Page 555 of 568 FirstFirst ... 55455505545551552553554555556557558559565 ... LastLast
Results 8,311 to 8,325 of 8518
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Kind of sad how some people downplays John Stewart's leadership and make it sound like it started from Robert Venditti, which is just completely false.
    So a book called Hal Jordan & TGLC was really a stealth John Stewart book? I thought Black Panther was the only book that did that.

So the artist who stated that book was about Hal was lying?

What book were they reading?

So I guess those folks ignore the GLC books before and after New 52.

I think it's a SADDER commentary about the lack of John Stewart material in trades. That actually showed all that. Which as always is the fault of DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    My take is, if I like a character, I don't give damn if the next person does not. It is weird when folks risk getting banned having heated discussions. If anything, I would rather read why someone does not like a character, just understand their POV.

It was cool that so many Hal fans had such positive things to say about John.

I maintain silence, and just read the stuff. I leave the regulating to the moderators.
    Hey, I'm a fan of both! I think one person in the Hal thread was mostly not liking Venditti setting up Hal as a strawman when he was leader just so John could look like a good one, rather than the person not liking John in general ... something like that. [shrug]

Is John Stewart's full first name Jonathan, or is it something else? I've seen internet posters call him John, and I've also seen other posters call him Jon. In the February 2010 issue of "Green Lantern" (#49), Geoff Johns had one of the Blackest Night characters call him "John" and then a bit later in the same issue either the same character or another Blackest Night character called him "Jonathan."

Did you read that thread?

I thought it was pretty funny.

I actually laugh when folks speak ill towards my favorite characters. Perhaps I just have a morbid curiosity to see what they dislike about a character I enjoy.
    Yea, I read it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Ditto. It's funny to see that occur somewhere else other than here.
    It occurred in other threads, including that one as well. But many of those comments has been deleted by the mods. I would say that this thread is much worse when it comes down to that.

This usually happens when a fan feels their character gets sidelined over the other character with the same cape (like in the Wally appreciation thread as well). If the tables turned, the opposite would happen from both sides.

I still think I should've said something about appreciation threads not needing to be used to disparage other characters, but I guess I was too entertained by the exchange.
    That's why the rules were created in the first place. Before then, posters would get banned, due to causing fan wars, throwing personal attacks at each other.

One thing that makes John a great leader is that as an architect, he is detailed oriented (like his constructs).

The other thing that makes John a great leader is that as a marine sniper, he knows all about war, and being efficient on the battlefield.

As stated in the Hal thread, Salaak is great with logistics, but he is more about numbers than individual situations and circumstances.

Also stated in the Hal thread, Kilowog is the trainer, but I doubt he has the patience to go over numbers, and the logistics of running the GLC.

John knows what it means to sit behind a desk, prepare for contingencies, and the everyday GLC agenda.

John knows what it means to be on the front lines, and look for the most efficient ways to resolve a conflict.

With John, you are getting the best of both worlds.

It was not a knock against Hal for not being a strategic planner. As a pilot, he makes split-second decisions in real time, and is more comfortable taking risks without involving others. Hal does not need to be weighed down with red tape. Bored called Hal the point man, and that made total sense. Making Hal the leader was actually a bad way to properly utilize his talents.

As others have stated, John displayed leadership qualities back in the 1980's, the Mosaic run, the Darkstars run, and even during Dwayne McDuffie's JLA run (without being the official leader). John was clearly a leader during the VJ run on GLC, in addition to mentoring new recruits on missions.

I prefer John not be the leader, but it did make sense for RV to make Stewart the leader of the GLC while the Guardians were unavailable.
    Very well said. I 100% agree.

John had a chance to take over as the chairman of the JLA, but he declined. But when he and the team managed to take upon Starbreaker, he still gave out orders to the team on how to take him down. If it wasn't for John's great leadership, they wouldn't be able to successfully defeat him. That just shows how great of a leader John has been.

John also has leadership in the JL/JLU toons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Is John Stewart's full first name Jonathan, or is it something else? I've seen internet posters call him John, and I've also seen other posters call him Jon. In the February 2010 issue of "Green Lantern" (#49), Geoff Johns had one of the Blackest Night characters call him "John" and then a bit later in the same issue either the same character or another Blackest Night character called him "Jonathan."
    From what I understand, it's just "John". I don't remember the character ever being given a "full" name like "Bartholomew" for Barry or "Harold" for Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    From what I understand, it's just "John". I don't remember the character ever being given a "full" name like "Bartholomew" for Barry or "Harold" for Hal.
    I recall Geoff John's referring to him as Jonathan in his run once.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Emerald 23 View Post
    At first, I thought they were gonna go the Parallax route as well, but then I got another idea. Maybe what they were/are still going to do is have Hal there as the veteran mentor for a while, and then give him a heroic sendoff a few movies down the line, leaving John as the main GL of the cinematic universe like in the DCAU.
    I could be wrong, but I think the partnership between John & Hal in the film will stay, provided the movie is successful enough to have a trilogy. I don't see WB killing off Hal.

It might be a while before we see any crossovers in the DCEU. Their next few films, not named Wonder Woman, have to turn a profit.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hey, I'm a fan of both! I think one person in the Hal thread was mostly not liking Venditti setting up Hal as a strawman when he was leader just so John could look like a good one, rather than the person not liking John in general ... something like that. [shrug]
    It can be tough being a fan of both, especially when reading comments. They both have their strengths and weaknesses which is why they work better as a team.

Neither one of them should have been more than a field leader, but the Guardians have been butchered so many times that someone else had to take over for a spell.

You handled serious business in the thread. You kept it civil, and stuck to the facts.

Extraordinary Member

I'd have a laugh is folks started using his nickname again: "Square".

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    I recall Geoff John's referring to him as Jonathan in his run once.
    Same. I haven't really heard him or any other writer referred to him as "Jonathan", other than that one time in Geoff Johns' run.

Mighty Member

If DC had their own Illuminati, like Marvel (that secret, secret group with Prof X, Black Bolt, Strange, Reed) would John be involved with something like that or is it not his style?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    If DC had their own Illuminati, like Marvel (that secret, secret group with Prof X, Black Bolt, Strange, Reed) would John be involved with something like that or is it not his style?
    I don't think he'd be involved in it.

BANNED

Well, if Batman were on it, I could see John on it too, but I doubt they would go as hard and dark as the Marvel Illuminati.