Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I think it's more of a case of if you were in New York at the time or live in New York, then it's understand why that memory would still be there.

But if you live on the other side of the Country, there's no reason why 9/11 should still effect you like it did 19 years ago. For New York, it happened yesterday, for everyone else, it's a distant memory that we shouldn't forget, but not act as if it's still a recent thing.

But maybe that's just me, I mean I live in a City which got bomber 4 years later over two days and within a year, it was practically shrugged off. Different cultures create different minds.
    9/11 didn't just affect New York City. It affected the whole world. A lot of people who worked and died in the towers were people from across the world. Likewise 9/11 also includes the plane that tried to attack Washington DC, one of which crashed in the Pentagon and another where the passengers rebelled which crashed in Pennsylvania. 9/11 also globally transformed, virtually overnight the entire nature of plane travel.

People don't remember this, but I went to airports as a kid, and they let families, friends and loved ones of passengers inside the airport all the way to the boarding gate. TSA...that was an agency created after 9/11. Didn't exist before. And those effects and norms were worldwide, after that airports were passengers only, even for domestic flights and so on.

The pages of Amazing Spider-Man actually offer some of the simplest and best records of the before and after. Take the famous kiss between Peter and MJ at JFK airport.

Peter MJ Kiss 2 - ASM#143 Conway-Andru.jpg

This happened in the '70s where Mary Jane despite not being a passenger, accompanies Peter and Robbie all the way to the Boarding Gate. This kind of scene can't happen anymore in the same setting in any contemporary setting anymore. It's an extinct moment. We lost this for good. When people talk of 9/11 as the end of innocence, well this was the innocence that used to exist before about air travel. If they do this scene again it would have to be outside the airport.

JMS/JRJR alluded to that in this moment where Peter and MJ say goodbye to the airport, and they part ways outside since Peter can't accompany MJ anymore into the airport area. In ASM #505

ASM#505 - Goodbye outside airport.jpg

This is part of how JMS' run reflected 9/11 so well. Not always directly (although he did do that with the 9/11 issue) but also in the background and the subtext. He did that with "Doomed Affairs" whcih was an allegory for the War in Iraq with Doom as Sadaam. And he did that in a simple background moment where obviously Peter and MJ (at this point in Comic Book Time) are obviously reminded of the place where they had their first kiss and the fact that they can't simply visit the spot where it happened unless they both happened to be flying. You can also see that reflected in the FDNY cap Peter wears as well.

Astonishing Member

I think it's more of a case of if you were in New York at the time or live in New York, then it's understand why that memory would still be there.

But if you live on the other side of the Country, there's no reason why 9/11 should still effect you like it did 19 years ago. For New York, it happened yesterday, for everyone else, it's a distant memory that we shouldn't forget, but not act as if it's still a recent thing.

But maybe that's just me, I mean I live in a City which got bomber 4 years later over two days and within a year, it was practically shrugged off. Different cultures create different minds.
    What happened on 9/11 may very well not have affected someone in Manhattan, Kansas as Manhattan, NY, but people lost friends and loved ones, not to mention the economic cost of that incident. It is not a cultural issue either. All kinds of people died. It did not matter if their skin color was White, black, yellow, red, or mixed or if their religion was Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and yes Muslim all kinds of people died on that day. That day should NEVER be shrugged off or forgotten because history tells us it can happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    As for Ultimate Venom, yeah he wasn't that bad about it probably because Bendis commented about how much he hated Venom for his Lethal Protector phase in the 90s, still he seemed to be happy to put Gargan in that position, i think that he ate people regurlary in Dark Avengers (plus his awfull mini), my biggest problem with Ultimate Venom apart from being one hight school girl away from being a hentai monster, is how bland he was, LP Venom was trash but at least he has a personality.
    Ultimate Venom's personality is only good in the Ultimate game lol.

Plus that whole "failed cure for cancer" was just odd, like aliens were to unrealistic for the modern and 100% real Ultimate universe, i know that it probablu has to do with that whole genetic war that was totally gonna come but it still felt ramdom.
    I think the cure for cancer **** is hilarious, how the **** you fail so bad at this you end up creating a sentient, cannibal suit?

