Page 85 of 104 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1559
    Ultimate Member

Or make a joke about Peter's choice of footwear....then again seeing MJ like that would kind of distract one from pretty much everything else...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Passed out before he could witness MJ in her skivvies...
    Nah keep Eddie as far away from her as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Or make a joke about Peter's choice of footwear....then again seeing MJ like that would kind of distract one from pretty much everything else...
    I just noticed that wtf

Ultimate Member

Yeah keep Eddie away from MJ too, though yeah those slippers are an odd choice...

That footwear is just Marvel dropping a subtle hint about Peter being a big fan of Ursa Major the Russian Superheroe.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Ultimate Member

Or the artist was a Chicago Bears fan or something like that...

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Or he bought them on the cheap and thought they were funny. You know spider-bear.

Hey y'all, here's a picture of MJ flipping the bird to JJ:

(Friendly neighbor#4)

Can't believe I didn't notice this on a first time read lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

(Friendly neighbor#4)

Literally LMAO

(Friendly neighbor#4)

New Daily Bugle headline:

"Masked Menace's New Partner-in-Crime Flips off EIC"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    New Daily Bugle headline:

"Masked Menace's New Partner-in-Crime Flips off EIC"
    This is perfect, you nailed it

(Friendly neighbor#4)

Lol, i think that i didn't notice it too before either, but this is great.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

After reading some comments about MJ by spiderfan and Luk, i kind of wanted to talk a bit about her characther post-Stan Lee and pre-ASM #259 when her relationship with Peter changed forever. Especially because i've been reading a lot 70s Spider-Man.

In Conway's run is when you start to see her less shallow side, mainly because a lot of that run Peter is haunted by Gwen's death and is something that he doesn't come to terms with until thr first Clone Saga happens. Generally their dynamic is Peter being kind of brooding while MJ tries to make him forget about his problems and at the same time she gets the slow realization that she actually wants something more serious with Peter and Peter reciprocates (we all know the scene .

In Wein's run things get a bit more complicated, partially because i don't think that Wein knew what to do with then, so there was a lot of Peter running off to be Spider-Man and pissing her off in the process, to the point that she start to date Flash to make Peter jelaous, but they still have some nice moments, like MJ helping him with Aunt May when she is sick, but the general dynamic is still the same whenever Wein isn't using "Abandoning the date" plot point.

In Wolfman's run, things get a bid weird, because Marv is kind of trying really hard to go back to the Dikto days, so Peter and MJ behavior gets a bit weird in comparison with the previous runs, still i do like a scene when Peter basically says in his head "every time that i want to get close to MJ, she suddenly pulls the party girl persona" wich basically tells you that she still has problems opening up to him in spite of she still being in love, althought Peter proposing out of nowhere probably didn't help, but it sort of fits neatly in the narrative of their romance, because it clearly wasn't the right time, i think that Wolfman was also the first writer in making reference to MJ parents and they were divorced.

With all this i said that the reveals by DeFalco actually sort of help to explain a lot of her behavior, especially in 259 when talks about her backstory anfd later when Peter wants to quit and he angryly shouts at her about how she doesn't know why he is Spider-Man because she never asked and never tried to understand and she admitted that he was rigth "Peter i'm asking now" and he proceeds to tell her the story of AF # 15, i hope that she wasn't put up by the narration lol. I think than that issue was ASM #275

Still, i think that my view of then in the 70s is basically two people in love that want to be closer than they are but neither was willing to really take the first step to get closer to eacth other, until they weren't a thing anymore, but luckily it wasn't too late.

I know that the narrative is probably not perfect and there are probably some holes in it (i haven't read a good chunk of 70s Spec Spider and there is definetly a team up issue when she clearly considers Peter and Spidey to be two different people), but most of it kind of fits strangely enougth. As Lukmendes said at some point, she really was like a sort of happy accident in Peter's life lol.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    After reading some comments about MJ by spiderfan and Luk, i kind of wanted to talk a bit about her characther post-Stan Lee and pre-ASM #259 when her relationship with Peter changed forever. Especially because i've been reading a lot 70s Spider-Man.

