Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perry and Clark spoilers from Batman/Superman

In the latest issue Perry told Gordon that Clark is basically a horrible deceitful person, a fake reporter and Gordon should not entertain the thought of working with him. Gordon responded Clark won two Pulitzers for the planet.

Perry of all knows all the good Superman has done for the world. Clark quit the planet and Perry begged him to return in Johns run.

I know Perry feels personally betrayed because his words Clark was like family.

But his anger and hate seems over the top with Perry personally knowing how good a friend and person Clark is and all Superman has done and sacrificed for earth. I don't understand how he could be so harsh. Clark would not have been at the planet when Lois revealed the secret if not for him. Clark had moved on. You usually stick up for your friends in tough times, not throw them to the wolves. I feel Perry isn't being fair.

Plus if Superman can help the GCPD who is Perry to tell them to turn him away.

It was shocking to read, but thinking it over such a reaction doesn't necessarily strike me as odd. Its one of emotion, and there's strong emotion to be had here on two fronts. One, we know how Perry White feels about his craft. He believes in good, honest news and wants good, honest reporters working under his watch. A secret like this pretty much flies in the face of what he stands for in his profession. Second, and probably more importantly, he says he "loved that boy". So his feelings for Clark run deep. He was like a son to him. To be hit with something like this has gotta hurt, in the same way it hurt Lois. Put those two things together and I think it kinda makes sense that'd he'd have such a harsh reaction. Do I think he hates Clark? No. He loves him. Or else he wouldn't be this mad.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

That was actually pretty shocking.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It was shocking to read, but thinking it over such a reaction doesn't necessarily strike me as odd. Its one of emotion, and there's strong emotion to be had here on two fronts. One, we know how Perry White feels about his craft. He believes in good, honest news and wants good, honest reporters working under his watch. A secret like this pretty much flies in the face of what he stands for in his profession. Second, and probably more importantly, he says he "loved that boy". So his feelings for Clark run deep. He was like a son to him. To be hit with something like this has gotta hurt, in the same way it hurt Lois. Put those two things together and I think it kinda makes sense that'd he'd have such a harsh reaction. Do I think he hates Clark? No. He loves him. Or else he wouldn't be this mad.
    I think that's the point that explains everything here. Perry is angry at Clark because he feels betrayed. The fact the revelation ended up hurting his newspaper probably didn't help.
    Unfair? Definitely. But he's clearly not speaking with his mind here.
    Funny, though, that Gordon ends up defending Clark, considering how their meeting went.
    Also, is every one else wondering what's going on with Diana here? I mean, it's the second time she's mentionned by a Planet staffer. How does she fit in all this.
    And how come Perry has his arm broken?
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Despite how Perry feels about the personal betrayal he has to believe Superman could help the GCPD if needed

I am also wondering if pride has something to do with it. Perry sees himself as the best reporter in history except maybe for Lois and basically it was his life yet the biggest scoop ever was under his nose for five years and he couldn't see it. I wish they would have an issue going into more detail of Perry and Clark because if I am not mistaken this is the first time he ever learned, kinda like Gordon in DKRises and it should be explored
    Last edited by Darth Kal-el; 08-13-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Perry is a shadow monster too...

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Despite how Perry feels about the personal betrayal he has to believe Superman could help the GCPD if needed

I am also wondering if pride has something to do with it. Perry sees himself as the best reporter in history except maybe for Lois and basically it was his life yet the biggest scoop ever was under his nose for five years and he couldn't see it. I wish they would have an issue going into more detail of Perry and Clark because if I am not mistaken this is the first time he ever learned, kinda like Gordon in DKRises and it should be explored
    Well, he doesn't seem to really know the specifics of the situation. The way I understood the scene, Gordon has been keeping it fairly vague, and didn't say wether or not it's a "fate of the world at stake" type of situation . For all he knows, Clark might have just been applying for a job at the GCPD, in which case the fact he has been lying to cover what would be unethical by the standards of his profession would be "relevant" information. Or more likely, he has no idea why the GCPD is interested in him and just gives an honest answer about a topic he has bad feelings about.
    Thing is, Perry didn't really have any meaningful interaction with Superman in this continuity, so he wouldn't "know" all the good Superman did any more than any editor would. The one he knew was Clark Kent. Except that what he thought he knew wasn't nearly as accurate as he thought, and the truth about him -according to Lois anyway- ended up hurting the credibility of his newspaper (something he is pretty protective of) and might very well cost his job.

