Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The thing is a boycott will really I think be the only thing that works. Dave clearly does not care. Every time he is called out for his hate speech he doubles down, laughs it off and calls it part of his bit. So he aint going to change. Companies do not care about some one being outraged at them. The world we live in it happens all the time. But they care about the bottom line and thier profits. it is not enough for people to be upset and say "Hey take Chappelle off the air." because they will not. He makes them money and I am sure people have signed up just to watch his special and see what the anger is about.

How many Gay or trans people watch Netflix? I do. All my friends who are gay do as well. As do my friends who say they support the gay and Trans community. I am pretty sure a lot of gay and Trans watch Netflix. So instead of saying "Take Chappelle off the air." They need to say "Take him off the air. We are going to cancel our membership until you do." if they lose even 10 percent of their membership they will take notice. And they may at the end of the day do something. They will listen to the bank more then random angry people on a message board or on Twitter.

Lots of people called for a boycott of Twitter and Face book till they got rid of Trump and cracked down on the platforms that gave hate speech a place to post. Yet I really havnt heard the same calls against Netflix which is odd.
    I think the difference between Trump and Chappelle is , if we watch Dave's stand up for years he has mocked himself for being stupid to leave a hit show and not being famous enough. (His story where his son meets Kevin Hart and he gets shown up is an example). Trump never does do this or even be a working class man who climbed for years to become an overnight success as he became etc. In essance...Chappelle seems to be human in his stand up. Donald Trump has never had this and appears as a spoiled rich man...repeatedly.

Also in looking its not just right wingers and usual audience applauding Dave for this. A number of liberal people and posts on Youtube and FB have seemed to back Chappelle due to his comedy. Its one of those great divide issues in a way. There isn't an outcry to cancel netflix as we saw with some things they have done (one show in particular last year had many cancelling netflix) beyond some pushing virtual walkouts and demanding netflix remove Chappelle.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Then to be honest there will not be any change. Netflix I very much doubt is going to cancel Chappelle ny time soon. I see it going the Chappelle saying he is taking time off. but Netflix will not remove his current special.
    Netflix revealed his special I believe ranks 2nd to Squid Game right now in views on platform. The saying of Eric Bischoff always rings true...'Controversy creates $$$" .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

And If I do ever get my Netflix back on ...it will be to watch this Squid Game. Which sounds insane. (The SNL country song Gonna play the Squid Game last night was funny)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It seems that Chappelle's target is scolds, rather than trans individuals.
    That's bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But must admit I avoid finding out the views of favourite writers on unrelated subjects!
    I have a long time co-worker who is lifelong friends with Weird Al Yankovic's drummer, Bermuda Bob Shorts. He told me a couple years back that whenever Weird Al tours through town, if there's anyone I know going to the show to have him get them on the VIP list to go backstage to meet him.

I have a friend who is the BIGGEST Weird Al fan, and he told me he was going to the show. So I let him know, I have the most random connection that could get him to meet an idol of his.

And he said, "NO. Never meet your heroes."

I was like, "What?"

He told me that his mental image of Weird Al being the goofiest, nicest guy could get ruined were he to actually meet him, and in the moment for whatever reason he was under the weather and not feeling well, or like, dismissive of him, or somehow rude... he just would rather keep his idea of who Weird Al is rather than meet him and it not matching up to it.

NEVER MEET YOUR HEROES.

And, I see his point. Most of the athletes I looked up to in the 1980s and a bunch of actors have been... frankly disappointments to me as time's gone by, and social media platforms have only amplified their ability to communicate with people, for better or worse. It can leave a fella jaded.

So... all of what you said, yeah. Sometimes the more enigmatic someone whose work you like is, the better off we are for just not knowing.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

But in the case of Weird Al he is a really cool guy. At the Kings Island theme park there was the Timber Wolf Amphitheatre Al did a show there. This was years ago back when I still went out in public. My friends and I waited for about an hour and a half after the show at the entrance the performers use and he came out. We just said Hi and we were huge fans and loved the show. he came over and talked to us for about 15 minutes adn was just so cool and signed a couple things for us and let us take pics. he was going to stay longer but his handler, or manager, or publicist I dont know who the guy was but he was the one being rude and Tell Al he had to get going and he was taking too long and etc..

But Weird Al! Super nice
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen I present to you that creepy Black mirror episode with the robot dogs, but in real life.
    What could possibly go wrong?
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

And sometimes they're exactly what you've heard about them. I've experienced both ends of the personality spectrum when it comes to comic book creators. When my mother and I met John Byrne, he yelled at us, well not just us, everyone waiting for an autograph after a panel discussion. He said, "You people have no idea what it's like to have to do this!" After I got his autograph, my Mom said, "Well, he was very rude." I replied, "Yeah, I've heard that about him."

On the other hand, at another convention, I waited in line to get John Romita Jr.'s autograph when, just as I made it to the front of the line, JR Jr.'s pen ran out of ink. Silver lining: I got a chance to chat with him while a show runner got him a new pen. JR Jr. could not have been nicer. He talked about how much he enjoyed drawing Spider-Man and Thor, among other Marvel characters, and then he signed my copy of the new Thor #1.
    Watching television is not an activity.