In Conway's run is when you start to see her less shallow side, mainly because a lot of that run Peter is haunted by Gwen's death and is something that he doesn't come to terms with until thr first Clone Saga happens. Generally their dynamic is Peter being kind of brooding while MJ tries to make him forget about his problems and at the same time she gets the slow realization that she actually wants something more serious with Peter and Peter reciprocates (we all know the scene .

In Wein's run things get a bit more complicated, partially because i don't think that Wein knew what to do with then, so there was a lot of Peter running off to be Spider-Man and pissing her off in the process, to the point that she start to date Flash to make Peter jelaous, but they still have some nice moments, like MJ helping him with Aunt May when she is sick, but the general dynamic is still the same whenever Wein isn't using "Abandoning the date" plot point.

In Wolfman's run, things get a bid weird, because Marv is kind of trying really hard to go back to the Dikto days, so Peter and MJ behavior gets a bit weird in comparison with the previous runs, still i do like a scene when Peter basically says in his head "every time that i want to get close to MJ, she suddenly pulls the party girl persona" wich basically tells you that she still has problems opening up to him in spite of she still being in love, althought Peter proposing out of nowhere probably didn't help, but it sort of fits neatly in the narrative of their romance, because it clearly wasn't the right time, i think that Wolfman was also the first writer in making reference to MJ parents and they were divorced.

With all this i said that the reveals by DeFalco actually sort of help to explain a lot of her behavior, especially in 259 when talks about her backstory anfd later when Peter wants to quit and he angryly shouts at her about how she doesn't know why he is Spider-Man because she never asked and never tried to understand and she admitted that he was rigth "Peter i'm asking now" and he proceeds to tell her the story of AF # 15, i hope that she wasn't put up by the narration lol. I think than that issue was ASM #275

Still, i think that my view of then in the 70s is basically two people in love that want to be closer than they are but neither was willing to really take the first step to get closer to eacth other, until they weren't a thing anymore, but luckily it wasn't too late.

I know that the narrative is probably not perfect and there are probably some holes in it (i haven't read a good chunk of 70s Spec Spider and there is definetly a team up issue when she clearly considers Peter and Spidey to be two different people), but most of it kind of fits strangely enougth. As Lukmendes said at some point, she really was like a sort of happy accident in Peter's life lol.
    The Peter-MJ romance is definitely an accident a case of something organic coalescing from several serial narrative strands that ultimately bound it together thanks to reader engagement and popularity.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

IMO it works well enough that you'd think the entire story of their relationship was by design if you weren't privy to all of the behind the scenes stuff. Conway really laid the groundwork fairly early on that Mary Jane was a very conflicted individual as a result of some underlying trauma ("This is going to sound like a cop out...but I don't want to love him. I like the guy too much for that kind of scene.") And then other writers expanded on that. Even Wolfman's proposal rejection works under that framework; especially when you consider that Mary Jane knew that Peter wasn't being completely honest with her at that time.. so how could she be vulnerable with him? (And the follow up to that rejection in Spec further lends to the idea that she was very emotionally conflicted)

I'd really love Marvel to make an oversized collection of all the key issues in their relationship so that the entire story could be read in chronological order without all of the excess fat. I was thinking of putting one together myself. Maybe one day.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    IMO it works well enough that you'd think the entire story of their relationship was by design if you weren't privy to all of the behind the scenes stuff. Conway really laid the groundwork fairly early on that Mary Jane was a very conflicted individual as a result of some underlying trauma ("This is going to sound like a cop out...but I don't want to love him. I like the guy too much for that kind of scene.") And then other writers expanded on that. Even Wolfman's proposal rejection works under that framework; especially when you consider that Mary Jane knew that Peter wasn't being completely honest with her at that time.. so how could she be vulnerable with him? (And the follow up to that rejection in Spec further lends to the idea that she was very emotionally conflicted)

I'd really love Marvel to make an oversized collection of all the key issues in their relationship so that the entire story could be read in chronological order without all of the excess fat. I was thinking of putting one together myself. Maybe one day.
    Someday, yeah. Spider-Man: The Amazing Story of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson. At least, that's what I think it should be called.
    The spider is always on the hunt.