Fantastic Member

He just found out that someone he cared about very deeply, and a staffer of tremendous talent, lied to him on a near-daily basis, turned in copy on himself, has potentially wasted his own career and jeopardized the Planet. He has a right to be upset, and likely still cares about Clark as a person. But Clark's actions kind of sucked.

All of which is why I'm interested in seeing the secret ID stay gone so Superman can begin to tackle some of these hypocrisies. My hope is that he can return to journalism in some capacity, eventually, but with all the cards on the table.

BANNED

They were trying to make it similar to J. Jonah Jameson's reaction over the Spider-man reveal, but at least there the reaction was a bit real. Also, recall that Pak did wrote for Marvel so the reactions are a bit similar to a point.

Fantastic Member

I feel like maybe some people don't appreciate just how unethical Clark's Superman/journalism shtick is.

And every time in their working relationship Perry asked Clark how he obtained information/was at a scene that was the result of Superman-related activities, Clark looked him in the eyes and lied. That's hard to get over, especially with how many times Perry stepped up to bat for him. For all Perry knows, the man he knew for years was a complete fabrication. (The reader knows better, that Clark is a genuine person outside the Superman role, but Perry does not.)
    Last edited by Cipher; 08-13-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    They were trying to make it similar to J. Jonah Jameson's reaction over the Spider-man reveal, but at least there the reaction was a bit real. Also, recall that Pak did wrote for Marvel so the reactions are a bit similar to a point.
    Yeah, but there the point is that Jonah's "he was like a son to me" is utterly and obliviously hypocritical, because he's a vile human being who among other things gleefully ripped off a teenager taking care of a sick family member who weekly gave him record-breaking exclusive photos at every opportunity he could devise. Perry, meanwhile, actually was close with Clark, and while damn harsh and unfair here is pretty understandable in his reaction as a result.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    I feel like maybe some people don't appreciate just how unethical Clark's Superman/journalism shtick is.

And every time in their working relationship Perry asked Clark how he obtained information/was at a scene that was the result of Superman-related activities, Clark looked him in the eyes and lied. That's hard to get over, especially with how many times Perry stepped up to bat for him. For all Perry knows, the man he knew for years was a complete fabrication. (The reader knows better, that Clark is a genuine person outside the Superman role, but Perry does not.)
    Yeah, I think some readers don't quite get how much Clark writing about Superman, or lying about his sources, is a big deal.
    I have worked on the journalism gig, and I have seen a case of someone writing about a thing related to himself. The guy was fired instantly. That kind of stuff is a very, very, very big deal in the profession, and it's perfectly logical for a man like Perry White to consider that Clark betrayed his trust for doing so.
    The other thing with the secret identity thing is that, by discovering that part of what you knew was a lie, it puts everything else into question. As you said, Clark could be a complete fabrication. The "real Clark" may very well have died in that car crash with his parents, and Superman faked some papers to pretend to be him. Ho, sure, Clark would explain how he's a real person and he's doing this to a normal life. But how could Perry know he's telling the truth and not trying to weasel his way out? After all, the guy has been lying to him every day since they met, to the point of being unethical in his profession.
    That's the problem with lying. Once you're exposed, people tend not to asssume you're being honest anymore.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Is Perry White a shadow monster?

wow. They really want to trash all of Supernan's support system, don't they? They're either going to have to give clark a whole new life, or magically put the genie back in the bottle, with everyone, including Clark, forgetting what happened. But I don't know if I'll ever look at Lois or perry the same way again. I was getting kind of tired of them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

How much was Clark writing about Superman in the New 52 though? He doesn't write about the Justice League at all. They've made a point of Clark's thing being social justice stories. To the point they continuously mock him for it.