But in the case of Weird Al he is a really cool guy. At the Kings Island theme park there was the Timber Wolf Amphitheatre Al did a show there. This was years ago back when I still went out in public. My friends and I waited for about an hour and a half after the show at the entrance the performers use and he came out. We just said Hi and we were huge fans and loved the show. he came over and talked to us for about 15 minutes adn was just so cool and signed a couple things for us and let us take pics. he was going to stay longer but his handler, or manager, or publicist I dont know who the guy was but he was the one being rude and Tell Al he had to get going and he was taking too long and etc..

But Weird Al! Super nice
    The worst thing I have heard about Weird Al is that he can come across as boringly normal - which can be a shock for people expecting his private persona to match his public one.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I have a long time co-worker who is lifelong friends with Weird Al Yankovic's drummer, Bermuda Bob Shorts. He told me a couple years back that whenever Weird Al tours through town, if there's anyone I know going to the show to have him get them on the VIP list to go backstage to meet him.

I have a friend who is the BIGGEST Weird Al fan, and he told me he was going to the show. So I let him know, I have the most random connection that could get him to meet an idol of his.

And he said, "NO. Never meet your heroes."

I was like, "What?"

He told me that his mental image of Weird Al being the goofiest, nicest guy could get ruined were he to actually meet him, and in the moment for whatever reason he was under the weather and not feeling well, or like, dismissive of him, or somehow rude... he just would rather keep his idea of who Weird Al is rather than meet him and it not matching up to it.

NEVER MEET YOUR HEROES.

And, I see his point. Most of the athletes I looked up to in the 1980s and a bunch of actors have been... frankly disappointments to me as time's gone by, and social media platforms have only amplified their ability to communicate with people, for better or worse. It can leave a fella jaded.

So... all of what you said, yeah. Sometimes the more enigmatic someone whose work you like is, the better off we are for just not knowing.
    Same think happened to a friend of mine. We'd both been huge fans of Hellboy from the beginning. He went to a comic convention one time about a decade ago that Mike Mignola was attending and got his chance to finally meet him. Mignola, for whatever reason, was kind of dismissive and short with him. To this day, he won't read any more Hellboy comics. He got rid of all of his Hellboy T-shirts, took down his Hellboy posters, etc. I wonder if this encounter reflects how Mike Mignola actually is or if he was just having a bad day.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

But Weird Al! Super nice
    I've heard others repeat this same sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The worst thing I have heard about Weird Al is that he can come across as boringly normal - which can be a shock for people expecting his private persona to match his public one.
    Yea I can get that vibe. he wasnt acting crazy or anything. he just talked to us like normal people and answered some questions. He was pretty low key. I mean he was wild on the stage and it was late so I am sure he was tired. But talking to us for 15 minutes at 1130 at night after putting on a high paced 2 hour show? Man was my hero and still is to this day! And I am made as hell he is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

See, I don't much like the NEVER MEET YOUR HEROES line because it encourages us to not bother getting to know people. Because the trend today is, upon discovering a single thing we don't like about an artist/celebrity/whoever to decry them, stop supporting them, and loathe them forever.

Well in my life I've had the fortune to meet Stan Lee, Peter Capaldi, Michael Crichton, Kieron Gillen and Bill Pullman. All of the encounters were pleasant and they didn't disappoint me at all. Capaldi and Gillen especially because they really enjoy interacting with fans. I disagree with Crichton for his very troubling views on the Japanese, and I wasn't thrilled to learn he was basically a sex addict and a pothead, but damn if I didn't enjoy everything he ever had published.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    (Without trying to get too judgemental...)

If a group of people are openly being assaulted and stomped in the street with almost zero consequences?

Nothing should have to endear you to their cause. They are just trying to get to the level where they can go on with their lives being able to walk down the street unharmed.

Someone putting their own feathers being ruffled over supporting that very basic level of "Rights..." is just hard to wrap my mind around.
    Did I say that? No. I'm not against trans rights. I've voted in support of them numerous times now. I help trans students through the Allies group I helped form at the school I work at. All I was saying is that, despite this, I still get shat upon because I won't join transfolk and trans allies in treating people like Chappelle as Public Enemy #1. He's a comedian. Donald Trump is the former and potentially the next president of the United States. There are more important battles to fight here. Is what Chappelle said bigotry? It can certainly be argued that it's borderline hate speech. Should bigotry of all forms and those who give voice to them being stamped out? Well, there are varying degrees of bigotry/hurtful remarks and actions, and particularly in the case of creative art, art will always be controversial to some individual or group.

And while I'm not defending bigotry with this next statement: the projecting of otherness is a part of human nature. It's unfortunate and I think it's wrong, but as a student of history and an observer of 21st century life, I really don't see that going away. If the global connectivity afforded by the internet and social media hasn't managed to stamp out that annoying habit of the human psyche, I don't think anything will. I'd sure love for us to get away from the "hate and fear them and beat them to death in a dark alley" intensity of othering minorities, but it doesn't seem like the practice of othering in general is ever going to disappear. Hell, we're all guilty of othering the GQP.
    Last edited by Hellion; 10-17-2021 at 06:20 PM.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen I present to you that creepy Black mirror episode with the robot dogs, but in real life.
    When the robot revolution comes, these things will be used to hunt us down.