclaim about me coming for your "SJW card". Get over yourself.
    dude. tell you what, have a read of my edit. come back and we'll go from there.
    troo fan or death

OMIT may be a poor story (i just read the wikipedia summary and it sounds like the usual superhero silliness), but i don't know if that's a critique unique to it.

in reality, most problems in the marvel universe should be solvable considering that there are literal gods, time travel, super powers, magic and technology that can do anything freely available. why anyone in that universe is dying at all is beyond me.

but then, we'd never get conflict or stories. so yeah, the x-men have to face the brood all on their own again because the avengers are on holiday and the silver surfer got a new phone and keeps replying to their text message with "nu phone who dis".

that's the nature of these stories

happy to hear what else makes OMIT crap though
    Other super heroes wouldn't be a problem if OMD didn't specifically have Spider-Man ask Dr. Strange to use magic to let him ask the super genius heroes and villains of Marvel for help. Including Reed Richards, Beast, Dr. Doom, and many others. (Although Hank Pym would have been a Skrull at that point in time.)

If Dr. Strange didn't do this... If Peter had gone to Strange and not found him, this wouldn't be an issue. But it's there. And we get no explanation at all.

(The idea is Peter can't save Aunt May with the fantastic resources of the Marvel Universe. Which is then immediately undercut by Mephisto showing up and using his demon magic to make everything honky dory.)

Other super heroes wouldn't be a problem if OMD didn't specifically have Spider-Man ask Dr. Strange to use magic to let him ask the super genius heroes and villains of Marvel for help. Including Reed Richards, Beast, Dr. Doom, and many others. (Although Hank Pym would have been a Skrull at that point in time.)

If Dr. Strange didn't do this... If Peter had gone to Strange and not found him, this wouldn't be an issue. But it's there. And we get no explanation at all.

(The idea is Peter can't save Aunt May with the fantastic resources of the Marvel Universe. Which is then immediately undercut by Mephisto showing up and using his demon magic to make everything honky dory.)

riiiight. i see, its because these powerful characters are actually a deep part of the plot. they're helping peter do impossible shit on one hand but not on the other.

but...correct me if i'm wrong, isn't there some unspoken rule where most marvel heroes don't perform necromancy, even if they have the power to do so? or even life saving operations on civilians? know there's some moral hand wave thing going on there, but generally speaking...that's how it played out when i used to read more regularly.

in-universe, it's kinda unfair. there's a bit of an elitism at work.
    Last edited by boots; 12-02-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    troo fan or death

riiiight. i see, its because these powerful characters are actually a deep part of the plot. they're helping peter do impossible shit on one hand but not on the other.

but...correct me if i'm wrong, isn't there some unspoken rule where most marvel heroes don't perform necromancy, even if they have the power to do so? i know there's some moral hand wave thing going on there, but generally speaking...that's how it played out when i used to read more regularly.
    Aunt May wasn't dead in OMD. She was dying. And super heroes get involved in saving people who are otherwise dying all the time.

Aunt May wasn't dead in OMD. She was dying. And super heroes get involved in saving people who are otherwise dying all the time.
    yeah, i corrected that bit about death.

and do they? if my dad was dying from heart disease, could i knock on four freedoms plaza door and ask reed to fix him up? or get strange to mystically reverse his condition?

or is it reserved for the club members only?
    troo fan or death

yeah, i corrected that bit about death.

and do they? if my dad was dying from heart disease, could i knock on four freedoms plaza door and ask reed to fix him up? or get strange to mystically reverse his condition?

or is it reserved for the club members only?
    There was a Fantastic Four comic where the FF shrink themselves to deal with their friend Willie Lumpkin's seemingly inoperable brain tumor.

Playing favorites like that is also nothing new.