Ultimates 2 is leaps and bounds better than the first volume.
    I don't mind the Ultimates, they can be edgelord at times and Captain America is a racist homophobe. But I enjoy it mostly because I like to see stories where the protagonists are the worst People.
    At least in volume 1, he didn't show any real racism, closest thing is when he makes a comment about the highest ranking black man is a captain, which is to show why he thought the whole thing about being woken up in the future wasn't legit, not that he particularly had a problem with a high ranking black man, and he worked under Fury with no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I cannot disagree more. I lived in New York during 9/11 and you cannot forget it, even almost 20 years later. FDR said about Pearl Harbor “December 7th 1941, a day which will live in infamy.” He was exactly right, and it is the same about 9/11.
    Cool, but most people don't live in New York, if you were affected personally by it by seeing it happen, and/or losing loved ones and whatnot, then it's understandable to still remember it, but for those who only heard of "this horrible thing happened once", then it's also understandable to forget it happened.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-23-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

I think the cure for cancer **** is hilarious, how the **** you fail so bad at this you end up creating a sentient, cannibal suit?

At least in volume 1, he didn't show any real racism, closest thing is when he makes a comment about the highest ranking black man is a captain, which is to show why he thought the whole thing about being woken up in the future wasn't legit, not that he particularly had a problem with a high ranking black man, and he worked under Fury with no complaints.

Cool, but most people don't live in New York, if you were affected personally by it by seeing it happen, and/or losing loved ones and whatnot, then it's understandable to still remember it, but for those who only heard of "this horrible thing happened once", then it's also understandable to forget it happened.
    “Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.” ( George Santayana). That is why we should not forget. There is some hater or lunatic out there who wants to repeat 9/11 all over again. As soon as we let our guard down it will happen again.

Mighty Member

“Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.” ( George Santayana). That is why we should not forget. There is some hater or lunatic out there who wants to repeat 9/11 all over again. As soon as we let our guard down it will happen again.
    Different context.
    We're not forgetting what happened, no one is saying that. In fact, as you pointed out, security changed a lot after 9/11 so there were measures put in place so that kind of thing doesn't happen again.
    But there's a massive difference between saying 'that was a thing that happened' and saying 'I still feel 9/11' and feeling like it still effects you even through it didn't directly effect you 19 years on.

For People who lived in the area or lost loved ones, that's the kind of thing that will stay with you. But I feel like there's some kind of hijacking bid tragedy if someone who lived in a rural Town hundreds of miles away with no one who links to those who did sadly die.

I mean, look at the media that came straight out of it, 9/11 effected films/music and comics for the rest of the decade. I'd say up to up about 2008 a lot of media was a response to what happened. And while the context is important to the text, they've sadly not aged too well given the current climate.
    I'd say we'd get the same with Covid for the next few years and then, in 20 years, the media that was a direct response to it would age poorly.

"Wheneve you feel like a failure, remember, Spider-Man's parents created a cure for cancer that kill and eats people"
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

"Wheneve you feel like a failure, remember, Spider-Man's parents created a cure for cancer that kill and eats people"
    I forget, wasn't there a revelation that the plane crash that killed them was because of the Symbiote? There was like a picture in either the comics or game that showed the Symbiote near the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I forget, wasn't there a revelation that the plane crash that killed them was because of the Symbiote? There was like a picture in either the comics or game that showed the Symbiote near the plane.
    There were two contradicting backstories for the death of Peter's parent, but yeah it was eventually revealed that Eddie's dad put the suit on the plane and they ended crashing and dying. The original implication if you are curious was that they died during the accident that turn Bruce into the Hulk, but apparently they surivived that.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

There were two contradicting backstories for the death of Peter's parent, but yeah it was eventually revealed that Eddie's dad put the suit on the plane and they ended crashing and dying. The original implication if you are curious was that they died during the accident that turn Bruce into the Hulk, but apparently they surivived that.
    Yeah, that was because of Bendis' wonky continuity during Ultimate Origin if I remember right. Man, I remember when I was so into the Ultimate Universe as a teenager .

Yeah, that was because of Bendis' wonky continuity during Ultimate Origin if I remember right. Man, I remember when I was so into the Ultimate Universe as a teenager .
    Four years in and retcons were already happening, i remember a different version of FF too, before the official one.

My first real contact with it was the Ultimate Spider-Man game (the game is cool, i finished it 5 times in a day lol), but for personal reasons i was able to buy the comics back then. By the time that i was able to do it, i kind of lost interest, it wasn't until last year when i started to explore it again.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Mighty Member

Bendis writes what Bendis wants.

I'm rather nostalgic for Ultimate Spider-man (and the Ultimate universe in general) as it's what got me into comics in the first place. And those first 5 or so years were fantastic for the line. But then Ultimatum happened and it was around that time that my interest for 616 heightened. Especially after House of M and Civil War, two events that I still enjoy to this day.

I think if the ultimate line ended there, I wouldn't be too upset. But it did give us the Maker so there's that at least.

If people working in security forget about it then they should be fired for being incompetent, but people who are not involved with such things, and have no reason to remember 9/11 because they weren't actually hurt by it have understandable reasons to not care about 9/11, the world doesn't revolve around US of A and its problems.

Look on the bright side, being killed by a parasitic cannibal suit is a way more metal way to die than just by cancer, sucks if someone without cancer dies by it anyways though .

The game shows the symbiote on the plane:

At 54:03, dunno about the comics.

Imagine surviving a fucking Hulk attack only to die in a plane crash, talk about lame .

Four years in and retcons were already happening, i remember a different version of FF too, before the official one.

My first real contact with it was the Ultimate Spider-Man game (the game is cool, i finished it 5 times in a day lol), but for personal reasons i was able to buy the comics back then. By the time that i was able to do it, i kind of lost interest, it wasn't until last year when i started to explore it again.
    Yeah that was part of the reason Ultimate comics started to suck (Even if there wasn't much good **** outside of Spidey), it became about as convoluted as 616, with not even 1/3 of the time of publication, think even without Ultimatum it would be doomed to die off eventually, all Ultimatum did was speedrun its death, although it surprisingly lasted for a while even after that.

Bendis writes what Bendis wants.

I'm rather nostalgic for Ultimate Spider-man (and the Ultimate universe in general) as it's what got me into comics in the first place. And those first 5 or so years were fantastic for the line. But then Ultimatum happened and it was around that time that my interest for 616 heightened. Especially after House of M and Civil War, two events that I still enjoy to this day.

I think if the ultimate line ended there, I wouldn't be too upset. But it did give us the Maker so there's that at least.
    Ultimate comics ending at Ultimatum would mean no Maker or Miles, so it'd be significant to have ended that early.

If people working in security forget about it then they should be fired for being incompetent, but people who are not involved with such things, and have no reason to remember 9/11 because they weren't actually hurt by it have understandable reasons to not care about 9/11, the world doesn't revolve around US of A and its problems.

Look on the bright side, being killed by a parasitic cannibal suit is a way more metal way to die than just by cancer, sucks if someone without cancer dies by it anyways though .

The game shows the symbiote on the plane:

At 54:03, dunno about the comics.

Imagine surviving a fucking Hulk attack only to die in a plane crash, talk about lame .

Yeah that was part of the reason Ultimate comics started to suck (Even if there wasn't much good **** outside of Spidey), it became about as convoluted as 616, with not even 1/3 of the time of publication, think even without Ultimatum it would be doomed to die off eventually, all Ultimatum did was speedrun its death, although it surprisingly lasted for a while even after that.

Ultimate comics ending at Ultimatum would mean no Maker or Miles, so it'd be significant to have ended that early.
    You survived the birth of a force of nature, just to be killed in a plane by a tentacle monster, talk about a downgrade.

"You didn't save my life, your ruined my death"

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Fantastic Member

Who are some other characters that were introduced as a new character but revealed to be an existing character just glowed up? Kindred and Hush are the immediate two that come to mind for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Who are some other characters that were introduced as a new character but revealed to be an existing character just glowed up? Kindred and Hush are the immediate two that come to mind for me.
    Actually Hush was new, is one of the reasons for why many people mock that story "oh my god who could be Hush, this new never mentioned long lost childhood friend of Bruce or everyone else" the story didn't exactlty have many suspects.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona